Ok Need Opinions Because I Can't Seem To Come Up With Answer

Decorating By wgoat5 Updated 10 Mar 2007 , 3:23pm by Peachshortcake

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 1:35am
post #1 of 17

by myself. The PTO president at my childrens school asked me to be the official cake baker for events like grad night, monthly birthdays etc. I have been making them free monthly birthday cakes since Oct. But Tuesday I was approached about doing for pay. But the pay would be equipment like airbrush and supplies and edible image printer plus supplies and the supplies to make the cakes. Question is...is this a good thing or are they taking advantage of me??? What would you do??? I love my kids school and I was doing the cakes for free before to kinda get the word out that I did it .... but is this a fair deal?

Thank you for your imput!!
Christi

16 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 1:42am
post #2 of 17

considering the cost of airbrush system and edible image systems (both $250+ for really good ones)...

well, it depends upon how fancy the cakes and how many.

and did you say "supplies"? well -- just how many/much supplies??

and how often would you be "paid" in this manner.

if one cake = 1 airbrush -- sweet deal

if one airbrush = year's worth of cake --- fuggeddahbouit!

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 1:43am
post #3 of 17

A good airbrush and edible printer are expensive. I guess it would depend on how long they expected you to do the cakes for, this school year or longer.

wgoat5 Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 1:44am
post #4 of 17

so far for the year and probably a average of 2 cakes a month depending what is going on at school.

wysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wysmommy Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 1:58am
post #5 of 17

I would probably make sure you get to keep the equipment. I'd make sure it isn't just for use while you are "working" for the school.

I only say this because my DH is a teacher and I can't believe what some administrators will do to save a buck. (not that it is their fault there is no money for them to spend!)

Sounds like a good advertising oppertunity if nothing else!

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 2:05am
post #6 of 17

Money is safer. No room for misunderstanding. Why are they so hesitant to do things the old-fashioned way?

I say cash!

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 2:07am
post #7 of 17

If you get to keep the equipment I think you should do it.
Jacqui

eriksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eriksmom Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 2:18am
post #8 of 17

well, i do believe the barter system works well sometimes. i mean, you would spend some of that money on equipment.
make sure it's equipment that you want or can use, not just what they happen to come across at a yard sale.
also, you've been doing it for free for this long, and seems like you would continue doing cakes for them, so as long as they understand your terms and you understand theirs and you all agree, then go for it!
one good thing about the barter system in this case, is if you are licensed, you could write the expense off on your taxes since barter isn't legal tender. so you would double score there!

wgoat5 Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 2:19am
post #9 of 17

Supposed to be able to keep the equipment. That is how I am supposed to be paid. icon_sad.gif just dunno hmmmm

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 2:27am
post #10 of 17

If it were me, I would take whatever they want to give you, but not expect anything. At least, as long as your kids are in the school. If the amount they want you to do becomes a burden, then let them know. As a PTA president, I would certainly appreciate such a gift, but I would not expect it from anyone.

pink_bunny03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pink_bunny03 Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 2:34am
post #11 of 17

If you get to keep the equipment then I say jump right in. I think asking for cash will bring up a lot of "budget issues" that are gonna take so long to work out that you may mever even see any money. just see if they are gonna allow you to keep the products that you are given.

if you only use them for the school cakes and the sell them you when the kids are out of the school then you will be even better off.

wgoat5 Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 2:44am
post #12 of 17

Oh I love doing the cakes for them, it gives me lots of practice. I didn't mind doing them for free. I guess I had a hidden agenda in the whole thing though.....word of mouth about my cakes..... I should feel guilty but really I dont icon_sad.gif .

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 3:26pm
post #13 of 17

I am a teacher so know how difficult schools budgets can be - they'd have no problem paying for actual supplies but it would be very difficult to justify paying someone to make cakes - I think that's why you are being offered this unusual deal. I would get an agreement down in writing saying how many cakes per year you agree to do so you don't end up doing too many. If you're happy - go with it, my concern would be being asked to do too much for too little recompense.

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 3:34pm
post #14 of 17

I love emmascakes idea... yeah make them put it down in writing... and enjoy the equipment!

cocakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocakedecorator Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 5:05pm
post #15 of 17

i agree with emma get it in writing about how many cakes and what will be given in return. That way if they want more you have a contract that you can fall back on.

wgoat5 Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 11:15pm
post #16 of 17

thanks for your advice I am going to take the proposal icon_smile.gif

Peachshortcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachshortcake Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 3:23pm
post #17 of 17

oh have fun with your new toys.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%