My First Big Cake!! Help On Anything!!!

Decorating By briansbaker Updated 4 Apr 2005 , 5:28pm by sgirvan

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 4 Apr 2005 , 3:11pm
post #1 of 2

I am wanting to put some decoration on the cake for the Sweet Sixteen. The only thing I can do are dots on cakes. I have yet to master anything else. My question is can I make royal icing then find my design and trace it let it get hard and place it on the sides of my buttercream icing? Will it stay or will it slide off. What can I do that will give my cake a better elegant look?
If you would go to "my photos" I have cake there I did for LC cake contest. Those are the exact tiers I will be making. I will change the design a bit. I bought a foam castle for the top and I will make a walkway with fondant to go in front of the castle and add fondant rocks and royal icing flowers for the sides of the walkway. Underneath the cake were I have the pink roses I will have instead the fountain I wanted. I decided to go with a rotating base with a small white pillow ( our table top decorations are white pillows with silver tassle on each end of the pillow and a tiara and wand sitting on top of the pillow) on top of the base and I will place my nieces crown on the pillow. I am also going to add lights to the pillars with white mesh to help hide the wires.
I am looking for something to put on the sides of the cake. I will have the walkway, but how about the back? Do you think leaving it smooth will look better? I am also making two more 14x3 round cakes to go on each side of this cake. What can I do for those? I was thinking of adding pink roses on top of those. Because roses are in our theme. We also will have topary trees with pink roses to go on either side of the pillows. (for the tables) If you look at the cake real good. This is not cake. The ones with silver ribbon are foam. I am going to ice them the day of the event as if they were real. I needed to add height without adding weight. So I decided to use foam cakes. Any and all advice on my design will be appreciated. This will be my first attempt on such a big cake.

FYI : The contest cake in my gallery is not real. Foam cakes were allowed in the contest. The cakes that are iced are the pans I am going to use for this design. again the ones with silver ribbon are foam.
I am sooooooooo scared, the date is getting near!!! What do you think?
Sorry so long!! icon_redface.gif

1 reply
sgirvan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgirvan Posted 4 Apr 2005 , 5:28pm
post #2 of 2

Hello,

As far as the Royal icing question. I have made royal icing flowers, decorations etc and placed them on sides and they did fine. You need to use a med-stiff B/C icing to place them on and I wouldn't recommend placing them until close to the time of showing the cake. I found that my dark royal items got grease stains through them and also the decorations will soften up the longer they are on the cake but then they taste good and I like to eat them icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%