Oh My - So Many Questions!

Decorating By khufstetler Updated 8 Mar 2007 , 9:22pm by khufstetler

khufstetler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khufstetler Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 5:49pm
post #1 of 22

My first "paid" cake order - from word of mouth! And not like ANYTHING I've ever done before! (jeez, I do cookies!)

First the picture of what she wants (yes, she sent that to me as definitely what she wants):

Now the questions:

1. That's the Wilton stand up bear pan, right?
2. That's a star tip?
3. This is not a crusting buttercream sort of thing, right?
4. She wants A CROWN instead of the hat!!!!??????
5. How much should I charge?

and the most important question.... how many of these do you think I'll have to make before I actually get it right? icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_redface.gificon_confused.gificon_sad.gif

I'm thinking this cake's been around for awhile and there's NUMEROUS ones in the gallery - anyone want to help a cake-newbie out? Take me under your wing? Do it for me and overnight it? Just kidding....

At least I got a month's notice, if I have to make a dozen of them or so!!

21 replies
MahalKita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MahalKita Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 5:53pm
post #2 of 22

Can't help but GOOD LUCK!

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 5:57pm
post #3 of 22

yes that looks like the wilton stand up bear, using a star tip and another tip to do the ruffle around the bib section. I'd have her buy a crown to use on it instead of the "ice cream cone hat", and I'd use regular buttercream icing on it.
Now for the price, don't ask me, I still give away all of my cakes.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 5:59pm
post #4 of 22

You could try making a little crown out of royal icing... there are some pictures in the gallery. thumbs_up.gif

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 6:00pm
post #5 of 22

Yes that is the wilton bear pan. You can use a star tip - you also use a grass tip or a star tip and make swirls (save you hand from hurting). I would buy the three star tip it will be very helpful to you. You can use a standard buttercream frosting.

Are you making the crown or put a toy one on.

Making it will take time and you will need a back up - maybe $12 - $15 if it is a simple crown design.

Cake would be about $30.00

Good luck and post the pic when you are don.

freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 6:02pm
post #6 of 22

If I were you I would buy the three star tip that wilton sells to cut your time down a bit. I bet you could get it within the first or second try. Price, have no clue! Your buttercream would not have to crust, since you won't be smoothing it out. The crown is not hard, just make a small one. There are lots of posts on those. Use royal icing and sprinkle with sparkles while still wet. You can do this

danasflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danasflowers Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 6:02pm
post #7 of 22

Wow she is asking a lot!

I know there are directions or something on here about making a crown out of royal icing. You will have to practice this one. I would also charge a lot for it if she wants it eatable.

I would also use the star tip, and the crusting butter cream would be fine too. I don't think that part matters as much.

Using the bear pan would be the best to use, even if it "slightly" different. That is what you have available to work with.

I would check with some bakers in our area and see what they charge for specialty, sculpted cakes. This is going to take a lot of time. In my area (Washington State) I would charge around $3/per serving. I know cakes on the east coast go for double. That is why I said check with your area.

Start making one. See how it goes. If you got the idea, then I wouldn't make any more. But at least practice one before you dive in.

Good luck!

Dana

ruralepicure Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruralepicure Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 6:06pm
post #8 of 22

1. That's the Wilton stand up bear pan, right?
2. That's a star tip?
3. This is not a crusting buttercream sort of thing, right?
4. She wants A CROWN instead of the hat!!!!??????
5. How much should I charge?

Yes, that is the Wilton stand up bear pan, a star tip for most of it and I would use my regular buttercream frosting. I agree, ask her to pick up a crown for the cake.

I'm sure that you already know this but just a tip since you mentioned that you usually make cookies. Make sure that you use a cake that will stand up well, I've been told that it needs to be a more dense cake so it doesn't flop.

I'm sorry, I wouldn't know what to charge. I'm horrible at that!!

Good luck and I'm sure that your first attempt will come out perfect!

grannykay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannykay Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 6:07pm
post #9 of 22

I have no idea if I am even in the right place I'm new to the computer and the one I bought hates me!!!! so is this where you talk to each other or do i need to tap a few more keys and see what pops up????? icon_confused.gif

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 6:12pm
post #10 of 22

You said you had to make a dozen of these?!? Is this the full size bear or the mini bear? Either way, it's going to be quite a project.

Personally, if it's the large bear, I would charge at least $50 each (they are a pain), and she would have to provide a crown. If she wants an edible crown add $10-$15 each.

If it's the mini bear, I would charge at least $25 for them (they will be harder because of their size). I would also have her provide the crowns.

These are going to be a LOT of work, so you should get paid properly. If this is what she really wants, she should be willing to pay. If she argues the price remind her that you do specialty cakes, ones that cannot be gotten at the grocery store, and you are entitled to make a decent profit. Ask her what she thinks a fair hourly wage would be for someone who does similar work to hers and then ask if she thinks you do not deserve the same.

I don't mean to rant. It just seems like the public thinks there is nothing to making cakes. If it is so easy, why don't they do it?

Sorry, and I hope this helps (probably not, but.... icon_rolleyes.gif ).

Michele

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 6:12pm
post #11 of 22

I would ask her to buy the crown to go on the bear. My local supermarket does these cakes and they charge $37.99. I would charge $55-65. Hope that helps.

sprtd76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sprtd76 Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 6:13pm
post #12 of 22

If you are planning on making this cake from a mix and using the stand up bear pan, make sure you use a mix with pudding in it or a pound cake. It definitely needs to be dense. I made one at Christmas and charge $40. for it. HTH.

Beth icon_biggrin.gif

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 6:16pm
post #13 of 22

Congratulations on your first order!

You'll want to use a dense cake for this as the stand up bear can be tricky. And if the cake isn't dense enough it will definitely take a nose dive!

It looks like they might have used a ruffle tip to also make the bear's fur by pulling out slightly but that would probably be a pain and I'd use the star tip and a swirling motion to cover the cake quicker.

You can make the crown/tiara out of chocolate. I have done a couple recently and it's very easy. there are several templates on here. Just shrink it to the size you need (I can do that for you if you want!), tape it to a small can, cover with wax paper(taped securely down), spread a super thin layer of crisco over the wax paper (to ensure that it releases easily) then once your chocolate has cooled a bit pipe it on the design using a tip 3. Let it cool/harden and then go over the design 1-2 more times. This will make it stronger.

Alot of stores now make the stand up bears so I would check prices and go from there with your pricing.

icon_smile.gif

ourboomer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ourboomer Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 6:16pm
post #14 of 22

I have also done this bear using the 233 tip (grass tip). I think it makes the bear look more realistic. I don't have a picture of one but there are some in the gallery. Here are a few links.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_251053.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_227453.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_91118.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_72981.html

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 6:17pm
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannykay

I have no idea if I am even in the right place I'm new to the computer and the one I bought hates me!!!! so is this where you talk to each other or do i need to tap a few more keys and see what pops up????? icon_confused.gif

If you want to talk about cakes this is the place. If you click on the forums tab at the top of the page it will bring up the different catagories and you can select from there. Hope that helps.

JulieBee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieBee Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 6:20pm
post #16 of 22

I'm just wondering why I'm unable to see the cake you posted???? Anyone know why?

khufstetler Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 6:53pm
post #17 of 22

WOW!

Thank you SO much everyone for the help!

...and thankfully no, I don't have to make a dozen (just thinking I'd get it right on the thirteenth try, lol)

I will take everyone's advice and begin this weekend - icon_cool.gif

THANK YOU AGAIN!

*off to make crowns king.gif *

sweetcakesva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesva Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 9:32pm
post #18 of 22

you should definitely use a pound cake type cake, I made a standup by wilton and didn't use pound cake, and well...I could probably write a cake disaster story about it. These are not extremely difficult but you should charge accordingly because it will take time for it to be right. I would definitely make the crown from royal icing because you can really add a lot of appeal especially being that it will be a handmade crown, in turn increasing your price.
Good luck and stay strong! You can do this! =)

khufstetler Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 4:11am
post #19 of 22

Okay, I just had a frightening thought... and I'm going to be talking with the mother tomorrow afternoon.

should I offer her "flavors"?

I hear everyone talking about flavoring of cakes and frosting, would you do this with a poundcake recipe and that type of frosted cake (since you don't have a middle "layer" for a flavored filling)?

Thanks again for the help - I promise not to be a bother! icon_cry.gif
or at least I'll try not to!

ribbitfroggie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ribbitfroggie Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 11:23am
post #20 of 22

I have used the stand up bear pan many times (you can see in my photos) and I actually just used a cake mix, plus pudding and an extra egg which makes for a more dense cake, and they have stood up beautifully everytime. If you are worried about flavors than don't bother, but I have done lots of flavors and have had no issues as long as I used the pudding in the mix. Also, since I give a list of flavors, fillings, etc. if they ask for a filling, I just tell them it's not offered due to the 3D shape, plus with the pudding added in, it's already pretty flavorful. If you need any help at all please PM me!

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 1:12pm
post #21 of 22

If you doctor a mix your best bets are chocolate, white, yellow, french vanilla. The only cake I have found that, even doctored, didn't become very dense was strawberry. I use DH mix. If you use Pillsbury with the pudding already in the mix and add a box of pudding and the extra egg is will be dense.

khufstetler Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 9:22pm
post #22 of 22

Thank you again for the help... I emailed her and left the "flavor" subject out (we can discuss that when we talk I think).

I'm going to try one this weekend to be sure... I'll post a pic EVEN IF THE ARMS FALL OFF! icon_surprised.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%