Little Debbies Swiss Roll Plsssssss

Decorating By darcat Updated 4 Mar 2007 , 4:21am by ribbitfroggie

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 12:29am
post #1 of 6

My dh is a fanatic for these lil debbie cakes so I decided to make him a big one lol now I know that they are made with a chocolate sponge cake no problem there and I believe its a chocolate buttercream in the center? but what I'm really wondering is about the chocolate coating on the outside I know that they can be done in buttercream like a buche noel but I want it to be authentic so does anyone have an idea about the thin chocolate coating? is it just melted chocolate or is it mixed with something? I doubt that it is ganache cause its to thin and it flakes pllsssssssss does anyone know? thanks

5 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 12:34am
post #2 of 6

i wonder if you just melted candy melts until runny and just poured those over it so was all coated (do on a cooling rack so excess can drip off)

JamesSweetie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamesSweetie Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 12:34am
post #3 of 6

Its probably a chocolate glaze, made with a little cocoa powder, icing sugar and milk. You could add a little corn syrup to add shine for when the glaze sets. This isn't going to be exactly like the glaze they have, which is probably made with some commerical mix but it will mimic the look.

ETA: I just went and looked at a picture of them, different then what I was thinking (man those things are addictive, loved them as a kid, lol). and it says "fudge coating", so maybe it is thinned chocolate melts?.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 12:48am
post #4 of 6

I would use chocolate candy melts, or chocolate chips with some crisco so it stays a little softer.

princess_tonya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princess_tonya Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 1:01am
post #5 of 6

I think the centers are more of a whipped cream filling, not really a buttercream. They do have new ones that have chocolate fillings too, but I also believe that it is a whipped cream.

ribbitfroggie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ribbitfroggie Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 4:21am
post #6 of 6

I actually have a recipe yo make one of these-let me know if you would like it. Basically it is a chocolate cake cooked in a cookie sheet and rolled into a tea towel while it cools to get it's shape. After it is cooled, it is open backed up and filled with a whip cream filling. I have ate it just like that, or iced it in a melted cocolates thinned with crisco. Hope thay helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%