Translator Needed

Español By texastwinkie Updated 3 Feb 2006 , 3:11pm by MariaLovesCakes

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 3 Feb 2006 , 4:39am
post #31 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaptlps

K bein's we are on the language issue, i have a question: i will try it first in spanish and then english
here goes. don't laugh at my punctuation or syntax lol; Como se llame "cake" en espanol? Este pasteles o bizcocho? k now in english; what do you call a cake in spanish, pasteles or bizcocho?
icon_cry.gif don't laugh at my spanish. I only know enough to get in trouble!!!

chaptlps
It depends on where you come from, what a cake will be called. I am from uruguay, we call cakes "tortas", and an undecorated cake "Bizcochuelo", but we commonly use *torta* for both decorated and undecorated cakes. I've noticed the ladies from PR call them "bizcocho" which for us is a small sweet or savoury, like sweet or savoury croissants. Interesting eh???
Nati : )

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 3 Feb 2006 , 4:43am
post #32 of 41

one of my decorators on my crew is from chihuahua and she calls the pasteles. so must depend on the geography and dialect. i am tryin. i can take a cake order mostly by myself now with almost no help from my friend olga

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 3 Feb 2006 , 4:44am
post #33 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaptlps

one of my decorators on my crew is from chihuahua and she calls the pasteles. so must depend on the geography and dialect. i am tryin. i can take a cake order mostly by myself now with almost no help from my friend olga

Thanks very interesting, my friends from Chile also call them pasteles. *Pasteles* to Uruguayan people are actually pies.
hehehe
Nati

chaptlps Posted 3 Feb 2006 , 4:53am
post #34 of 41

ok i should clarify, where i live there are a lot of mexican nationals and they speak only spanish. So to explain myself, my friend Olga helps me out with the hispanic customers. But I keep trying and find myself talking to her more and more in spanish all the time. I figure that you have an advantage if you are bilinqual than if you are unilinqual. So to better serve my customers I am striving to become bilingual.
I kind of got the gist of the recipe but don't have the confidence in my abilities to have been able to translate it properly. (of course the pictures helped alot)
Sorry guys, didn't mean to steal the thunder from the topic at hand.

mxdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mxdiva Posted 3 Feb 2006 , 4:58am
post #35 of 41

Hi Im from chihuahua also and we do say pastel for a single cake and pasteles for more than one if you have any more questions let me know I'll be happy to help you.

chaptlps Posted 3 Feb 2006 , 5:00am
post #36 of 41

mxdiva,
bienvenidos a cakecentral!!! You will love this site!!!
(i hope i said that right!)

mxdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mxdiva Posted 3 Feb 2006 , 5:11am
post #37 of 41

gracias por darme la bienvenida!

anabrown Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anabrown Posted 3 Feb 2006 , 6:40am
post #38 of 41

Hi girls,

Acetic acid may be replaced with lemon juice but I am not sure of the correct proportion. I will check.

"Acetic acid, also known as ethanoic acid, is an organic chemical compound best recognized for giving vinegar its sour taste and pungent smell. Pure water-free acetic acid is a colourless hygroscopic liquid (that is, it readily absorbs water) that freezes below 16.7 °C (62 °F) to a colourless crystalline solid. Acetic acid is corrosive, and its vapour is irritating to eyes and nose, although it is a weak acid based on its ability to dissociate in aqueous solutions.

Acetic acid is one of the simplest carboxylic acids. It is an important chemical reagent and industrial chemical that is used in the production of polyethylene terephthalate mainly in soft drink bottles; cellulose acetate, mainly for photographic film; and polyvinyl acetate for wood glue, as well as many synthetic fibres and fabrics. In households diluted acetic acid is often used in descaling agents. In the food industry acetic acid is used under the food additive code E260 as an acidity regulator.

Other Names: Methanecarboxylic acid
Acetyl hydroxide (AcOH)
Hydrogen acetate (HAc) "

I buy it at my cake supplies shop.

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 3 Feb 2006 , 1:16pm
post #39 of 41

Jackie, thank you for your quick action.

Boiled sugar frosting (no butter) was very common before store bought frosting. I found it in several old coookbooks.

I can understand a lot of written Spanish, but can not form sentences. icon_razz.gif

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 3 Feb 2006 , 3:07pm
post #40 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastwinkie

I'm so sorry this topic got "off" in another direction. I hope I didn't create a problem icon_sad.gif . My apologies!

Its okay texastwinkie. Jackie the administrator took care of it. You had nothing to do with it. The user has lost the priviledges permanently and will no longer post here.

I am sorry I didn't catch it before.

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 3 Feb 2006 , 3:11pm
post #41 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilsia

hoal amiga este es lo que yo uso el famoso supiro es nadamas clara y agua y azucar y si puedes decorar con supiro que es lo mas dificil el buttercream eres un excelente. bueno todos los biscocho es con esa receta que ustedes estan tratando de traducir es que hago mis bizcocho dominicano.

Ah, Kilisia, yo no me acuerdo, pero fuiste tu la que compartiste tu receta de bizcocho dominicano conmigo?

Sino, podrias compartir tu receta?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%