Stencil Tools And Equipment Help Needed!

Decorating By Calejo Updated 1 Feb 2006 , 1:37am by mary-ann

Calejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Calejo Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 7

ok, after taking a special order that needed a stencil to airbrush.... it took me an hour and a half (with distractions) to cut it out with nothing but a straight razorblade. I used tape and the clear document protector stuff..... not very fun to mess with all that. I want to know what stenciling equiptment and materials that I should be using if I decide to do this on a regular basis. Please help!

6 replies
Calejo Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 4:18pm
post #2 of 7

Is there anyone here who does stenciling and airbrushing? This is a technique I want to learn more about and use in my future bakery.

mary-ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mary-ann Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 5:55pm
post #3 of 7

I have limited experience with stenciling but I've purchased blank stencils and bought a stencil cutter. It's like a soldering iron that melts the stencil for a smoother cut. I used it to make the clouds on my crystal ball and my angel cakes and the circles for my funky time cake. I use it on the cake board too (foam board covered with thinned royal icing). I love the spray paint technique but any nicks in the icing show the color underneath so you need to be careful. Also, I sometimes smeared the circles if I moved the stencil while it was touching other painted areas. I have a cake stencil book at home that is really amazing. I'll let you know what it is later.
Mary Ann

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Calejo Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 6:50pm
post #5 of 7

thank you so much!

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 8:01pm
post #6 of 7

i haven't read the tutorial yet, but what you will need is a piece of glass, take it from a cheap picture frame, wrap the edges in masking tape so you dont cut yourself. then you can either use a hot knife, or a blade. you can get a knife that has a swivel head, like an exacto knife, these work great. i have a hot knife(stencil burner)and a wood burning tool that works great too. put your design under the class, put the sheet of mylar or what ever you are using on top of the glass and secure it with masking tape, and use what ever cutting method you choose. always do a test spray as you may have to make some alterations. to stop underspray use little weights on the stencil close to the cut edge and make sure you spray directly downwards and not across. HTH

mary-ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mary-ann Posted 1 Feb 2006 , 1:37am
post #7 of 7

The book I have is called "The Joy of Airbrushing on Cakes" by Carole Faxon. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%