Princess/ Castle Cakes

Decorating By collin16 Updated 2 Sep 2004 , 9:49pm by libysue

collin16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
collin16 Posted 2 Sep 2004 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 6

can anyone give me any tipson how to do a castle cake or a princess cake for 25 people? i want to make it for dd's bday.
thanks!
Jami
[email protected]

5 replies
libysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
libysue Posted 2 Sep 2004 , 8:39pm
post #2 of 6

hi jami,
is this castle for a child or an adult? for a child i've used a couple rounds (8in and 6 in) and turned the pointed sugar ice cream cones upside down for the points of the castle and gumdrops, mints, and so on for the windows, doors etc. for an adult (& if you're willing to put alittle time into it), i've used a wilton wedding cake design (simplified for a b-day of course). i forget which book it's in but it was on the cover of one of them, and i also saw it in a different wedding book by wilton. the design on it was pretty elaborate but you can use you imagination to make it easier but still pretty. hope this helps alittle & good luck! dani

collin16 Posted 2 Sep 2004 , 8:47pm
post #3 of 6

it is for a 2 yr olds bday party. How many would a 9 in round feed? I need i t to feed about 25 people. i like the cones idea though. very cute!

i am still very new at this, so any extra help would be great. such as, how do you keep the crumbs from spreading into the white icing?
Jami
[email protected]

libysue Posted 2 Sep 2004 , 9:01pm
post #4 of 6

at the bakery i worked in we were always told that a 9in would feed about 12-15 people, an 8in about 10-12, a 6in about 8-10 all depending on how well everyone likes cake and how much other food you'll have there too. you could always do a 10 (15-20 people) and a small one (like a 6) to give it alittle height and that should be just about enough. as far as the cake crumbs go, i always shape them, pat the sides down, and freeze them overnight, just make sure it's thawed before you start decorating it!

collin16 Posted 2 Sep 2004 , 9:40pm
post #5 of 6

how do you cut it? do you cut the bottom layer first and work through the top? freezing it doesn't make the cake taste dry? I will give ti a try. i have all weekend to practice. icon_smile.gif
thanks so much for all your helpful advice. i really want this cake to be special for her.
jami

libysue Posted 2 Sep 2004 , 9:49pm
post #6 of 6

when you're ready to serve it i'd probably just start at the top and work my way down that way you don't have to worry about it falling over on you or taking the top off to cut the bottom.

freezing it doesn't change the flavor at all, just make sure you wrap it in plastic wrap to protect it while it's freezing and take off the wrap while you thaw it out.

i was just on the wilton website (the general topics forum) and there's a question about the castle cakes on there too, they have a couple pic's you can look at to help you get a better idea of what you want to do... whatever it is i'm SURE she'll love it, after all YOU made it for her!!!! let me know how it turns out!!! dani

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%