No Diabetic Icing W Fondant, Either!

Decorating By albumangel Updated 5 Mar 2007 , 8:23pm by jo_ann

albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 12:19am
post #1 of 4

I made a cake for a friend (who is not diabetic, but needs to watch her sugar intake) using the diabetic icing recipe on CC (whipped cream, cream cheese, pudding mix), and had read the posting here about the royal icing flowers melting on the diabetic icing. So I decided to add my embellishments with fondant, and wait until the last minute to add the fondant decorations.
Here's the cake:
<Edited to attach photo>

So, the fondant ribbons went on top of the cold iced cake (in the fridge overnight) and I finished the rest right before delivering. It took me about 1.5 hours to do, and then I put it in a box and drove it 20 minutes to my friend's house. When I got there, pools of purple had accumulated at the base of each ribbon, and around all of the fondant balls. icon_cry.gif I also noticed small cracks in the icing coming out from under the fondant ribbon. icon_razz.gif

Could this be from the fact the icing was so cold when I applied the fondant, and then it came up to room temp? Or is this icing just the enemy of all sugar decorations?[/img]
LL

3 replies
qtcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtcakes Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 11:46am
post #2 of 4

the cake looks good.

do you think it was condensation from the cold cake, pooling up? sweating as it warmed up? thats what it sounds like to me.

albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 5:13pm
post #3 of 4

I guess that's probably it. I always heard that you must keep fondant cakes @ room temperature, but I had no idea it was that sensitive!

Anyone else ever use fondant embellishments on a cake that was very cold and see this happen?

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 8:23pm
post #4 of 4

I tried coloring the diabetic icing for borders and to write on and the color ran into the white icing. I think it's the icing itself

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%