Working With Luster Dust??

Decorating By tabs8774 Updated 2 Feb 2006 , 5:50pm by tastycakes

tabs8774 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tabs8774 Posted 2 Feb 2006 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 4

i bought some gold and smokey amethyst luster dust and i'm not sure how to use it correctly. i mixed a tsp of water with soe of the gold and used it like paint for the most recent cake i did but i'm sure there has to be other ways to use this awesome stuff. i want to collect all the colors now icon_razz.gificon_smile.gif . please send me some ideas!! tyia

3 replies
rach1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rach1 Posted 2 Feb 2006 , 5:42pm
post #2 of 4

You can dust it straight on dry....looks lovely over dark paste..

Or you can mix with rejuvinator spirit ( dont think I have spelt that right) to paint with ..lovely..or just use clear alcohol...

Schmoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmoop Posted 2 Feb 2006 , 5:44pm
post #3 of 4

I have used luster dust on a couple cakes...wanted to see what it would look like...I LOVE IT TOO! I used lemon extract to mix and I have seen on quite a foew posts that clear vodka is an option too! Let me know if you find a good price somewhere icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

tastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycakes Posted 2 Feb 2006 , 5:50pm
post #4 of 4

I use clear vodka also. It seems to dry really uickly, so especially in summer it doesn't leave the fondant too moist. Sometimes I pour it right into the little pot that it comes in, then just leave it open for a day or so to evaporate - goes right back to powder! You can paint on fondant, gumpaste, crusted buttercream, royal icing......just go wild. Those little pots aren't cheap, but they last quite a while. You can also use them just as you would chalk to royal icing decorations or gum paste for a more shimmery look. I get very excited about luster dust! Even try it to paint on decorated cookies. I tried it on some chocolate lollipops and it worked fine too.......have fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%