Buttercream Transfers

Decorating By Pamela Updated 31 May 2005 , 2:38pm by mrwarnke

Pamela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pamela Posted 27 Aug 2004 , 7:55pm
post #1 of 11

When the buttercream transfer is put on the cake, does it thaw or have any condensation on it? I'm thinking of using it on a baby shower cake and using that as the baby's face (the body I will decorate using star tipped design)

10 replies
Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 27 Aug 2004 , 10:36pm
post #2 of 11

Cali4dawn is the buttercream transfer Queen as soon as she gets online she can tell ya..

I want to say no there is not going to be any but I dont do them she is going to teach me next week how to make them...

applejack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
applejack Posted 28 Aug 2004 , 3:21am
post #3 of 11

I have done a few BCT and i have never noticed any.

jcastro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcastro Posted 31 Aug 2004 , 12:44am
post #4 of 11

I have tried to do a buttercream transfer but things didn't go to well. After I froze it and placed it on my cake the out lining of the picture was smeared from melting.

dawnscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnscake Posted 31 Aug 2004 , 2:56am
post #5 of 11

The more b/c transfers I do, the better they get.
I place my picture with a piece of glass (from photo frame) over it, then a piece of wax paper on top of the glass. Out line the picture on the wax paper, fill in, then put a somewhat thick coat of b/c (something light & fluffy works best, colored to match your base color on the cake so that it blends in) on top of my filled in outline and spread it out. This helps to make it even & give it enough thickness to hold up when you place it on the cake. Oh, if the picture has arms or legs or something sticking out I fill in between them to make the photo squared, so that there are no pieces that could break off. Put the glass with the transfer on it, in the freezer for about 20-30 minutes. Take it out, remove transfer with wax paper from glass, flip it onto the cake & peel off the wax paper. Then add a border around the transfer. I have never really had a problem with melting or condensation. You do have to work somewhat quickly because if it starts to thaw you can't move it. It does take practice for most people(me included!). If I do one anytime soon I will take step by step photos if anyone is interested. HTH.

Pamela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pamela Posted 3 Sep 2004 , 1:28pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks for your reply--I'm planning to do a practice run before I actually do the cake. I'll reply and let you know how it went (or didn't) and if possible, I'll send pictures.

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 17 Sep 2004 , 5:36pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcastro

I have tried to do a buttercream transfer but things didn't go to well. After I froze it and placed it on my cake the out lining of the picture was smeared from melting.

Your lining icing has to be thick. Not so thick that you can't pipe it, but very firm. The more firm, the better.

As for the original post, no, it does not get condensation and it will not melt. It will soften, but it sort of stays as one solid piece. It never softens as much as the original BC you used to make it. When I place it on a cupcake cake, it pretty much stays in one piece as we're lifting the cupcakes out from underneath it.

I leave mine in the freezer forever. I usually make them a day in advance. Not because I have to as far as being frozen enough, it's juts what I do in my method of madness. LOL. I always leave them in at least 90 minutes. Yes, 20 minutes will do it in a pinch. But it does not solidify it.

Have you tried it yet? Did you use my step-by-step instructions? they are pretty detailed. Let me know if you need any further help.

mrwarnke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrwarnke Posted 31 May 2005 , 1:02am
post #8 of 11

If I use the Recipe for Buttercream Icing for Frozen transfars, do I need to keep my finished cake refrigerated? I thought I read somewhere that it didn't need to be, but wanted to check.

I did my first transfer today - it's in the freezer still. Can't wait to se how it turned out.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 31 May 2005 , 3:42am
post #9 of 11

Hi, hope you BCT comes out well! No, it isn't necessary to keep your finished cake refrigerated.

Be sure to post a photo! Janice

mrwarnke Posted 31 May 2005 , 2:23pm
post #10 of 11

Here's a pic. Turned out pretty good for my first try! Thanks for the info! icon_smile.gif

mrwarnke Posted 31 May 2005 , 2:38pm
post #11 of 11

sorry - it's in my photos.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%