Will Everyone Please Answer???

Decorating By imaginecakes Updated 9 Mar 2007 , 4:10pm by imaginecakes

imaginecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imaginecakes Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 60

Hello fellow CC'er's I have been making just about everything from scratch. Cakes, frostings, fondant, fillings, molding chocolates...etc. I have noticed that alot of people use cakes mixes or use cake mixes and add to them. I would like to know how common this is? Do you think that some of the very "Well-Known" decoraters do this as well? I know it sure would make things much easier on me! I just don't want to feel like I'm being lazy...you know? So my question is...What do you make/use?

Thanks everyone!
Happy Baking
Jenn icon_smile.gif

59 replies
moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 7:28pm
post #2 of 60

I make my cakes with a cake mix and use the cake mix extender recipe. The cakes always come out tasting great and moist. This has always been a big debate here at CC - scratch vs. box, but everyone has their own preferences and it's each individual's personal choice.

mcyxrah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcyxrah Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 7:30pm
post #3 of 60

Hi i am thinking of just using a premade cake to get started but would reeally like to use icing made from scratch do you have any good recipes to use to make 3d peple and things

moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 7:32pm
post #4 of 60

I think that the best type of icing to for figures - if you are not going to use fondant - is royal icing.

imaginecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imaginecakes Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 7:32pm
post #5 of 60

PS...when I say "lazy" I by NO MEANS mean that the folks that do use box mixes are lazy at all!!! I just meant that I'm afraid of feeling that way...I'm too hard on myself sometimes!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 7:34pm
post #6 of 60

I use a mix. Sometimes I use the extender, but mostly I substitute buttermilk for the water, and add a little vanilla.
You are going to get a lot of different answers on this one!
You will just have to find out which is best for you.

candy177 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candy177 Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 7:36pm
post #7 of 60

I use mostly mixes but I had a customer request red velvet (which it's very hard to find that mix locally) and I didn't want to use a chocolate mix....so I'm testing a few scratch recipes. It's all about preference. When I use mixes, I doctor them up. icon_smile.gif

As far as icing, I make that from scratch.

famousamous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
famousamous Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 7:37pm
post #8 of 60

I only use boxed mixes, I use milk instead of water, one small box of instant pudding in the same or a complimenting flavor for the cake mix, and sometimes I use a tsp. of butter, vanilla, or almond extract. You really cant go wrong, the options are endless and you always have a good moist cake to work with.

Sometimes I feel as though Im cheating but everyone loves the way my cakes turn out so what the hey. thumbs_up.gif

I'll just stick to made from scratch pie cruts and cheesecakes, its cheaper to make them from scratch and they do taste better. icon_wink.gif

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 7:37pm
post #9 of 60

Doctored cake mix except my Tres Leches cake totally from scratch!!!!

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 7:39pm
post #10 of 60

No professional cake decorator in the UK uses cake mixes - maybe our cake mixes just aren't up to much - but it would cuase real shock if you bought a cake and found it to be from a boxed mix. Part of me is a bit envious that it seems more acceptable to do this in the US as it would make my work a whole lot easier!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 7:40pm
post #11 of 60

I doctor a mix and make everything else from scratch. I only make the fondant because I am too cheap right now to buy some.

I dont think there is a reason to feel lazy, you are still making it and if you arent complaining about the taste then there is no problem. It is just a personal preference. If you like your scratch cakes, keep making them. If you are tired of the extra work, try a mix.

I dont think most people who are buy satin ice are feeling lazy.

divaofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divaofcakes Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 7:42pm
post #12 of 60

I use a mix most of the time and "doctor it up" from there adding butter, sour cream, etc. Some of my specialty cakes are scratch like carrot cake and Italian cream.

And I only use Pilsbury!!!!!

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 7:42pm
post #13 of 60

I make all my cakes from scratch as i have my favourite recipes i use and i also use some very fresh ingrediants hehe that you cant really buy fresh.

As for icing i make my own royal icing too.

I use fondant icing for covering my cakes and for making my figures and in fact i also use fondant with dyocell added for making my flowers too although up unitl i was introduced to dyocell i use to make my own flower paste too..

so again it will depend on what you feel... and i spose on how busy you are etc... to how many orders you may need to make but for me when i have a lot to do if i have plenty of notice i bake and freeze and sometimes with my 3D or sculptered cakes i even buttercream them before freezing to save time as i put buttercream under my fondant on kids cakes

And in talking of doing things from scratch i even cut all my cakes to shape i dont use 3d pans either i build my cakes up so i am a bit like you and too feel guilty if i use predone packets or 3D pans specially with prices we want to charge.

happy decorating icon_smile.gif

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 7:44pm
post #14 of 60

I use mixes for everything - except for when I make a Miracle Whip Chocolate cake. The rest of them are box mixes, usually what ever is on sale and then I doctor them.

danifani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danifani Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 7:44pm
post #15 of 60

So far I have used mostly mixes, sometimes with extenders. I saw a recipe for master mix and thought I would try that out so I would have a reliable scratch recipe.

Tide89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tide89 Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 7:45pm
post #16 of 60

I have done both....but I've found people love my doctored cake mix recipes. I always use icings and fillings made from scratch and usually use a flavored simple syrup to give the cake a different flavor. I've found I get more dependable results using the cake mix. I really think it's a preference. icon_wink.gif

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 7:46pm
post #17 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmascakes

No professional cake decorator in the UK uses cake mixes - maybe our cake mixes just aren't up to much - but it would cuase real shock if you bought a cake and found it to be from a boxed mix. Part of me is a bit envious that it seems more acceptable to do this in the US as it would make my work a whole lot easier!

Yeah and here is the thing too (I am speculating here) , maybe people in the UK are more accustomed to the taste and texture of scratch cakes. Here in the us, most people dont make scratch cakes anymore (meaning the regular non-cake decorator people icon_lol.gif ) so I think we are more used to the way they taste. You know you go out for a burger or mexican or chinese or whatever out of your own country and it is just .....different! you guys know what I mean?

mewie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mewie Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 7:46pm
post #18 of 60

Mostly mixes, dh only, with some added ingredients. That is expect for our extreme chocolate cake thats a scratch. Always homemade buttercream or cream cheese frosting. I've always wondered if some bakeries start with at least a premixed dry ingredient mix?

Michele

JasmineRose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JasmineRose Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 7:48pm
post #19 of 60

I have made cakes from scratch but I prefer not to. Not for time purposes specifically, but I don't like how the taste and texture turns out in a scratch cake. I have had nothing but compliments on my mix cakes though, and I don't do anything special to them. However I do make the icing from scratch.

More bakers than you would realize use mixes. It's what works for them and their customers keep coming back so there's nothing wrong with that. What gets me is arrogant people who say that if you use a mix you're not a real baker.

allycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allycook Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 7:48pm
post #20 of 60

I felt at first like I wasn't giving someone a "real" cake if it weren't from scratch, but have since learned better. Mixes doctored up are equally enjoyed and bragged on and the risk of something going wrong is minimized. I continue trying both though. I am slowly building a collection of good scratch cakes that I feel are a cut above.

UGoCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UGoCakes Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 7:50pm
post #21 of 60

I am by no means a professional, this is a hobby for me and I have 2 small kids. So with that being said I use a cake mix and make BC icing. It is funny though, the people that have had my cake rave about how fabulous it is. It is as if they have never bought an .88 cent cake mix at Wal-mart before. ha! ha! I really like the BC mixes they are always very moist and yummy. icon_smile.gif

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 7:51pm
post #22 of 60

I doctor up the mixes, and make everything else from scratch. Fillings, BC, fondant, etc.

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 7:52pm
post #23 of 60

I actually love the cake mix extender...
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1977-Cake-Mix-extender.html
and add a box of instant pudding to it! I have baked many scratch cakes and actually only use one scratch cake now(white chocolate cake), but don't even do that one often. I find the cake mix with extender/pudding is actually very moist and bakes up higher for me...and the taste is great. So I am a converter from scratch to using box mixes with the extender/pudding. I do all my frostings, fillings, and fondant from scratch...but can't find scratch cakes that are as good as the mix with extender/pudding! Jen

Beezaly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beezaly Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 7:52pm
post #24 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru

I use a mix. Sometimes I use the extender, but mostly I substitute buttermilk for the water, and add a little vanilla.
You are going to get a lot of different answers on this one!
You will just have to find out which is best for you.

I've never heard this but would really like to try it. I have been using boxed cake for my class (just not a big deal to me to have a cake from scratch to practice on). Please share the buttermilk and vanilla secret with me icon_smile.gif Thanks.

sherik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherik Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 7:54pm
post #25 of 60

Hi all,
I use only Satin Ice fondant and pre-made gumpaste. I make all other icings from scratch.

For white cakes, I use DH and doctor it with butter instead of oil, sour cream and pudding.

All others are from scratch.

I made a red velvet last night from scratch because I wanted to experiment with adding more ingredients. It is my best one ever!

reese04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reese04 Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 7:56pm
post #26 of 60

I always use cake mixes and play around with them - adding and substituting stuff. IMO the mixes are more moist than scratch (the ones i've made anyway) icon_rolleyes.gif

PRcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PRcakes Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 8:00pm
post #27 of 60

I use cake mix always doctor them, but i used to do everything from scrath, My mom never uses box mixes so I learned to do it the hard way. But here that I dont found Presto cake flour I just do it from box mix, for me Presto is the best one, so I prefer just buy a box and dont even bother trying with other flour. When my mom sends me Presto from back home, I kept it for very special occasions.!!!

But everything else other than cake mix is from scratch!!!!

eriksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eriksmom Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 8:00pm
post #28 of 60

jhansen13, don't guilt yourself into or out of using a mix or not. you can always try one, see what you think, and decide from there. you may like it for some cakes, but not for others.
i use them and doctor them just because i've tried scratch cakes, and i can just never ever get it right. never comes out as moist or fluffly as a mix. so i use it for consistency purposes.
some people have a talent for scratch and getting it to actually be a cake, but i'm not one of them!

MandMCakeDesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandMCakeDesigns Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 8:04pm
post #29 of 60

Right now, with two little ones running around, the box mixes are working for me. And people love them! I am excited about checking out the cake extender recipe that you guys mentioned.

I have only been baking cakes outside my family for a few months. So when you guys talk about "doctoring" the mix, can you give me some examples?

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 8:08pm
post #30 of 60

I use cake mixes and doctor them (sift mix, add dream whip, 4 eggs, cup water). I make my own BC and royal icing, and buy Satin Ice Fondant and Satin Ice Gumpaste.

~Chelle

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%