Please Look--This Is The Cake My Bff Wants Me To Do For Her

Decorating By justfrosting Updated 10 Mar 2007 , 3:57am by Momkiksbutt

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 2:09am
post #1 of 37

wedding.

Does this look to hard for me. Obviously my cakes are...well...I am still learning icon_redface.gif .

Does this look like it would feed 100 people or would there be a lot left over.

I am so nervous--THIS IS HER WEDDING--I could ruin the whole thing if my cake doesn't turn out.

moderator edited***** copyrighted info....

36 replies
jelligirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jelligirl Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 2:14am
post #2 of 37

i think you can do it! when is her wedding? do you have time to do a dummy one or a mini version of this one? i'm not expert but i think this will feed more than 100 people

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 2:14am
post #3 of 37

You could totally do this cake! The hardest part would be the design on the top tier.

You go with a 6/10/14 combo with the 6 being reserved for the anniversary and you can feed 100!

Get yourself an impression mat and start practicing with that and your piping and you are good to go!

I love that design. I'm saving it on my computer!

jelligirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jelligirl Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 2:15am
post #4 of 37

i just looked at your cakes and you can do this!

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 2:15am
post #5 of 37

If you have worked with fondant it would be very easy to do.
Jacqui

freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 2:15am
post #6 of 37

You can do this. Just look at each individual part of the cake. Bottom cake, ice smooth or cover in fondant. Put fondant strips over it.
Middle cake Use an impression mat. Top cake prick the pattern with toothpicks then overpipe with frosting. You can definitely do it!

justfrosting Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 2:16am
post #7 of 37

The wedding is in May--so I need to hustle.

Where can I get an impression mat?

Am I in charge of the fresh flowers or does the florist take care of this?

I am a mess...

lilkimberb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilkimberb Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 2:18am
post #8 of 37

I just looked at the cakes in your gallery and I am sure you can do it. It doesn't look to overly complicated!!!!! You will do great!!!!!!!!!

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 2:20am
post #9 of 37

You can do this! I looked at your cakes--you have the necessary skills.
Usually the bride's florist takes care of the flowers; you'll have to make contact with him/her and coordinate the cake info.

terri-jo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terri-jo Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 2:21am
post #10 of 37

As stunning as this cake is ( and it really is) I don't think it would be too hard to do. I agree with everything said in the above posts... the bottom two tiers would serve at least 100 with the top reserved. The bottom is simply fondant covered with tone on tone fondant stripes. An impression mat takes care of the diamond pattern, and there is simple piping at the border. If you're not confident about the scrollwork on the top tier, you could do simple pearls instead which would be easy and beautiful, or emboss the pattern and pipe over top. With a bit of practice, though, I'll bet you could master it as is! Good luck, and most of all, have fun! Let us know how it turns out.

T. J.

gibbler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gibbler Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 2:22am
post #11 of 37

Wilton makes the patterns that you can just press into fondant or buttercream for the top layer.

You can do it!!!

It looks huge too...I think you could scale down the layers to the size you need.

When is the wedding?

justfrosting Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 2:25am
post #12 of 37

2nd Friday in May.

This is silly but here is a picture of her wedding gown. She is so beautiful and this dress is going to be great.

BF getting married is way more fun then geting married myself!

http://www.davidsbridal.com/bridal_gowns_detail.jsp?stid=2836&prodgroup=123

namaman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
namaman Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 2:33am
post #13 of 37

From what I understand about flowers, you may want to leave that to the florist. Make sure that it is conveyed they need to be organic so that they can be put on a cake that people will be eating and not have any chemicals on them... But that cake does look great and should easily feed 100.

LoriGross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriGross Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 2:34am
post #14 of 37

Love, love, love that dress!!!

You can definitely do that cake. It will be beautiful because it was made with love by you!

Go for it.

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 2:34am
post #15 of 37

You can do it! Like those above have said, just take it one step at a time! You've done some beautiful work & this will add to your portfolio!
Not to mention, making your bf's wedding phenomenal!

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 2:34am
post #16 of 37

Beautiful gown!! Beautiful cake!! With your talent, of course you can do that cake! You go girl!! thumbs_up.gif

justfrosting Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 2:35am
post #17 of 37

<wiping tear> you guys are great! Thanks for the support!

dodibug Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 2:36am
post #18 of 37

I love that dress! sooooo pretty!!!

Lots of places carry the impression mats:

earlenescakes.com
cakesbysam.com
globalsugarart.com
sugarcraft.com

Shoot-I just bought one and can't remember where I got it from. icon_confused.gif Just check the shipping costs on these places so you don't get hosed on that!

This cake could even be done in buttercream(you'd still make fondant strips for the bottom tier) if you aren't comfortable with fondant for the whole thing.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 2:39am
post #19 of 37

Just wanted to tell you that you can TOTALY DO THIS CAKE! Practice like no body's business and you'll be fine. Make sure to post how beautiful it turns out.

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 2:46am
post #20 of 37

Justfrosting........and by the way! I looked at your photos and I LOVE YOUR WALLPAPER!! My husband and I have the Italian tuscan grape theme in our entire downstairs and we never tire of it. I was thinking of changing my current grape wallpaper for another one and I love yours! Is it an Ashley print or do you know who it is made by?

justfrosting Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 2:48am
post #21 of 37

That is so funny, because I am ready for something new. We bought it a Lowe's--it was a tad pricey but I don't remember the designer.

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 2:49am
post #22 of 37

looking at your photos, you can totally do this!! I am about to do a cake in a similar size. It feed 100 not including the top layer. That is if it's 14', 10' 6'. If it's bigger, all the better. If your worried about the designs on each layer, make a test cake like the previous posters said. That't the best way to make sure something will work for you. Also, just my advise to you, make sure that you use the right fondant recipe for this.

If you choose wrong, it will make your work harder and not as tasty. If you want mine, let me know and I will PM it to you. Everyone that has tasted it just loves it. My children eat it like candy......darn kids!! LOL

Just let me know........

You will do just fine!! thumbs_up.gif

justfrosting Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 2:55am
post #23 of 37

PM sent your way!

shipleyc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shipleyc Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 2:59am
post #24 of 37

You can do it!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 3:05am
post #25 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momkiksbutt

lso, just my advise to you, make sure that you use the right fondant recipe for this.

If you choose wrong, it will make your work harder and not as tasty. If you want mine, let me know and I will PM it to you. Everyone that has tasted it just loves it. My children eat it like candy......darn kids!! LOL

Just let me know........

You will do just fine!! thumbs_up.gif

how about, pretty please, you just put it the recipe section so we all can try it (and maybe eat it like candy)???

please......TY in advance!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 3:07am
post #26 of 37

oh, and Justfrosting....

oh pishaw.....don't be so modest or fearful.

you're cakes are witness to your ability to so rock this cake.

(only advice I have ...

you're ALREADY in the wedding -- doing the cake -- so don't also try to be bridesmaid -- the cake will be enough -- and that's one less "dress'' to store!)

dodibug Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 3:08am
post #27 of 37

I second Doug's wonderful suggestion with double sugar, pretty please added! I would love to have an alternate recipe for fondant. I like MMF but would like other options!

Mmmm, candy-need candy! icon_lol.gif

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 3:59am
post #28 of 37

After looking at your cakes, I'm sure you'll have no problem doing this cake. It's beautiful!! And so is that dress!!!
Please post a pic of your cake; would love to see it.

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 7:34am
post #29 of 37

Your "wish" is my command........ icon_biggrin.gif It's posted for everyone to try. If you have any problems getting it to work for you, just send me a PM and we'll work it out together!!

And just for fun I'm adding the pic of the cake I just did it with, already posted on CC. Cake is fondant, flowers and figurine are gumpaste. I had sewed the veil. By far my favorite cake I've ever done!
LL

justfrosting Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 7:41am
post #30 of 37

I will try to post the picture again.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%