Does This Bother You???

Lounge By cookingfor5 Updated 7 Mar 2007 , 4:04am by tabby235

cookingfor5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookingfor5 Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 5:12pm
post #1 of 17

Does it bother anyone else that the material they use for T-shirts is getting thinner and more see-through? I hate it. I have bought several shirts that keep getting holes in them because the material doesn't hold up. I dream of the days when a T-shirt was thick and comfy! I don't want to have to wear 2 T's or 2 tanks everytime I get dressed. My husband still gets thick shirts, but mine are paper-thin.

16 replies
heather2780 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heather2780 Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 5:24pm
post #2 of 17

I was just commenting to my husband this morning on this very same subject even sweaters of all things I have a new sweater that I can wear because it is completly see through I guess people just arent suppse to care anymore if there bra shows through.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 5:53pm
post #3 of 17

I was complaining a few days ago to my DH that I feel indescent in some cloths now because of the material being so thin. How comes he can buy thick shirts and I can't?

cookingfor5 Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 7:27pm
post #4 of 17

I have found that only basic color T's from Old Navy are thick or I have to spend $25 plus at higher end stores for plain T's and cami's. I know the stores justify this as current fashion and will be out of style in a few months, but it has taken over way too much of the market. I don't throw out T's every few months because I'm a mom.

It just drives me CRAZY shopping these days! I'm glad I'm not the only one out there that this bothers.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 9:08pm
post #5 of 17

What makes me nuts is that everything is 100% cotton and shrinks the first time you wash it! I'm 5'9" and can never get shirts that stay long enough! Whatever happened to those nice cotton blends?
I also have a problem with an XL is big enough to fit my 8 year old niece! icon_rolleyes.gif

mommabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabear Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 9:42pm
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodieF

What makes me nuts is that everything is 100% cotton and shrinks the first time you wash it! I'm 5'9" and can never get shirts that stay long enough! Whatever happened to those nice cotton blends?
I also have a problem with an XL is big enough to fit my 8 year old niece! icon_rolleyes.gif

OMG my daughters and I scream about this too. All the cute t-shirts they get we have to buy a size larger just for the shrinkage. And thats with those so called pre shrunk ones also!! I'm 5'9' too and that has Always been my biggest complaint, that shirts arent nearly long enough!!! We are a tall family and finding clothes we like is hard!!!! The jeans have gotten lower and the shirts are too short.

heather2780 Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 9:46pm
post #7 of 17

The only person I like shopping for is my 3 year old girl but even then its a pain finding something that fits right what had the world come to when you have to buy toddler sizeing one size up or there showing off her belly.
also for my son hes 7 all of his pants are ripped and torn around the bottom because the pants that fit around his waste are all made to hang off the boys butt its awful.
and I wont even begin to get started in what they offer in plus sizes now days have you ever tried to buy something in layne byrant who had 45 dollars to spend on a t-shirt.
and if you guys have any advice on where to buy really frilly easter dresses for little girls I would love to know I'm sick of only finding things that pop stars would wear.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 9:56pm
post #8 of 17

I read in Business Week magazine just today that items geared toward woman are going up in price faster than those geared toward men. I put "using thinner material" in that category. The article "claimed" it was a supply and deman deal ... more women working than men, so more women with money than men, and women tend to spend more on themselves than men.

We spend more on ourselves because stuff costs more! I was whining about needing new bras and "I wish I could just go out and buy 5 new ones!" Hubby was exasperated with me and said, "Well, just do it!" I said, "I didn't know we had an extra $250 laying around!" He went thru the roof! "WHAT???????????" He had no idea that a bra to fit me was in the $50 range! Men also don't have to pay $4 a DAY for socks .... $20 a week for a woman working in an office ....l but that's what I paid since pantyhose only lasts about 20 minutes anymore. I need to spend $50 for a bra, but hubby only has to spend $8 for a package of 3 or 4 t-shirts!

And I've read a number of times and I've seen it myself that the exact same item in the woman's dept will cost more than the same item in the men or boys dept. Seriously .... check it out next time you're out shopping! I found t-shirts .... same brand, same mfg'r, same color, same size .... and the ones in the little girls dept were $3 more than the ones in the boys dept.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 10:07pm
post #9 of 17

Heather...I used to get my daughter gorgeous dresses in retail shops! They were hardly even worn and usually in perfect condition!

I agree about the plus sized shops...the prices are stupid and the clothes look like they were made for teens or old ladies! n\\No offense intended to teens and old ladies icon_razz.gif

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 10:17pm
post #10 of 17

About the frilly dresses... I can only find them at Easter & Christmas time, but during those times I see them quite a few places... Target, JCPenney, Ross, Marshall's, TJ Max, Burlington Coat Factory had a ton of them when I was there last week.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 2:58am
post #11 of 17

Not only do women's clothes cost more, but so do alterations and dry cleaning. So very unfair!

heather2780 Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 3:07am
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissablack

About the frilly dresses... I can only find them at Easter & Christmas time, but during those times I see them quite a few places... Target, JCPenney, Ross, Marshall's, TJ Max, Burlington Coat Factory had a ton of them when I was there last week.

I love target and jcpennys and even mervens for there spring dresses I usally get her fancy dresses from jcpenny as well but this year we are going to the midwest for easter to see my family and my dd is my moms only grand daugther out of 12 grandkids and my mom is really into very frilly dresses and since I figure my years are numbered where my dd will like these kinds of dresses I want to find them now. I looked online at pennys and while there are some must haves I cant find that one dress thats going to pop like a princess for my mom. I will have to check out burlington I havent been there in so long.
Jodief thats so funny you mentioned teens and old ladies thats what my husband says all the time I looked like im in high school or in a retirment home I want something that says im young and well dressed but without showing the world all i have to offer and withough wearing a mumu and i dont want to have to sell my first born to get it is that so much to ask for. icon_biggrin.gif

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 3:41am
post #13 of 17

I have to share my new favorite T-shirt

They carry long sleve in the winter and short in the spring - fitted but cut very nice . v-necks, scoop necks and regular full-coverage higher neck t-s.
Don't shrink much, keep their color, and are longer than your average T!!! (I'm long-waisted and always find t's creeping up).

Ann Taylor Loft.

Ok, they're a little bit more expensive, but usually on sale something like 2 for $34. I bought close to 6 this past fall, have worn all a million times and they still look great!

Plus, the sales people are super helpful and the store is organized.Usually I'm a total bargain shopper, Old Navy, Target, Marshalls, but I go out of my way to go there for Ts.

oooo ooo! And their sizing is pretty true as well! icon_wink.gif

Check them out!

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 6:55am
post #14 of 17

heather - have you thought about David's Bridal? I don't know what your budget is, but they have gorgeous girls dresses (flower girl section) for about $100. LOVE the ones with petals in the skirt overlay. Very Easter-ish icon_smile.gif

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 1:52pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I read in Business Week magazine just today that items geared toward woman are going up in price faster than those geared toward men. I put "using thinner material" in that category. The article "claimed" it was a supply and deman deal ... more women working than men, so more women with money than men, and women tend to spend more on themselves than men.

We spend more on ourselves because stuff costs more! I was whining about needing new bras and "I wish I could just go out and buy 5 new ones!" Hubby was exasperated with me and said, "Well, just do it!" I said, "I didn't know we had an extra $250 laying around!" He went thru the roof! "WHAT???????????" He had no idea that a bra to fit me was in the $50 range! Men also don't have to pay $4 a DAY for socks .... $20 a week for a woman working in an office ....l but that's what I paid since pantyhose only lasts about 20 minutes anymore. I need to spend $50 for a bra, but hubby only has to spend $8 for a package of 3 or 4 t-shirts!

I wear a hard to find bra size and my husband is SO not happy about that, he would agree with your husband about it being outragous. He also doesn't like the price of underwear because he can buy a whole pack for less than a woman can spend on one pair.

cookingfor5 Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 4:11pm
post #16 of 17

Heather - I find a lot of dresses every year from "Chrildren's Place" The prices are usually pretty good, especially since they go clearance before Easter. Target has some cute ones, but they are disappearing fast. Gap has the cute Sundresses for not too bad prices, but kinda plain I would think for what you want. Otherwise Department stores. As for the rest of my daughters clothes, I don't even bother most of the time with the discount stores because of the size and shrinkage issue. I seem to spend less on her when I buy better quality. I'm a big fan of the Gap this past year and Children's place. Usually good quality clothes that wash well, plus they go clearance about 4 - 6 weeks after they arrive in the store.

I am glad everyone else is bugged by the fashion trends with material lately. When I was younger, I didn't mind my stomach showing as much, but now forget it! It seems like every look out there is a layered look. I'm tired of doing all that laundry!

tabby235 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tabby235 Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 4:04am
post #17 of 17

that is so true. Thank god I can sew. just made a summer top cost me $4.00 I love make my clothes no one has anything that looks like mine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%