Your Opinion On Price Of This Cake...

Business By faitheve Updated 7 Mar 2007 , 6:32am by nefgaby

faitheve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
faitheve Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 20

I just sold this one for $60... all satin ice fondant(as well as on the cookies) do you think this was about right for this cake?? I am so bad at pricing...
LL

19 replies
Lindsayu83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lindsayu83 Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 5:54pm
post #2 of 20

It doesn't sound like a bad price, although I've never bought the Satin Ice. What was your cost?

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 7:10pm
post #3 of 20

What size cake is it?

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 8:20pm
post #4 of 20

Is that an 8"? It sounds reasonable to me.

faitheve Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 10:28pm
post #5 of 20

It was a 10inch- the satin ice was $12

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 10:36pm
post #6 of 20

I charge $80 for a 10x4in covered in fondant. I would also tack on another $20 for the bow and cookies, so for that cake I'd charge $100.

qtcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtcakes Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 10:36pm
post #7 of 20

great price, wish i could get those prices.
looks good by the way.

sugarnut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarnut Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 11:15pm
post #8 of 20

I want to live where you guys do! Here I'd be lucky to get $25 or $30 for that same cake... icon_cry.gif

bjfranco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjfranco Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 11:35pm
post #9 of 20

I would have charged $70. Just adding the cookies alone takes up a lot of your time with extra baking and decorating. If they were a repeat customer, I think $60 was fair. Great Cake by the way. The bakery here charges $25 to a fondant bow on the cake! I just don't have the nerve to do that yet.

What type of cake was it? If it was anything other than typical white then you need to charge more. I charge extra for strawberry, lemon or chocolate.

bj icon_wink.gif

faitheve Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 12:28am
post #10 of 20

it was a choc. cake with choc pudding filling... the cake was for a friend so I wouldnt have charged her top $ anyway. pricing these cakes out has been the hardest for me by far! I feel like if I say too much than people wont use me... so I end up undercharging and totally lowballing myself the attached cake I did this weekend and I charged $85 for the two tier cake and an additional 9x13 sheet cake(for cutting in the kitchen to serve along with this one.) Apparently eveyone at the party was like.. wow! this was a cheap cake! uuuggghhh! I am so mad at myself!!!
LL

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 1:16am
post #11 of 20

I think the price was appropriate for the first one. Not sure what sizes the second cakes are but with the additional 9x13 you probably undercharged.

Chiara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chiara Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 1:19am
post #12 of 20

Your second cake was underpriced. A lesson learned.
Just figure out a cutting diagram and charge a a flat rate for a slice. That way you will be eventually be able to quote a cake by the slice.
Good luck.
Your cakes were nice by the way.
Claire

schildwaster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schildwaster Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 1:35am
post #13 of 20

I would think $60 was a fair price. Lots of work but in the end it really is only a 10 in cake. The guy from Sugar Rush charged $40 for an 8in with just filling and frosting on it like grandma used to make. Its all about location, location, location. You should have gotten more for the second cake. $85 wasn't bad for the first one but younshould have made another 30 on the sheet cake at least. I stink at charging too. the anniversary cake in my gallery went for $125.
It is a wonderful cake. And you used high quality ingredients so even it you don't get top dollar your doing top dollar work!

faitheve Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 2:54am
post #14 of 20

I am wanting to get into higher end wedding cakes... I know I have a lot of things to learn and perfect still... but I am so NOT assertive. I am quickly realizing that if I want to make any money... I have to buck up and grow a back bone!!! This is good for me though, who knew that cake decorating would teach me life lessons.icon_wink.gif go figure~ thanks to all for giving me advice... I would be totally lost with you all!icon_smile.gif

faitheve Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 4:22am
post #15 of 20

i meant without you all icon_biggrin.gif

mypastrychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mypastrychef Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 5:46am
post #16 of 20

My 10" cake with fondant is $125. + $45 for looped bows. or $25 for dress bow, if there is a lot of fondant pieces I add for the additional work.

6" & 10" tiered cake $125... with basket weave $150

mpc
www.mypastrychef.com

faitheve Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 6:00am
post #17 of 20

your stuff is amazing!!! I am not sure if where I am people would pay that... I wish!! I am in a suburb of Ft Worth.. or it may be that I could get that much but I dont have the guts to ask... because it is def. worth that much with as much time and effort as we put into it! It is an underappreciated artform I think! I think a lot of people here want me to compete with walmarts pricing... oh brother... its like people wanting a five star restaurant to compete their pricing with Burger King!!!

mypastrychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mypastrychef Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 6:16am
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by faitheve

I think a lot of people here want me to compete with walmarts pricing... oh brother... its like people wanting a five star restaurant to compete their pricing with Burger King!!!

Yeah, and if they did try to compete they wouldn't be in business very long!

tapedshut.gif Wal-mart is for a different crowd of people.

icon_mad.gif We had to train people in our area.
icon_surprised.gif They were just not use to these kind of cakes.
AND the thumbs_up.gif FoodTV has been great for awareness of the cakes available to consumers. thumbs_up.gif

mpc
www.mypastrychef.com

faitheve Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 6:19am
post #19 of 20

no kidding. I kind of liken it to invitations, you can go to hallmark and pick up a pack for $5 and fill it in yourself. but when you order them, you might pay $5 per invite! It is a whole different thing when you fill in invitations vs. having them specially done... key word SPECIAL!!!icon_smile.gif but, i am preaching to the choir!!icon_smile.gif

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 6:32am
post #20 of 20

I charge $50 for my 10" cake with fondant... no bow and no cookies though... if that was the case, I would charge extra $10 for bow and extra $10-$15 for cookies! HTH
I also think it depends on your area! location! location! location!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%