Total Newbie Question...removing Cake From Pan

Decorating By dizzy94 Updated 28 Jan 2006 , 2:15pm by atkin600

dizzy94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dizzy94 Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 4:18pm
post #1 of 11

Ok I need to know when I am removing a cake from a standard 9x13 metal pan do I leave the cake cool completely or do I take it out while still warm?

Thanks for bearing with me icon_rolleyes.gif

10 replies
bulldog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bulldog Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 4:28pm
post #2 of 11

I put the cooling rack on top of the pan and flip it over. I take a knife ond run it around the edges. I do it before it cools.

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 4:29pm
post #3 of 11

You might want to let it cool for about 15 minutes before you flip it. Make sure that you run a spatula around the edge first to loosen it up. Place your board on top of the cake and pan. Flip them as one unit. Tap the bottom of your pan with your hand (breaks the seal of the cake from the bottom of the pan). And carefully remove the pan. Let the cake finish cooling before decorating.
Just a note: If you find that the cake is sticking to the bottom of the pan, even with all your efforts to keep it from doin so, place a piece of parchment paper the same size as the bottom of your pan into the bottom of it and grease and flour it as well. Helps in torting (cutting the cake to make layers).
Hope these help ya and welcome to cc.

LisaMS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMS Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 4:39pm
post #4 of 11

Wax paper is great stuff. I always spray my pans with cooking spray then lay the wax paper into the 9 x 13 pan where it goes up two sides (fits perfectly) Then I cut strips for other two sides of the pan. Not only will it make getting the cake out of the pan easier, but I really think it helps keep the outer part of the cake from getting too hard.

I also let my cake cool for about 10-15 minutes; but it doesn't have to be totally cooled to flip.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 10:43pm
post #5 of 11

If I cool a cake in the pan, I may or may not get the cake out of it. I usually flip mine out of the pan and onto a cooling rack 10-15 mins after it comes out of the oven.

conb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conb Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 10:51pm
post #6 of 11

I spray the pan with Bakers Joy before putting the cake batter in. I've never had a cake stick to the pan using this. After cooling for about 10 minutes, I place a rack over the pan and flip it over to allow the cake to finish cooling. icon_smile.gif

campbelland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
campbelland Posted 28 Jan 2006 , 2:12am
post #7 of 11

Hi, I just baked a 9x13 cake today. After using wax paper in my pans for 40 years ( Yea thats a long time) I have found that I like parchment in the bottom of my pans better. Yes I let it cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, you will see the cake pull away from the pan, thats a good sign. I run a knife around the cake well then flip on my cooling rack. I also have been using Bakers Joy here lately on the bottom and sides too. I used to make my own pan grease.

tastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycakes Posted 28 Jan 2006 , 2:19am
post #8 of 11

I use Baker's Joy and leave the cake in the pans until I'm ready to use it! Never have any problems with sticking! Before I flip it, I run a knife around the edge and hold the cake at a 45 degree angle and bounce it to make sure it's loose, turn and bounce all the way around, then flip. It only takes 5 seconds.

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 28 Jan 2006 , 2:22am
post #9 of 11

I use Wilton Cake Release. I let my cakes cool completely before taking them out of the pan. I never have issues with them sticking. icon_smile.gif

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 28 Jan 2006 , 2:06pm
post #10 of 11

I'm in the wax paper club. Of course,parchment is great too, but in my opinion, not enough to pay the extra price.( Except when baking cookies).
Parchment is priceless when baking cookies.

atkin600 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
atkin600 Posted 28 Jan 2006 , 2:15pm
post #11 of 11

I was using Betty Crocker white cake mix and always had a problem with it sticking and part of it staying in the pan when I used my 9x13 sheet cake (I grease with Crisco and then flour). It stopped when I used parchment paper, but that can be kind of expensive. So, I switched to Pillsbury white cake mix and have not had a problem.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%