Attaching Fbct To The Top Of A Cake.

Decorating By dianab Updated 23 Mar 2007 , 1:17pm by berryblondeboys

dianab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dianab Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 1:54pm
post #1 of 6

I made a round cake that had a frozen buttercream transfer for the whole top of the cake. It turned out great except that I think there was way too much icing on the top of the cake. I had iced the cake like usual then applied the FBCT. In order to have less icing on top, can i just skip icing the top of the cake first? Or can I use something else to adhere the FBCT to the cake... like piping gel or something?

Thanks!

5 replies
springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 1:59pm
post #2 of 6

Maybe you can just do a thinner coat of icing on top.

AngD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngD Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 2:04pm
post #3 of 6

Yeah I know what you mean, it gets real thick once the FBCt is put on, Maybe just crumb coat the top so the icing from the transfer adheres to it.

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 2:11pm
post #4 of 6

I put the thinnest of layers of icing on top of the cake and do it RIGHT before I adhere the FBCT so that it's not crusted and will GRAB the transfer.. Also, with practice, you can make your FCBT less thick. Mine are about an 1/8 thick and never more than 1/4 inch and that's pretty standard amount of frosting on top.

dianab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dianab Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 1:00pm
post #5 of 6

I tried a very thin layer like berryblondeboys and merissa suggested on my last cake and it turned out so much better. Thanks for the suggestions!

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 1:17pm
post #6 of 6

Oh, glad it worked, that Dilbert cake is SOOOO cute! Great for work!

Melissa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%