Welcome Home Dad Cake?

Decorating By fourangelsmommie Updated 12 Mar 2007 , 12:34am by fourangelsmommie

fourangelsmommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fourangelsmommie Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 5:47pm
post #1 of 13

I just had a request for a welcome Home cake for a son-in-law coming home from Iraq.

The cake is due on Friday, so any ideas are appreciated. It doesn't have to be military, and he will get to see his daughter, who just turned 1, for the 3rd time (I think) since she has been born.

Any ideas at all????????

12 replies
deester Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deester Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 6:30pm
post #2 of 13

Hmmmm....here's a bump while I'm thinking.

deester Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deester Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 6:45pm
post #3 of 13

Ok, I looked through the gallery and came up with this....

An edible image of his new little girl and a "Welcome Home Daddy" or something along those lines.

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 6:55pm
post #4 of 13

When my husband returned he was a bit amazed at all the green (even though it was December). It had been so long since he had seen all of the trees and flowers (particularly those on the golf course), that he was really taking it all in. He had been without the green for 13 months. It was something I hadn't considered - just something to throw in to your idea mix.

fourangelsmommie Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 7:12pm
post #5 of 13

anyone else????

JCLois77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCLois77 Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 8:16pm
post #6 of 13

A couple of ideas,

An actual replica of his home

or something that is a creature comfort that he might have missed.
Slippers and a newspaper maybe?

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 9:39pm
post #7 of 13

"no longer just in our hearts

but in our arms too!

we really missed you!

welcome home

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 9:47pm
post #8 of 13

I did a welcome home cake for a soldier with the little hero pan. I put a flag in his hand and decorated him in camo. He is in my photos. Actually, he was one of my first cakes, so not that special, but the soldier sure loved him and appreciated the warm welcome.

Something with a yellow ribbon shows a lot of love and support as well. I know you said it didn't have to be military, but that's who he is and sometimes they want to be embraced for exactly who they are and what they have done to keep us all safe at home.

I'm sure it will be a wonderful cake. I'm glad he's coming home!

Stacey99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stacey99 Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 11:40pm
post #9 of 13

Hi. You guys have some great ideas! You are so right about them missing the green. Do you know what branch of service he is in and have you decided what shape of cake you want to make? I am partial to a patriotic theme, so here are a few thoughts that come to mind. With any of these you could use Welcome home daddy we missed you! Or something else to that effect.

If you are doing a sheet cake: you could have a simple large yellow ribbon or American flag, you could put America (or your state) on one side of the cake with Iraq on the other and have jets (or tanks etc) flying from Iraq to home, or maybe just a house on the one side and pipe the jets flying over with the welcome home written in the jet exhaust. Since he has a one-year old, dont be afraid to use toy planes or military vehicles on the top. You could also make it look like a desert camouflage suitcase and put his squadron patch (made from fbct) on the front. If you would like to do a stacked cake maybe you could write sayings around the sides such as 130 days, 72 phone calls, 3 holidays etc with the welcome home on top with a small American flag and his branch of service flag both sticking out of the top (or write the things around the side that he missed with his daughter such as 240 baths, 200 bottles, etc). It may also help if you look through the gallery at a few of the Halloween haunted house cakes which you could alternatively decorate in red white and blue or yellow ribbons. Finally on a more simple side see what kind of decorations they are using (if any) and make the cake to match their balloons and signs.

Hope that these ideas get your creative juices flowing. Best of luck and please post a photo when you are done. God bless our troops! usaribbon.gif

wjhays Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wjhays Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 11:57pm
post #10 of 13

You can check out my photos. I did a red,white and blue flag cake for my husband when he returned home from his deployment in Iraq. Anything patriotic was my choice. I found that cake out of one of Wilton's books. Something about an American Flag says it all to me. And boy how proud it makes us to be an American. Just an idea and good luck with your cake.

rstml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rstml Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 12:01am
post #11 of 13

I bet the thing he missed the most was his family and that is what means the most to him. How about a cake with his family on it...whether its fbct or fondant figures?

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 5:16am
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

"no longer just in our hearts

but in our arms too!

we really missed you!

welcome home

YEAH Doug!!!!!! LOVE THIS!!!!

fourangelsmommie Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 12:34am
post #13 of 13

After talking with the customer again, she decided to go ahead and do something military after all.

I did a little soldier in tan camoflauge and instead of holding a gun, he has a mini American flag in each hand. It says Welcome Home around him.

As soon as I get another battery for my digital camera I will post the pic. My battery died right after I took the pic.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%