Suggestions On Pricing This Cake Please

Business By thin4life Updated 25 Jan 2006 , 1:38pm by ellepal

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 1:00am
post #1 of 10

I am making this cake for a birthday. It will be a 2 layer white cake with a strawberry filling and buttercream icing and royal icing drop flowers. I will not be going the e-motion piping. I am not real good a decorating yet but don't I am not terrible either. I have just started making cakes for others. I live in Madison, WI. What would you charge for this?

9 replies
thin4life Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 1:07am
post #2 of 10

OK, I tried attaching a picture but for some reason it won't work. If anyone has the book by wilton called Decorating Cakes, A reference & Idea book, the cake is on page 31. Any help would be much appreciated.

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 1:13am
post #3 of 10

Did you convert the photo to jpg???

lotsoftots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lotsoftots Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 1:14am
post #4 of 10

And what size cake pan--8"? 10"?

thin4life Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 1:16am
post #5 of 10

This is an 8 inch and I just posted a picture in the gallery under anniversary cakes.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&pos=-21757

lotsoftots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lotsoftots Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 2:52am
post #6 of 10

I would charge $40. I usually charge $40 for an 8" double layer cake. I always torte the layers and fill between the layers, so it's a nice tall cake.

snicker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snicker Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 2:59am
post #7 of 10

I would charge 25 or 30. I agree with lotsoftots that its worth 40 but I'm going to guess, (I could be wrong, so please dont be offended) that if your somewhat new to this you may feel uncomfortable asking for more than that. Do a few cakes at a reasonable price and then start charging more. When I say reasonable I dont mean short change yourself. You will know when its time to increase your price. Your phone will be ringing and you will feel confident. Good luck!!

thin4life Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 1:24pm
post #8 of 10

Snicker, I am not offended, you are absolutely right in what you say. Thanks to all who replied, I really value your thought and opinions!

katiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katiecake Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 1:32pm
post #9 of 10

I made a couple of cakes for cost for friends and am always amazed at how much it cost- ex a FBCT on a 11 by 18 buttercream cake filled cost almost 30.00 for ingredients only- its amazing how it adds up... dont sell yourself short icon_rolleyes.gif

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 1:38pm
post #10 of 10

I'd say between 40 and 50...that is just beautiful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%