Grrrr...michaels

Decorating By Sugarbunz Updated 8 Mar 2007 , 3:43pm by archanac

Sugarbunz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbunz Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 32

Am I the only one who can't get coupons from these yahoo's for anything? I know you can get them in the Sunday paper, but I don't buy papers; and everyone around me gets them in their weekly junk mail (Which I've been scouring); but they (my so called *friends* - hehe) don't want to fess them up to me (WHY do so many people have to have hobbies icon_razz.gif ). I talked to the store and they said contact corporate (instead of giving me the dumb coupon), so I contacted corporate and they sent my (not very nice - but not nasty) email back on to the store and district manager. Have not heard a thing. I even wrote corporate back and got nothing. I signed up online and given my address and everything, it was actually the first thing I did. I don't care that much for Wilton's products and will be happy to take my business elsewhere but darn it those 40% off coupons could come in handy for some things.

31 replies
ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 5:45pm
post #2 of 32

What I did was sign up online for Joann's coupons and use them at both Michael's and Joann's, best of both worlds! I also signed up my DD and get her coupons (heehee, sneaky). I admit I've been tempted to take the coupon off their flyer near the restroom but I've resisted that (so far).

http://www.joann.com/ At the bottom there is a area for "sign up for email coupons"

MahalKita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MahalKita Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 5:47pm
post #3 of 32

I use to get them every week in the mail until I started needing them & now I don't see them anymore (it's been about 6 months). I make a point to buy a Sunday's paper if I know I am going to be in need of something from there. Yeah that is kind of frustrating. Good luck!

Sugarbunz Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 5:49pm
post #4 of 32

Oooh, so you can use Joanne's coupons at Michaels? Unfortunately, my Michaels pens out the coupon bar code so no one will be tempted. In general I like Joanne's much better than Michaels, but they don't carry as many cake items. I think my mom needs to subscribe to Joanne's as well hehehehehehehehe.

MahalKita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MahalKita Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 5:51pm
post #5 of 32

Thanks ChrisJ, great idea!

ChrisJ Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 5:51pm
post #6 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarbunz

Oooh, so you can use Joanne's coupons at Michaels? Unfortunately, my Michaels pens out the coupon bar code so no one will be tempted. In general I like Joanne's much better than Michaels, but they don't carry as many cake items. I think my mom needs to subscribe to Joanne's as well hehehehehehehehe.

Yup! Michael's takes Joann's and vice-versa. Oooh, your Michael's is sneaky, my local Michael's hasn't caught on to doing that to the barcode, sssshhhhh!

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 5:55pm
post #7 of 32

Are these for Joanne's online/email (print yoursef) coupons, or for mailed ones? My Michaels says they won't take any self-printed coupons. I get them for Rag Shop quite often, but Michaels won't take them (and RS inventory is pathetic!).

ape Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ape Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 5:56pm
post #8 of 32

Check with your Michael's. You may need to request mailed coupons from Joann's. My Michael's stopped accepting Hobby Lobby or Joann's coupon unless they are from paper (they won't take printed ones from email).

Horselady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Horselady Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 5:56pm
post #9 of 32

I get my Joanns stuff through email. Makes it simple, and because Michaels doesn't do that, I don't shop there. I'm not as serious as some of you, so I haven't run into anything I need that Joanns doesn't carry.

minnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minnow Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 5:57pm
post #10 of 32

Are the Michaels' stores SUPPOSED to take competitors (in this case Joannes) coupons or is it to their discretion? I've asked both the ones close to me and they won't.

SweetDolly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDolly Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 5:59pm
post #11 of 32

My Michaels' can be snippy about accepting JoAnn's coupons. They won't accept a JoAnn's coupon during a week when they don't have a valid 40% off coupon of their own circulating. On the other hand, my JoAnn's will allow me to use 2 of their coupons plus 1 Michaels' coupon (40% off of 3 items) at one time! Love my JoAnn's!!! icon_lol.gif

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 6:00pm
post #12 of 32

In case you didn't know Michael's also takes AC Moore coupons.

ChrisJ Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 6:01pm
post #13 of 32

I don't know if they HAVE to take competitors coupons but you can always write corporate and ask them. Also, Joann's mails me their flyer so it's not a computer generated coupon. I get them regularly in the mail, and my DD's also :- )

You can also ask family and friends to save their coupons for you?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 6:01pm
post #14 of 32

The Michaels here won't accept anyone elses coupons either. they are a real pain in the butt. If you don't get their coupon out of the paper you don't get the discount. It just isn't worth my time to deal with them so I print my coupons (as many as I want) and go to Hobby Lobby.

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 6:02pm
post #15 of 32

I think when there's something you want at Michael's, just by the Sunday paper that Sunday icon_smile.gif

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 6:17pm
post #16 of 32

Yea- my Michael's won't except email printed coupons anymore either. And they used to go ahead and give you the coupon discount if you said you forgot yours or didn't have one but they won't do that anymore either. And I do subscribe to the Sunday paper and let me tell you the Michael's circular/coupons have been few and far between. It used to be that they had a coupon and circular every week but it seems like now it's only once or twice a month! But on the other hand AC Moore is coupon crazy here - I get them every week in the junk circular in the regular mail and I get an email from them at least once a week and they've been having a bunch of "Moonlight Madness" sales a few times a month too (Mostly on Sundays).

Sugarbunz Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 6:52pm
post #17 of 32

Well, I think that about settles it for me. I will never step foot in a Michael's again (watch how fast I put my foot in my mouth). I have just had really poor experiences lately with them and they are not worth my time. I shouldn't HAVE to go out and buy a Sunday paper since I've taken so many steps to have the coupons sent to me like everyone else. Not that I'm above buying a paper, it's the principle and I'm stubborn icon_razz.gif I have been watching for months for a Wilton Class and they don't even have an instructor, yet once a quarter Sur La Table charges $75 for a full (looong) one day Saturday Wilton class (which suits my schedule much better). Much more expensive I'm sure, but so much more convenient and I'm anxious to get better at bc roses. Now if we can just teach those snooty store clerks in Sur La table some common courtesy we'll be good. icon_smile.gif

meggylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meggylou Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 8:57pm
post #18 of 32

The Michaels near me won't accept competitor's coupons either. My solution...print off 3 coupons for AC Moore and bring both of my kids. I hand my 3 yr old and 4 yr old each cash and a coupon and they buy the items for me. I think it annoys the cashiers, but hey, I want my discount.

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 9:07pm
post #19 of 32

I do that with my kids too!! LOL It cracks my son up!!

Kiki97np Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiki97np Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 9:18pm
post #20 of 32

I buy the newspaper... it's always exciting when it has flyers for Michael's, AC Moore, AND Ragshop in the same paper! True, the newspaper costs $1.50, but you can save a lot more $$ than that by using those 40% off coupons!

jburbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jburbie Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 9:21pm
post #21 of 32

i work at a michaels in canada and i know the mark up on some of the wilton things. Some are very high. but when some one forgets their coupon we are suppose to give them the discount anyway, all the customer has to do is fill out a excemption form. sorry about the spelling.

punkinpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkinpie Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 9:26pm
post #22 of 32

Oh my goodness - you probably don't want to hear about all my Michael's complaints. I have many. They are AWFUL here, but they have many things we can not buy any where else.

In regards to the coupons (I live in a postal code they do not send them to)
I have discovered that it is how you ask for them - at least here anyway. I had to make many calls to the store to find this out.

You can't say you lost it, forgot it, didn't receive it or anything like that. You need to say I would like a coupon please. Apparently, at our store anyway, staff can get fired for offering a coupon or giving one when you don't ask the right way.

Our store will not accept an email coupon either.

HTH

Alexis

Sugarbunz Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 9:30pm
post #23 of 32

Thanks for all of your tips. Luckily I have many more options where I live so I will just try to stay away from the store. I also enjoy scrapbooking and their selection is not stellar. I remember when Michael's was a fun place to go to but over the last several years I usually come out of there pretty peeved.

archanac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
archanac Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 9:35pm
post #24 of 32

We have Michael's, Hobby Lobby, and JoAnn's here. I don't know if our stores will accept a competitor's coupon or not, but I've been lucky in the past few months that either Michael's and/or Hobby Lobby will have a 40% coupon in the newspaper every Sunday.

greyhoundlover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greyhoundlover Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 9:36pm
post #25 of 32

I live just outside Toronto, Ontario and I hardly get the flyer. I go in and tell them that I don't get the flyer and they give me the discount. When I started cake decorating, I would go to Michael's on a daily basis to get the discount. I am also getting married in 2 weeks, I would go in and buy stuff for my wedding favours too. I have never had a problem at either store in my city.

jstump Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jstump Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 12:06am
post #26 of 32

My Sunday paper NEVER has a Micheal's coupon in it yet!!! icon_mad.gif My mom gets them all the time & she's only 15 mins away. I'm pretty sure it's the sorry news paper around here not being stuffed with the right stuff. It makes me mad though because I use those 40% off to buy my pans icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif - I never miss a Hobby Lobby one though icon_biggrin.gif

chocolateandpeanutbutter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolateandpeanutbutter Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 12:35am
post #27 of 32

Maybe it's different in Canada. I work at a Michaels, and we are allowed to give the coupon discount if the customer asks for it, but we are not allowed (by threat of firing squad - just kidding) to offer it. It's the "don't ask, don't tell" policy.
One coupon per person, per day. I don't know if all Michaels in Canada operate this way, but for certain, all our regular customers sure know it!
We also are required to black-line the barcode on any flyers in the store, but the customer can still use them. It's more to track where the coupons are coming from.
I don't work in the Wilton section, but I sure know the area well! icon_lol.gif
I love the staff at my store, they are a great crew, and customers often remark at how helpful the staff are, as a whole. I can only say, that I wish you guys all shopped at my store! I'd be happy to help you! (tee hee)

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 4:15am
post #28 of 32

Hi Sugarbunz!
I get the Michael's ad from the Sunday paper and I don't subscribe to the paper so I just buy my paper each week. They don't always have them in there though. Sometimes they come in the Wednesday junk mail stuff. I know you mentioned you don't get those either. I'm assuming there are quite a few Michael's near you in Scottsdale so it's pretty odd that you don't get them.

I thought I'd mention that you can also take decorating classes in Mesa at Christy's Cake Supply store if you're interested. If you haven't been into her store, take a look. It's great and the East Valley cake club meetings are held there montly too.

KimAZ

Sugarbunz Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 4:35am
post #29 of 32

Thanks KimAZ! I actually work in Mesa, and provided my mom or husband could pick up my son from daycare that night, if they have weeknight classes it would be totally feasible!

rosiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecakes Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 4:51am
post #30 of 32

OK y'all just thank your lucky stars you have a choice of places to GET wilton stuff. Out here in the boonies if walmart doesnt have it, its a road trip to slidell where all they have is party city and hobby lobby, you have to go to New Orleans to get michaels or joannes.

OT- is it just me or does your local party city hire the most CLUELESS individuals you have ever met? seems to be a corporate thing among every party city i have ever been to.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%