Favorite Buttercream?

Decorating By kuki Updated 12 Mar 2007 , 3:20am by Tkeys

kuki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kuki Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 6:10pm
post #1 of 25

What is your favorit buttercream for decorating a cake?

24 replies
notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 6:14pm
post #2 of 25

Buttercream Dream I found this recipe here and have used it since everyone I have made cakes for loves it too!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 7:50pm
post #3 of 25

Dixie's Finest Whipped Icing, her original almond-vanilla flavor. Absolutely yummy, and I can decorate right away. No time needed to make my own icing (which would never be as good!)

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 7:59pm
post #4 of 25

I hear a lot about Butter Cream Dream, but have yet to try it. I can tell you which one is not my favorite- Wilton's. icon_biggrin.gif

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 8:28pm
post #5 of 25

Buttercream Dream is very good - I like it for cakes that I need a crusting buttercream. But if you like non-crusting buttercream I love the Whimsical Bakehouse recipe for their House Buttercream. So smooth and delicious!

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 1:19am
post #6 of 25

Buttercream Dream for white icing and Toba Garrett's Chocolate Buttercream for chocolate! icon_biggrin.gif

sk8gr8md Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sk8gr8md Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 1:35am
post #7 of 25

I'm another buttercream dream devotee. Yummm!

JasmineRose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JasmineRose Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 3:21am
post #8 of 25

I've had wonderful results from Wilton's regular buttercream recipe. I've never received any complaints about it.

moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 2:15pm
post #9 of 25

I have tried different bc recipes and always go back to Buttercream Dream! And for chocolate BC, I love the chocolate syrup bc - it is great!

TandTHarrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TandTHarrell Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 2:33am
post #10 of 25

I made buttercream dream today.. the only thing ireally notice, was that it was alot more smooth than regular buttercream, it was ok......cheaper than making the faux buttercream...

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 2:46am
post #11 of 25

Tami's buttercream from the baking911.com website, although you need to add meringue powder for crusting.

kuki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kuki Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 5:03am
post #12 of 25

Thank you girls for your help. I made dream buttercream and I love it.It's my favorite now thumbs_up.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 5:28am
post #13 of 25

I get the most comments on the Wilton class buttercream recipe. Except I substitute butter for 1/2 of the crisco. The flavor is a lot better and I still get a nice crust.

With the buttercream Dream does it still crust well?

scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 5:35am
post #14 of 25

I'd like to try the Buttercream Dream recipe. Can anyone tell me how much butter is a stick? Also, is shortening the same as what we would call margarine?

roanoker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roanoker Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 5:22pm
post #15 of 25

My favorite was always my mom's. I've been using it for years and when asked I always tell people it is a secret recipe...turns out it is the same as the Buttercream Dream recipe icon_smile.gif Guess the secret is out of the bag!

A stick of butter is 1/2 cup and Crisco is the same as shortening but margarine is not.

junction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
junction Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 5:26pm
post #16 of 25

sorry, this is a stupid question, but does buttercream dream need to be refrigerated?

Tkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tkeys Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 5:38pm
post #17 of 25

For those of you who are buttercream dream devotees, you should know that dream whip is made with coconut oil . . . so if anyone tells you that they are allergic to coconut, coconut oil, or mentions that they have tree nut allergies, you should let them know that the buttercream recipe you use has a coconut oil base! Sorry to be the food allergy police - I'm allergic to coconut, so I'm personally paranoid about it now since I discovered the hard way about dream whip being made with coconut oil.

ceolivari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceolivari Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 5:47pm
post #18 of 25

My favorite is the Wilton's Extra Special Buttercream. It's not too sweet and it crusts good. Here's the recipe:

1 cup crisco
1 cup butter
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp clear vanilla
8 cups powdered sugar
heavy whipping cream--enough to thing the icing to your desired consistency

I love, love, love this frosting. It's the only buttercream I use

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 6:00pm
post #19 of 25

Butter Cream Dream does not have Dream Whip in it!

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 6:01pm
post #20 of 25

Tkeys - I think you are talking about the Dream Whip BC. I am getting the two bc's confused on all these posts lately so I had to look it up! icon_wink.gif

BC Dream
1 stick butter (unsalted)
1 stick butter (salted)
1 cup shortening
2lb bag of confectioner's sugar
3 teaspoons clear vanilla extract
5-6 tablespoons of milk (cold)

Dream Whip
2lbs or 1 kg bag of confectioners sugar
1 pkg dream whip
1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups crisco shortening
2 tsp clear vanilla flavouring
1 Tbsp clear corn syrup
2 tbsp. flour

I have tried the Dream Whip version and it is pretty good but I think I am going to have to try the BC Dream out for my MIL's cake next weekend! icon_smile.gif

Tkeys Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 6:03pm
post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceolivari

My favorite is the Wilton's Extra Special Buttercream. It's not too sweet and it crusts good. Here's the recipe:

1 cup crisco
1 cup butter
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp clear vanilla
8 cups powdered sugar
heavy whipping cream--enough to thing the icing to your desired consistency

I love, love, love this frosting. It's the only buttercream I use

I've used this recipe, too - you can also use milk or water instead of the heavy whipping cream (about 1/3 cup). I actually prefer milk - heavy whipping cream can start out fluffier, but for decorating, I find that it breaks down and can cause some bleeding/running and sagging. I like the milk for flavor, but I'll use water if I'm worried about things holding up in weather.

Tkeys Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 6:07pm
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenm0712

Tkeys - I think you are talking about the Dream Whip BC. I am getting the two bc's confused on all these posts lately so I had to look it up! icon_wink.gif

BC Dream
1 stick butter (unsalted)
1 stick butter (salted)
1 cup shortening
2lb bag of confectioner's sugar
3 teaspoons clear vanilla extract
5-6 tablespoons of milk (cold)

Dream Whip
2lbs or 1 kg bag of confectioners sugar
1 pkg dream whip
1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups crisco shortening
2 tsp clear vanilla flavouring
1 Tbsp clear corn syrup
2 tbsp. flour

I have tried the Dream Whip version and it is pretty good but I think I am going to have to try the BC Dream out for my MIL's cake next weekend! icon_smile.gif

You are absolutely right! I have seen a lot of posts with the buttercream dream recipe and the Dream Whip listed as an ingredient, so I guess I thought that WAS the buttercream dream recipe. . . my apologies if I have confused anyone (as apparently I already am!) I was talking about the Dream Whip Buttercream recipe! There would be nothing of allergy concern in the Buttercream Dream recipe you just posted. Thanks for clarifying that.

scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 12:47am
post #23 of 25

I'm not sure what Crisco is either. Does anyone know the Australian equivalent to Crisco or shortening???

medinadania Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
medinadania Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 1:06am
post #24 of 25

To thin out Wilton's butter cream to desired consistency I used light corn syrup and works fine, and lasts longer.

Tkeys Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 3:20am
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgriffiths

I'm not sure what Crisco is either. Does anyone know the Australian equivalent to Crisco or shortening???

Crisco is 100% vegetable shortening. It is basically the texture of margarine or butter (a thick greasy creamy substance) that is pure white. I've actually heard that in some countries, they have to use coconut fat, and that is the closest equivalent. Hope that helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%