Sorry It Took So Long.....

Decorating By JennT Updated 29 Jan 2006 , 7:55pm by Lazy_Susan

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 29 Jan 2006 , 5:26pm
post #1 of 6

....for me to finally post a picture of the 3D R2D2 cake I did for my DS's 6th birthday party last Saturday. Our digital camera has been sent of for repair, so I had to use a regular camera and then finish the roll & get it developed. But here he is in all his glory...lol. I just have to say that this is the first 3D cake I have ever done, and it would not have been possible without the invaluable advice from the awesome SquirrellyCakes!!! thumbs_up.gif I assembled & constructed the body just the way she suggested and it worked perfectly!

It's a chocolate mud cake (thanks nati & auzzi!) with WBH cookies & cream filling that I added a little more pwd sugar to so it would be a little thicker. BC icing in white and grey (don't know why it looks blue here?) and MMF dark blue squares. I cheated on the legs because we just didn't need that much cake....they're styrofoam covered in plastic & iced & decorated. icon_redface.gif

Three 6' round cakes that I torted into 6 layers. I stacked 3 layers (on a cake board), with 2 layers of filling, then inserted 2 cookie sticks off-center. Then a contact-paper-covered cake board, 3 more layers of cake with the filling and 2 cookie sticks off center. Then I took a dowel that I had sharpened the end on and drove it completely through the center of the cakes and the cake board in the center and at the bottom...then drove it through the bottom of the cake drum, as well, until I heard it hit the table...lol. The dowel was long enough that about an inch to an inch and a half stuck up out of the top of the cakes. For his head, I took a half-ball cake on another covered board & centered it over the dowel and pressed it down until it rested on top of the 6' rounds. Before I put any cakes on the boards, I had pierced a hole in the center of each of the boards with the sharpened dowel so that it would go through easier.

This was so much fun and easier than it looks, too. DS kept taking people to the fridge when they got to the party to show him his cake...he'd say..'Look at my R2D2 cake! What d'ya think about that, huh?!' LOL icon_lol.gif He loved it!
LL
LL

5 replies
subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 29 Jan 2006 , 5:30pm
post #2 of 6

Great job!

alracntna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alracntna Posted 29 Jan 2006 , 5:43pm
post #3 of 6

wow this is great!! you did a great job on this. congrats on successfully completing your first 3D cake. icon_wink.gif

tabs8774 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tabs8774 Posted 29 Jan 2006 , 7:21pm
post #4 of 6

that is AWESOME!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif i can see why your ds was so proud of his mommy!!

SheilaF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheilaF Posted 29 Jan 2006 , 7:53pm
post #5 of 6

Awesome job!

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 29 Jan 2006 , 7:55pm
post #6 of 6

How adorable is that? You did a fantastic job!!! icon_smile.gif

Lazy_Susan icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%