Finally Have A Name I Really Like!

Business By berryblondeboys Updated 10 Mar 2007 , 2:57pm by emmascakes

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 7:29pm
post #1 of 30

This is it (Anyone know how I can make a nice tagline for my email and the like?)

Melissa's Pure and Simple Cakes (bigger font)

(In smaller font and italics)Always made from scratch and only using the finest ingredients; including organic dairy, eggs and flours.

And then phone number and email

What do you think?

melissa

29 replies
notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 7:35pm
post #2 of 30

Do you make very simple cakes? It sounds like that's what you're saying if you want to add the fact that you bake from scratch and bake organic cakes may be there is a different name for it rather than "simple" that is just not adjective that should go with cakes... just my pure honest two cents hope it helps...I love your concept!! I can't wait til I get, my first order for a 1st bday cake i will include a free sugar free cake for the baby!
but first I gotta figure out how? Good luck to you I hope someone puts their .02

berryblondeboys Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 7:55pm
post #3 of 30

ugh... does everyone else feel that way too?

Melissa

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 8:29pm
post #4 of 30

I think it's a bit long for a tagline. That's a lot of text to read over every time someone posts. (And here on cc, are we really who you're selling to?)

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 8:33pm
post #5 of 30

Yes, it could give off the intent that your cakes are just cakes, if you know what I mean. Like someone goes in and buys a German Chocolate Cake with the cocoa on top and chocolate frosting; it makes me think you don't do custom cakes. However, I do understand what you mean; I just get that uncertainty thereafter. Do you know what I mean?

BTW, how does organic sugar (I saw it at the store yesterday) change/affect the flavor/texture?

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 8:34pm
post #6 of 30

Melissa, I think if YOU like it, that's all that matters. Pure and Simple sounds very sweet to me and when people see your products, they'll know they aren't dealing with someone who only does "simple" designs. Good luck in what you decide.

berryblondeboys Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 8:35pm
post #7 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisieBake

I think it's a bit long for a tagline. That's a lot of text to read over every time someone posts. (And here on cc, are we really who you're selling to?)

Not a tagline for here, but my personal email!

Melissa

SophieBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SophieBelle Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 8:36pm
post #8 of 30

I like the concept and although I see the point about not wanting to sound like what you do is 'simple', i think the image it creates about your cakes is very appealing. I don't think I personally (as a customer) would think you only do simple recipes, necessarily.

So I guess I'm saying I like the name! I'm assuming the tag line is meant for advertising, etc?

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 8:36pm
post #9 of 30

Yes I think tagline to longand simple isnt right when you are scratch. How how about Melissas simply pure cakes all natural all the time

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 8:37pm
post #10 of 30

what type of email do you have?

You'll need to make a signiture file for your email. I have not figured out a good way to do this either! I can build any type of file but can't get it to stick on email and always show up how I have set it.

berryblondeboys Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 8:38pm
post #11 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by nglez09

BTW, how does organic sugar (I saw it at the store yesterday) change/affect the flavor/texture?

Organic sugar I haven't tried as it's hard to find, unlike the other ingredients.

Melissa

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 8:41pm
post #12 of 30

I think if you like it, go with it. I wouldn't take "simple" as a negative if I was reading your card. If you're worried about it though, you could always have "classic and specialty cakes" underneath- that's what I did icon_smile.gif

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 8:41pm
post #13 of 30

or Melissas purely natural cakes made from the finest ingredients

berryblondeboys Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 8:44pm
post #14 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakenutz

Yes I think tagline to longand simple isnt right when you are scratch. How how about Melissas simply pure cakes all natural all the time

I don't know, having "all natural all the time" sounds kind of car salesmans-like.... Like, "get it here, get it now"...

Why is it SOOOO hard to come up with something that FITS me???

The only alternative I like is either:

Sweet Melissa's Pure Cakes or
Melissa's Simply Pure Cakes...

But I think Pure and Simple is good as those two are always paired together and it's easy to remember...

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 8:48pm
post #15 of 30

Go with your first instinct. It would stick in my mind as well, becuase Pure and Simple is used together frequently. I know you have tried to come up with a name for a long time and I love it!

berryblondeboys Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 8:48pm
post #16 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakenutz

or Melissas purely natural cakes made from the finest ingredients

This is pretty good.

Melissa's Purely Natural Cakes
Made with the Finest Ingredients

That's good... as I don't use ALL organics, but always good quality, as you can TASTE the difference - even in flours!!!! And especially in milks and dairy.

Melissa

tincanbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tincanbaby Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 8:55pm
post #17 of 30

Why don't you just add the word gourmet to your heading.
Melissa's Pure and Simple Gourmet Cakes.
Just a thought

rosita6882 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosita6882 Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 8:55pm
post #18 of 30

I love your origional idea. It sounds great to me. Now days everything is loaded with stuff i can't even pronounce. I think that for those who try and eat healthy, they might try a cake from a place that is simple and pure. Just my 2 cents.

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 8:55pm
post #19 of 30

I'm glad you found your answer I love simply pure! sounds beautiful!
Good luck to you

MaisieBake Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 9:10pm
post #20 of 30
Quote:
Quote:

I like the name. But "made with the finest ingredients" really doesn't mean anything, you know? I can use the finest non-dairy coffee creamer and non-fat sour cream and sugar-free pudding mix, and I assume that's not at all what you're doing.

Are you checking for website availability as you go?

berryblondeboys Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 9:16pm
post #21 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tincanbaby

Why don't you just add the word gourmet to your heading.
Melissa's Pure and Simple Gourmet Cakes.
Just a thought

I was just coming back to say, that you know... when "I" think pure and simple cakes, I think of simple as in simple ingredients... Ingredients you can spell and pronounce - like the advertisement for Bryers' Ice cream...

Purely natural and Naturally Pure are somewhat redundant... To me, Pure is the organic and Simple is the lack of "fake" ingredients...which I DO try to minimize....

I just got a little thrown when the very first comment I receive on the name is one that thinks it's saying my cakes are simple... and it's a GOOD critique as SOME people might think that.

However, since I'm doing this by word of mouth... people will know what I do and will know the type of cakes I do...I just want something that's ME... and well, pure and simple describes me too (wiht a bit of an edge at times! LOL - just ask DH and some former colleagues... I'm quit opinionated!)

melissa

berryblondeboys Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 9:20pm
post #22 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisieBake

Quote:
Quote:

I like the name. But "made with the finest ingredients" really doesn't mean anything, you know? I can use the finest non-dairy coffee creamer and non-fat sour cream and sugar-free pudding mix, and I assume that's not at all what you're doing.

Are you checking for website availability as you go?

Very true... I mean minimize the fake and as close to "earth" as possible...For my "home" cakes I don't use food coloring either, but people like them for decorating and I understand that.

MaisieBake Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 9:32pm
post #23 of 30

How about something like "modern cakes, traditional ingredients"? Would that be too much coming after the business name?

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 10:16pm
post #24 of 30

scratch made from (or with) the finest natural, organic ingredients

mlrojas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlrojas Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 12:42pm
post #25 of 30

Please don't throw tomatoes at me as this is only my opinion, but when I hear the word "pure" I think of things like shampoo and beauty products, things that make you clean (on the outside, not the inside). I looked in the thesaurus and found "natural" and "whole(some)" to also describe pure. Those, to me, sound like better adjectives to describe food products. Have you thought of Simply Cakes or is that already taken?

tincanbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tincanbaby Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 12:53pm
post #26 of 30

Food for thought.
I have a question about your choice of words for your name. Do you have a way to check with the Dept. of Health or whoever your state makes you get your license through? If you use these words, "Pure, Natural ingredients", will that label your product in such a way that all ingredients must be organic in order to claim your words? If this does do that then minimizing fake ingredients won't cover it, you will have to use all pure,natural ingredients so you don't get sued at a later time over labeling.

berryblondeboys Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 1:26pm
post #27 of 30

Both of you make good points (the last two posters)...

It gets really complicated, doesn't it!

Heck, my first thought when joking around with my son SEVERAL months back was "Yum-yum for your Tum-Tum Cakes"... at least that's catchy and doesn't get into word wars! LOL

I really appreciate all the input, I really do!

Melissa

mlrojas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlrojas Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 1:34pm
post #28 of 30

You're right, it is difficult. You want a unique name that fits you and markets you all at the same time. One thing I have learned is someone will always have an opinion so in the end, you have to choose one that you like. I have gone with Monica's Pantry and I have had to listen to several joksters say, "Monica's Panties" icon_redface.gif My daughter calls me Mimi so I was going to call my business "Mimi's Pantry" but then some people got visuals of Mimi from the Drew Cary show. I fugured Mimi's Panties would be a double negative so I stuck with Monica because in the end, I really like it. I guess ya just can't please 'em all.

sundaybegonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sundaybegonia Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 9:34pm
post #29 of 30

My business is A Taste Of Heaven "Where Dreams Come True"

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 2:57pm
post #30 of 30

How about 'Melissa's Cakes' it's good enough for Colette Peters, if you get this web-name it's very easy for people to find you as you can't go wrong with the spelling?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%