Help!! Blue Frosting...tastes Bad??

Decorating By dizzy94 Updated 27 Jan 2006 , 3:24pm by cake4you

dizzy94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dizzy94 Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 2:08pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone,
I am attempting a Thomas the Tank engine 3-D cake today for my nephew's birthday tomorrow. I am flying by the seat of my pants for how to design it (I will post a picture when I am done) but I have questions about the color.

I made a Barney cake years ago and made it purple, well it tasted HORRIBLE (that red food coloring taste) and dyed everyones mouth purple. So I am hesitant to make Thomas as dark blue as he needs to be and what about black will that be an issue as well?? I am willing to sacrifice a little in the color area for taste but would like to be as realistic as possible.

Hope someone can help.
Thanks
Melanie

7 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 2:11pm
post #2 of 8

That's odd because I have never had a problem with either black or blue tasting aweful.Are you using Wilton paste or something else??.Americolors are Fantastic!!!

dizzy94 Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 2:15pm
post #3 of 8

I am using food coloring, maybe that is my problem?? I have to use it now I have no choice for this cake as I live in a VERY small town and our little IGA only has food coloring icon_rolleyes.gif

Could it just be because I am using the wrong product to color it?

Thanks
Melanie

Kiddiekakes Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 2:17pm
post #4 of 8

Yes...Food coloring will leave a nasty taste!!! If you can..try ordering some of the Americolors from here off the site once the inventory is in next week!! You will never use food coloring again!!! Again...I would use proper formulated color gels made specifically for coloring icing for cake decorating!!

dizzy94 Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 2:20pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks KiddieKakes,

I will just have to go with chocolate frosting for the black parts of Thomas and make him lighter blue than I would have liked. I will, however, order some of the gels for future cakes since I always am the one asked to make them for parties.

Have a good day
Melanie

Kiddiekakes Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 2:20pm
post #6 of 8

Anytime!!!

Mslou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mslou Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 2:33pm
post #7 of 8

I was making cupcakes for my granddaughter's class last week and didn't have enough red icing color (Americolor of course). I looked everywhere in the house and found dry Kool-Aid mix. I am talking about the ones you have to add sugar to. I used cherry in 1/2 cup of frosting just to test. The color was good and the taste was awesome. Just a thought for emergencies.

cake4you Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake4you Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 3:24pm
post #8 of 8

that is a great tip....my hubby is a kool aid freak, so I always have like 10 varieties of kool aid in stock....thanks so much!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%