Make Metallic Buttercream Icing?????

Decorating By crumbscakeartistry Updated 9 Mar 2007 , 2:53pm by crumbscakeartistry

crumbscakeartistry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbscakeartistry Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 2:07pm
post #1 of 6

I have a sweet 16 to cake and the girl would like the cake to be metallic silver. It must be buttercream, she hates fondant... I do not have an airbrush. Does anyone have any tips for me? Please do not let me handpaint a 4 tiered cake silver... help CCers!!

5 replies
rsaun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rsaun Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 2:14pm
post #2 of 6

I don't know about silver, but I had someone who wanted metallic/pearly white buttercream, so I bought Wilton cake sparkles, ground them up super, super fine with a mortar and pestel, and mixed it into the buttercream. It worked for pearly white. It took a lot of sparkles, though, and probably wasn't the most efficient method. Hope that helps.

crumbscakeartistry Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 2:18pm
post #3 of 6

I was thinking about mixing in luster dust with the buttercream. I wonder if that will work???

tincanbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tincanbaby Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 2:20pm
post #4 of 6

They have a product called edible silver. It is same as edible gold leaf. I am sure someone from CC's could tell you where you can order it from. Not cheap though. You could try lustre dust in the silver/charcoal/super-pearl colors for a cheaper cost.

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 2:23pm
post #5 of 6

Just a thought here, althouigh I've never tried it:

Combine the luster dust with a bit of vodka or lemon extract (both of these will evaporate) in a small spray bottle and spray the iced cake with the mixture. I would experiment first.

I've read here that you can't put the luster dust in the BC--it clumps or something???

crumbscakeartistry Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 2:53pm
post #6 of 6

I forgot about the spray bottle trick. I will try it out this week.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%