Navy "wings" Idea Needed

Decorating By tabs Updated 8 Apr 2005 , 10:28am by ump107

tabs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tabs Posted 4 Apr 2005 , 7:11pm
post #1 of 8

Badly!

I am stumped here. My friend's husband just finished flight school and is getting his wings this week. I wanted to make a cake but I'm not really sure what to make or what to write on the cake. I can't come up with anything "snappy", if that makes sense icon_wink.gif I hate the blah "congratulations.." messages, yet I might have to resort to that. /insert panic mode

I was thinking about cutting a plane out of a sheet cake? I dunno, I've never done anything like that before. I could try though. I jokingly told my sister that I could use my castle mold and put a plastic plane crashing into it, but we didn't think that was too appropriate icon_evil.gif hahahah

Ok I'm going to quit rambling and let some of you give me some ideas! icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 4 Apr 2005 , 11:45pm
post #2 of 8

Here's an idea- "Flying high and loud keep the tradion proud" or something like that.
If you aren't up to a sculpted cake, do a buttercream transfer of his wings that he will be getting.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 12:04am
post #3 of 8

Did his flight school have a motto? You could do a cake shaped like his wings. This might be easier than a plane and much more appropriate than a plane crashing into castle--LOL!

tabs Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 1:18am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa

Did his flight school have a motto? You could do a cake shaped like his wings. This might be easier than a plane and much more appropriate than a plane crashing into castle--LOL!

Ha! Yea, I wouldn't do that...I just thought it was funny and thought I'd share icon_biggrin.gif I found a pic of the wings but they are gold and I don't know if it is possible to make gold icing. Someone gave me an idea of making a landing strip with plastic planes so I might take that idea and work from that. I have a few more days to decide.

Thanks though icon_smile.gif I'll definately keep that in mind.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 2:01am
post #5 of 8

I thought it was funny too...it is possible to make gold colored icing but if you want shiny, realistic gold you could cover your cake with fondant and paint it with gold highlighter dust.

http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/coloring/dustinfo.htm

http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/coloring/dusts.htm#highlighter

I like the idea of the landing strip too...that would be a great cake. You could write The Sky Is The Limit or The Sky's The Limit.

tabs Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 2:08am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa

I thought it was funny too...it is possible to make gold colored icing but if you want shiny, realistic gold you could cover your cake with fondant and paint it with gold highlighter dust.

http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/coloring/dustinfo.htm

http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/coloring/dusts.htm#highlighter

I like the idea of the landing strip too...that would be a great cake. You could write The Sky Is The Limit or The Sky's The Limit.

Oh nice, I like that that quote! I've never worked with fondant so that's kinda out of the question since I don't have time to really "play" with it before making the actual cake.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 8:55am
post #7 of 8

The wings that he is getting would be good to model a cake after. The wording above is a great idea to put on with it. Or a plane cake..... even a captains hat shaped cake would be cool.

ump107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ump107 Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 10:28am
post #8 of 8

For the Navycheck out the service web sites there are tons of photo renditions of the wings and other aviation type logos. They would make a good BCT. If he is going to the Fleet maybe an aircraft carrier with planes on deck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%