I Am In Shock

Decorating By freddyfl Updated 10 Mar 2007 , 9:50pm by mkolmar

freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 5:20pm
post #1 of 17

My son has dyspraxia and has been going to speech and occupational therapy for the last three years at the same place. Well his speech therapist just called and said that they are closing their doors next friday. The company gave its employees and clients a weeks notice. I am totally still in shock. So, I need an idea for a cake to say thank you and good luck to everyone. I have to have it made by wednesday. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

16 replies
freddyfl Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 5:32pm
post #2 of 17

bump!

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 5:41pm
post #3 of 17

What about a cake with Spring flowers? I know this is a sad time, but maybe this would cheer them up a little.

Cindy

freddyfl Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 7:03pm
post #4 of 17

THanks cindy. I think that I am going to do a FBCT of Little Suzy's Zoo growth chart and then going down the sides of it write: Thank you PSTS for helping me to grow! THen I thought I would do cookies of witzy(the little duck) blowing on a dadelion fluff and say something like Wishing you a fond farewell on the card to each of his therapists. Does that sound like a good plan?

alip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alip Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 9:31pm
post #5 of 17

I think that sounds like a great idea! Suzy Zoo characters are so cute and cheerful.

freddyfl Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 6:05am
post #6 of 17

This isn't really cake related, but it is for my son's speech therapist. I am thinking of making a little scrapbook for the one who was his original therapist. Can ya'll read it and tell me honestly if it sounds okay? Thank you. I have to have it done by wednesday when I bring the cake in.

When I was just a boy of 3, I came
to you when I could barely speak.
And with your help you saw me through, and gave me the tools I needed to communicate. The frustration I felt turned to joy and
I became a brand new boy.

Hooray, now I am 4, and I am learning so much more! I can finally say my Ks. I am no longer Hamden, but Kamden!
My speech is getting so much better and every week I learn more and more letters!

Boy am I big, I am a whoppin 5!
I get speech now twice a week.
Between You and Lisa I feel quite diversified! But lots of changes are in store for me. Lisa leaves and Deborah comes in. You are now just my friend, but Ill not forget what Ive been taught.

Look at me, I just turned 6!
And boy am I in an awful fix!
PSTS is closing its doors and I probably wont see that lady who calls me Sally anymore. It breaks my heart to say goodbye, but I will never forget all that youve done, because you have made my life an easier one.

Thank You!

clsilvus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clsilvus Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 6:16am
post #7 of 17

Very touching, made me teary eyed. I'm sure his speech therapist will love it!

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 6:21am
post #8 of 17

Oh my gosh ... that poem is amazing!!!! I guarantee it will make all of the speech therapists cry!!! So touching!

scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 6:27am
post #9 of 17

Your poem is great, and I think that's a perfect idea for a cake!

freddyfl Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 6:35am
post #10 of 17

Thanks ya'll I was getting all teary and cryin as I was writing. it. Next wednesday is going to be a tough day. He loves speech and asks everyday if he gets to go. I don't know how he is going to react to this change. It has been a hard year for him. *sniff* *sniff*

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 6:48am
post #11 of 17

I think the cake and cookie ideas are great. Suzy Zoo is so cute. And your poem, what a wonderful tribute to his therapist!! I know she will be very touched.

Cindy

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 6:49am
post #12 of 17

That is a terrific poem.

The idea you came up with for the cake and the cookies is perfect.

I'm sorry about your sad news.

freddyfl Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 7:21am
post #13 of 17

Thank you. When his current speech therapist called to let me know I thought she was going to tell me that Tricare denied his therapy. I had no idea he would be losing the whole therapy company. Who knew something like that could close in a week. I think the only other place like it is about an hour away or more. I feel like I am mourning the death of a good friend. That place has been a major part of our lives for the last almost three years. For awhile we were there three days a week. Wednesday is going to be really odd. Thanks for being here for me! icon_cry.gif

meggylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meggylou Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 11:40am
post #14 of 17

My son was in speech therapy when he was 2. When it ended, he was so sad and missed his speech therapist. We have seen her around town a couple of times since, and it has totally made his day.
Even though she can't be his therapist anymore, it doesn't mean he can't see her ever again. Maybe you can arrange a lunch or visit a little down the road after he has gotten over the worst of the missing.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 4:56pm
post #15 of 17

Oh those poor workers and kids, I feel so bad for them! The services places like this provide is really needed, how/why are they closing? and with such little notice?

my son has been in speech therapy since he was 2 and is now 5 and moving on to kindergarden soon from his special needs class. His teachers cried when they told me he was ready to move on 2 months ago. They are happy for him, but don't want to see him go in another sence. He starts kind. this fall and they are demanding that I bring him in to say Hi every month. He wants to go to kind. but just doesn't understand that his beloved teachers are not going to be there waiting for him. The relationships the kids and teachers form is amazing at times. They are such a strong and important part of each others lives and don't really notice until it comes to an end.

I'm sorry this is happening, I can't imagine what we would do in the same situation. The cake idea sound beautiful though and will be truly apreciated.

freddyfl Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 5:58pm
post #16 of 17

I have no idea why they are closing. I am guessing it is money related, but why they hired a new person last month from alaska (we live in washington) I have no idea. The speech therapist this is for lives in port ludlow. About an hour away. I will be asking some questions as where we can go next and what to do and what happened on Wednesday. Thank you all for your kind, caring responses. My son started kindergarten this year and hoo boy was that a challenge. His spec needs pre-school is in the same building and he really missed it. He is finally starting to be okay with being in kindergarten. December was horrible (he almost lost his Santa presents). January was better, now it is pretty good. I am hoping that your son has a smoother transition than mine did.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 9:50pm
post #17 of 17

good luck with everything. I wish you all the best.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%