Thinking Of Taking The Wilton Cake Decorating Class

Decorating By classymomx3 Updated 30 Jan 2006 , 2:11am by snickers21

classymomx3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classymomx3 Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 4:00pm
post #1 of 18

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this site and new to cake decorating. I'm thinking of taking the Wilton class 1, but after looking at all the wonderfuls cakes here i'm not so sure I'm ready for the class. What can I expect from the class?
Does it matter that I don't have alot of experience? Thanks for any and all help.

17 replies
Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 4:05pm
post #2 of 18

Welcome classymomx3!!!
You're gonna love CC icon_smile.gif I can't help you about the classes. I am self taught because I work nights. ButI know that if I could I would take them. Good luck with it. I know you'll have a great time!!!

Lazy_Susan icon_wink.gif

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 4:06pm
post #3 of 18

There are tons of posts about the Wilton classes, and the consensus seems to be - take them! I took the first and second classes (the store has yet to offer the third), and I absolutely loved them. I learned that it you don't need any experience to take the class.

Now, on what you'll learn. You'll learn different borders, how to make a rose and a gel transfer. And the really cool thing is that after you learn how to do it all you'll say to yourself, "This is easy." - I know I did.

If you are interested in taking the classes, try and take them in Feb. - I'm pretty sure Wilton is still offering the course 1/2 off.

Oh, and finally, welcome and enjoy!!!

smashcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smashcakes Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 4:12pm
post #4 of 18

go ahead and take them, they're inexpensive and fun. there were people in my class that had never mixed up a bag of icing and then people with some experience. so don't worry about lack of experience, they're pretty basic courses. they talk a alot about icing consistency and go over the basics of borders, how to hold your bag, flowers, etc.

Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 4:15pm
post #5 of 18

You do not need any experience to take the Wilton Class 1. It is designed for a complete beginner. I am in it right now and I actually had some previous experience, but there is a lady in my class that had only baked a cake from a box a couple of times and the closest she came to decorating it was to spread some canned frosting on the cake still in the pan. And she is doing really well in the class. You might check out the cakes in the gallery listed under Cake classes. This will give you an idea af what you will be making in the courses. Most of them are labeled as to what class they are from.

In the first class you learn how to make buttercream icing. How to torte, level, fill and ice a cake. How to use the star tip to fill in designs and make a shell border. How to figure pie clowns and faces. How to make drop flowers and how to make a rose. The first class the instructor decorates a cake as a demo. Each class after that you come to with a iced cake and decorate in class with the technique you have learned that class. You will decorate 3 cakes by the time you finish course 1. The rose is taught over three classes. So by the last class you have learned to make a rose.

Hope this helps. The class is a lot of fun and teaches you some great basic techniques, especially if you are a beginner.

SheilaF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheilaF Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 8:28pm
post #6 of 18

I loved the classes so much, I took all three! I wish there were more in my area that I could get to. I even took a cookie decorating class working with fondant. I have four children, so getting to classes is no easy task. My husband is a work-a-holic, so not home on a regular basis, but I made him make time for those classes (and his co-workers really helped encourage him to get him home for those because they got to have the practice cakes!). I REALLY wish I had taken them years ago. I'm a total cake decorating addict now. It's funny because anytime someone is having an event for my kids, my kids will ask me "Mom, can you make a cake for ....." Or, if they don't give me a lot of time, I can at least do cookies on a stick. And they love the reactions their friends have when they see them. We've actually had kids who refused to eat the cookies or cup cakes because "they are just to pretty" so they just take them home. I love cake decorating (just hate the clean up-wish there was a self cleaning button somewhere in my kitchen).

creations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creations Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 8:30pm
post #7 of 18

Hi all, hey classymom welcome and yes it would be a learning experience if you take the wilton classes. I first started by self taught and then I went in to the classes to get a better idea of what I was doing and it was well worth it, JUST got to warn you, you will become an addict to buy a whole lots of cake decorating supplies pans tips, food coloring etc..... Try a course and see if your feeling to take a challenge ( CAKE CHALLENGE HUMOR LOL ) Good luck and once again welcome

Sherry0565 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherry0565 Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 8:35pm
post #8 of 18

Take the Classes! They are Great, and alot of fun! I had only dabbled in Cake decorating before I took the courses, but Now I can make decent cakes that I'm proud of. The key is to practice what you learn in class, at home. The more you do it, the better you will get. And as far as what you will learn, You will be able to make prettier cakes than any of the MegaStore bakeries! Roses, rosebuds, daffodils, pansies.....lots of flowers, and many different borders!

You won't regret the courses. My only regret was waiting until I was 40 to take them!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 10:23pm
post #9 of 18

The Wilton Course 1 is the basics. You will learn how to make the Wilton Buttercream, ice a cake and much more in the first lesson. From there you will learn stars, dots, writing, figure piping, shell borders, roses and some other things.

My advice, if you have the time, take them. Yes you can certainally learn on your own. There are some awesome cake decorates that are self taught. But to me it does help to have someone show you things sometimes. I'd get help with the basic, there are tons of other things out there you can self teach yourself.

And yes this board and others like it are great learning places and places you can lean when you need help. But some people just need to see things in person sometimes to pick it up.

If you have a Michaels near you, Feb classes are only $12.50. March it will be buy the kit get the class free. icon_smile.gif

classymomx3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classymomx3 Posted 28 Jan 2006 , 3:12pm
post #10 of 18

Thanks to everyone for all the good words and advice. I have signed up for my first class. I'm so excited!! I'll let you know how i'm doing and i may even post a picture or 2. Thanks again!!!

sweetsuccess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsuccess Posted 29 Jan 2006 , 12:52am
post #11 of 18

Good Luck! I think you will have lots of fun and possibly a life-long interest.

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 29 Jan 2006 , 1:41am
post #12 of 18

Hi! I really think that the Wilton classes are a wonderful way to learn the basics. I have taken all three, and just finished the Wilton Gumpaste class, which is a whole new challenge! For me, this site has just challenged and given me more new ideas as a spin off of my classes. It's also a community of cake "friends" who are more than willing to help. Have fun!

MadeYaLook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadeYaLook Posted 29 Jan 2006 , 2:35am
post #13 of 18

You will really enjoy the Wilton classes. I will be finishing up Course II on Tuesday, and can't wait to start Course III. thumbs_up.gif

I took the class on a whim. It was a good reason for my friend and I to get out of hte house once a week and do something together. As a result I am completely addicted! icon_biggrin.gif

If you check out my pics 3 of the 4 pics are the cakes that I completed in course I. You'll love it.

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 29 Jan 2006 , 4:47am
post #14 of 18

I'm not so sure I am going to post any of my photos.....after looking at some of these and some are just spectacular. I am having issues and when I see something that looks easy, I think, I can do that and then have problems with the small details.....where is the smiley with a bag over his head?

Phoov Posted 29 Jan 2006 , 4:55am
post #15 of 18

LOL~Zamode!!! We ALL have issues of one sort or another! I can't get my icing smooth without holding my breath working VERY hard at it.....and my buttercream roses stink...........but I can crank out a pretty nice fondant or gumpaste one. Go figure. The great thing about CC is that there are decorators of every ability and interest level. There's a place for everyone~ and plenty of encouragement to go around. Ya gotta start somewhere! I look at some of my first cakes and can see that I've improved...........it's a point of reference. Sometimes I laugh at what I thought at one time was wonderful! Jump in!

Phoov Posted 29 Jan 2006 , 4:55am
post #16 of 18

LOL~Zamode!!! We ALL have issues of one sort or another! I can't get my icing smooth without holding my breath working VERY hard at it.....and my buttercream roses stink...........but I can crank out a pretty nice fondant or gumpaste one. Go figure. The great thing about CC is that there are decorators of every ability and interest level. There's a place for everyone~ and plenty of encouragement to go around. Ya gotta start somewhere! I look at some of my first cakes and can see that I've improved...........it's a point of reference. Sometimes I laugh at what I thought at one time was wonderful! Jump in!

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 29 Jan 2006 , 5:08am
post #17 of 18

Thanks Phoov! Still self-conscious but having a boost from someone like yourself is sometimes all it takes. thumbs_up.gif

snickers21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snickers21 Posted 30 Jan 2006 , 2:11am
post #18 of 18

I just signed up for the Wilton I class as well. I am SO excited. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%