Cake Collapse....

Decorating By ape Updated 19 Jan 2006 , 8:23pm by peg818

ape Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ape Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 9:59pm
post #1 of 9

OK, so my husband brought a cake I did to work for someone who requested one of my cakes. This was a paid cake. DH said that when they opened the box, a piece of the back had come off......this was a two layer torted cake with 3 fillings. What happened? Would dowel rod supports helped? I feel bad that his first experience with a cake from me was not at least close to perfect. DH said that he even gave me a tip although I don't know if this was before or after they discovered the imperfection. ADVICE PLEASE? icon_redface.gif

8 replies
BellaRosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaRosa Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 10:03pm
post #2 of 9

Do you mean a piece of the back as in a piece of cake or part of the icing? I have had icing borders fall of due to humidity and pieces of cake fall off when the box is not properly supported when carried. Was the cake sculpted in any way or just a standard sheet/round cake? Sorry I couldnt help anymore.

BellaRosa

ape Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 10:13pm
post #3 of 9

A piece of the CAKE came off....this was an 8 inch square cake. I don't know if the cake was too moist for this kind of torting maybe?

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 12:04am
post #4 of 9

did you level the cake. This can happen if your cake is unlevel.

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 12:08am
post #5 of 9

What did you support the cake with??

Plain cardboard rounds are not very sturdy..if the round bent that could be why the piece fell off.

ape Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 3:09am
post #6 of 9

Definitely leveled the cake (even have a level I bought just for cakes). I did only use a cardboard board and a box. I know DH was very careful to support the bottom. All good advice....live and learn! thanks!

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 3:39am
post #7 of 9

Was it a fresh cake out of the oven or did you freeze it first? Sometimes a fresh cake will do this, especially if the frosting is kind of heavy and also if it was cut for torting. You might try freezing it first and it will be easier to handle. Cut it for torting after freezing. It won't hurt the taste and will be even more moist but will hold together better.

ape Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 6:27pm
post #8 of 9

I did freeze it before torting....then I let it defrost before icing it.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 8:23pm
post #9 of 9

my guess is the cardboard underneithe wasn't strong enough.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%