Dust And Buttercream???

Decorating By macksnax Updated 24 Jan 2006 , 10:45am by macksnax

macksnax Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
macksnax Posted 22 Jan 2006 , 9:54am
post #1 of 4

i just bought some luster andpetal dust but i was wondering if it can be used with buttercrm flowers or can you only use it with fontant and gumpaste. if so can you explain it to me on how i would approach by doing it. thank you in advance for all the help.

oh and one last question: what is the difference between petal and luster dust??

-dallas

3 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 22 Jan 2006 , 11:55pm
post #2 of 4

I've used the dust on buttercream, to cover the top of a cake and give it (what I hoped was) a mirror appearance. So I know it can be used on buttercream. I haven't tried it on flowers, so I wouldn't guess how you would go about it. I can say you want a soft brush and a soft touch.

Petal dust is matte in apearance, where luster dust has a shiny appearance. In the past someone posted a really good description of the different types of dust. I can't remember who at the moment, but you should be able to find the post using the search feature.

----

Went on a search for the post, here is the link: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-11877-dust.html

There are also several other posts on how to use the dusts and questions about them.

lilie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilie Posted 23 Jan 2006 , 1:34am
post #3 of 4

I have used dusting powers on buttercream flowers.
I let them dry for several hours before dusting them and putting them on the cake!

macksnax Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
macksnax Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 10:45am
post #4 of 4

thanks for the info, very helpful. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%