Black Icing Question

Decorating By daisyblue Updated 7 Mar 2007 , 1:28am by daisyblue

daisyblue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisyblue Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 11:56pm
post #1 of 7

Does anyone have a good tip on how to keep black icing color from feathering/bleeding into the surrounding icing on a cake? I made a cake this past week & it had black writing on white BC icing. It's a good thing the cake was consumed on the day I made it because within 6 hours of finishing the decorating, the black icing was feathering out onto the white. I used meringue powder & I thought that was suppose to help but it didn't. Any ideas? Thanks!

6 replies
Kelrak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kelrak Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 12:14am
post #2 of 7

I have read that Wilton's bleeds, but other brands like Americolor don't.

Derby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Derby Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 2:19am
post #3 of 7

I always use chocolate frosting for my black....it just takes a little black coloring, so it tastes better and it doesn't bleed at all.

freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 2:24am
post #4 of 7

was your icing too soft? I normally don't have a problem with bleeding, but my cake from this weekend bled and I think it is because I just had too soft of a buttercream.

kbrown99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbrown99 Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 2:28am
post #5 of 7

I've never had a problem with my black icing, but I always start with a chocolate buttercream and then add a little black to get the right color. Also, writing has to be thin consistency, but the way you get it might make a difference. Instead of just thinning it with water or milk, use corn syrup and/or piping gel. In addition to the right consistency, they help it with the "flow" so that it doesn't break apart as much as you're writing. Hope that helps.

jendalain Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jendalain Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 2:33am
post #6 of 7

I agree with Derby. I use chocolate or brown icing to get to black.

daisyblue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisyblue Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 1:28am
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the tips!! I'll try them all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%