Glaze Queation. Size Of A Bag Of Sugar?

Baking By Alien_Sunset Updated 24 Jan 2006 , 7:34pm by TexasSugar

Alien_Sunset Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alien_Sunset Posted 23 Jan 2006 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 6

In my search for vegan alternatives for cake decorations, I found this recipe for a colour flow alternative.

http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1923-Glaze-for-color-flow-items.html

The only problem I have is that it doesn't specify the size of the sugar bag.

Is it a 1 lb bag of sugar? 2 lbs?

I need to know how much to buy.

5 replies
erinlynn22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinlynn22 Posted 23 Jan 2006 , 5:41pm
post #2 of 6

I don't know, but if I were you, i would buy the 2lb bag, add only half of it, and if its too watery add more until you get the correct consistancy (this way you won't be stuck with too little)

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 1:18am
post #3 of 6

That sounds alot like Toba Garrett's Cookie Glaze recipe, only hers uses milk instead of water.

Her recipe uses a 1lb (or about 4 cups of powdered sugar). Do keep in mind with either of the recipes that it is the thinned out versions, and you will need to add more powder sugar to the parts you want to outline with.

Toba's Recipe....

1 pound 10x powder sugar
3/8 cup milk
3/8 cup light corn syrup
extracts to taste

Mix sugar and milk first to a soft creamy texture then add corn syrup till combined.

This can be colored. this is flood consistency; you can thicken it up to pipe outlines. it dries to a nice sheen but not too much. it surface dries in 2-4 hours; thoroughly dry in 12-24. keep covered in plastic to prevent drying out. store in frig for 3 weeks.

Alien_Sunset Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alien_Sunset Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 12:23pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you.

My pet peeve is when people don't specify specific amounts. Especially when there are so many different possible versions.

I mean, everybody know how much is in a cup, or in a pound. But the supermarket sells at least 3 different sized 'bags'
icon_mad.gif

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 12:50pm
post #5 of 6

Is there such a thing as 1 lb bag of powdered sugar. I only have seen 1 lb. boxes and 2 lb. bag of powder sugar. With that much water it sure seems like 2 lbs. of sugar.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 7:34pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by julzs71

Is there such a thing as 1 lb bag of powdered sugar. I only have seen 1 lb. boxes and 2 lb. bag of powder sugar. With that much water it sure seems like 2 lbs. of sugar.

3/8th is 6 Tablespoons of liquid, weither you use milk or water. The recipe makes the thinned out version that you use to flood on the cookies. You have to add powder sugar to some of it to thicken it up for outlining.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%