Smash Cakes

Decorating By Stogz Updated 1 Feb 2006 , 5:35pm by lilie

Stogz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stogz Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 9:08pm
post #1 of 13

I am making my son's 1st birthday cake. I was wondering for the mom's out there what the best cake for the smash cake would be. I know you should avoid chocolate but, do you avoid eggs or oil? I have heard of people making cakes using applesause instead of oil but I am not sure how to do it. I just know my son is going to dig in and eat til we take it away so I want what he does eat not to be so terrible for him. I would like him to sleep sometime that day/night! icon_smile.gif Thanks

12 replies
janethorp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janethorp Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 9:14pm
post #2 of 13

I made a smash cake out of regular old cake that you would feed an adult. It was the shape of a beach ball. The boy did not eat any of it at all. Those little ones ALWAYS surprise me.
But back to you question... show much can they eat and my girls never over did it. If he over does it just take it away what's the harm in that.
I must say my 4 year still thinks she has to smash her cake.. as my girlfriend said "So see what you started when she was one!" LOL

lilladycreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilladycreations Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 9:15pm
post #3 of 13

I JUST TOOK MY 1.5 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER TO THE DOCTOR AND HE SAID THAT SHE CAN EAT WHAT SHE WANTS. THAT NUTS, HONEY AND EGGS IS A WIVES TALE ABOUT BECOMING ALLEGERIC. MY DAUGHTER HAD NO PROBLEM WITH HER SMASH CAKE WHICH I MADE WITH LEFT OVER BATTER FROM HER CAKE.

snicker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snicker Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 9:16pm
post #4 of 13

I agree, regular cake. My kids even had chocolate. They really dont get that much anyway and chocolate looks so cute smashed all over them!!!!!

snicker Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 9:18pm
post #5 of 13

By the way, if hes's going to get off his sleep schedule its going to be from all of the excitement not the cake. Chances are, after such an exciting day he'll sleep like a log!icon_smile.gif

Stogz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stogz Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 9:22pm
post #6 of 13

That is true! My husband and I keep saying he is going to dive right in but he might be looking at all the people looking at him and think he is doing something wrong and not even touch the thing! Thanks for all the info.

If I were to use applesauce instead of oil just for furture refrence, if it calls for 1/3 cup oil do you just use a 1/3 cup applesauce?

snicker Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 9:26pm
post #7 of 13

Good question, I honestly don't know. I would think you would need to use more applesauce because it would be mostly water and water isn't quite as moist as oil but I really haven't a clue. If I was going to do it right now I'd probably add 1/2 to 3/4 cup of applesauce. Someone else may know better. icon_smile.gif

Alien_Sunset Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alien_Sunset Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 9:30pm
post #8 of 13

Whenever I substitute applesauce for oil I do it one for one with no detriment to the cake.

Well, actually, the cake usually ends up tasting sweeter because of the sugars in the applesauce. but that's about it.

potatocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
potatocakes Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 9:36pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Quote:

I JUST TOOK MY 1.5 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER TO THE DOCTOR AND HE SAID THAT SHE CAN EAT WHAT SHE WANTS. THAT NUTS, HONEY AND EGGS IS A WIVES TALE ABOUT BECOMING ALLEGERIC. MY DAUGHTER HAD NO PROBLEM WITH HER SMASH CAKE WHICH I MADE WITH LEFT OVER BATTER FROM HER CAKE.

I just wanted to comment on this about the nuts, honey and eggs being an old wives' tale. As far as the honey is concerned, the danger is not in the child being allergic, but in the honey being impure and causing botulism, which can result in death. When the dr. says the child shouldn't have nuts or eggs until after their first birthday, it's because some children are highly allergic, and these types of foods when given too early in a child's life are not only choking hazards (nuts) but can also lead to a higher risk of allergy than if they were not given until later. So please, whatever anyone does, do your own research on the net or ask your ped., but please be careful!

Sorry, just had to point that out. I hope I haven't ruffled any feathers! icon_smile.gif

Krise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krise Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 9:54pm
post #10 of 13

yes Honey is still dangerous to babies.... That isn't a wives tale at all. There's plenty of test and such on this. The bactieria isn't save for a child 2 and below to eat.

RaRaRobyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RaRaRobyn Posted 29 Jan 2006 , 4:48pm
post #11 of 13

My daughter is about to turn 1 as well! When is your little guys birthday? Rory was born on Feb. 2nd, so here party is at Chuck E Cheese on Feb 4th. Just thought I'd ask since he's turning one soon as well!

I have a 2 1/2 yr old and I still don't give her honey. The only nut she ever has is a small amount of peanut butter here and there.

However, I've given both my kids eggs (scrambled well done) before the age of 1. For the small amount they're getting, and the probablility of allergy considering no one in either my family or my husband's is allergic to ANY food..my daughters smash cake will indeed be a regular cake..she's already had some from mommy's creations anyways!

Good luck!

Robyn usaribbon.gif

sparkleshine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparkleshine Posted 1 Feb 2006 , 5:01pm
post #12 of 13

My son's smash cake was a carrot cake without nuts - I felt a little better about the veggies in it as he hadn't had any sugary/sweet treats at all before that. icon_smile.gif

lilie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilie Posted 1 Feb 2006 , 5:35pm
post #13 of 13

My grandson's smash cake will be regular confetti cake, but my daughter has requested stabolized wipped cream instead of buttercream so her son will clean up easy!!! icon_eek.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%