Fbct As Easy As It Sounds?

Decorating By hjanotta Updated 5 Mar 2007 , 1:36pm by hjanotta

hjanotta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hjanotta Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 5:32pm
post #1 of 14

I am seriously considering using a FBCT for my daughter's birthday cake. I have never done one before and was wondering if it is as easy as it sounds. Thanks! icon_smile.gif

13 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 7:41pm
post #2 of 14

definitely and can make you look like a miracle worker sometimes too LOL People are always amazed that you can recreate a photo of something in icing.......(psst....dont' tell them how lol) just make sure you use a good crusting bc for it and it will save you a ton of headaches here is a good one

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1602-ButterCream-Icing-for-Frozen-Transfers.html

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 7:46pm
post #3 of 14

YES YES YES!! It is very easy, but be prepared, it can take quite a bit of time if you have a detailed image. Definitely worth it for the "WOW" factor, though.

hjanotta Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 8:04pm
post #4 of 14

Thanks. I tried it out, but I think I may have messed up the smoothing out part, but I'm not too worried about it. I purposely picked a very simple unicorn picture so I didn't make myself crazy. dunce.gif I had plan on only making her a rainbow cake, so the unicorn is just an added bonus if it turns out right.

itsloops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsloops Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 8:06pm
post #5 of 14

I'm too scared to try. icon_surprised.gif

Good Luck!

weberm05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weberm05 Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 8:18pm
post #6 of 14

I was shocked how easy it was. It's actually amazing. I still can't belive how easy it is and how it works.

The only trouble I had was my outline. I used the wilton black icing out of a tube. I had a really hard time with it...then when I went to put the transfer on the cake...some of the outline fell off...luckily the transfer was for my husband of a corvette. The outline of the roof of the car fell off...so it turned into a convertible by accident icon_smile.gif ha ha.

But anyway...everyone's different but I wouldn't recommend the wilton black icing to outline.

Hope it helps

hjanotta Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 8:47pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by weberm05

But anyway...everyone's different but I wouldn't recommend the wilton black icing to outline.

Hope it helps

icon_surprised.gif That is what I used. Hopefully it will turn out alright.

jukesbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jukesbox Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 9:49pm
post #8 of 14

I did 2 last week. Both of my sons wanted dragons on their birthday cakes. I too, was afraid to try. I did the transfers on Tues. night and stuck them in the freezer. Decorated the cakes on Thurs. night and they turned out great. The only problem I had was I probably took them out of the freezer too soon and they softened. So, when I put them on the cake, the wax paper stuck to them. I fixed that by sticking the cakes back into the freezer for 30 minutes or so. The wax paper peeled off just fine.

KylesMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KylesMom Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 9:58pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukesbox

I did 2 last week. Both of my sons wanted dragons on their birthday cakes. I too, was afraid to try. I did the transfers on Tues. night and stuck them in the freezer. Decorated the cakes on Thurs. night and they turned out great. The only problem I had was I probably took them out of the freezer too soon and they softened. So, when I put them on the cake, the wax paper stuck to them. I fixed that by sticking the cakes back into the freezer for 30 minutes or so. The wax paper peeled off just fine.

Parchment paper works best for me. I had trouble with the "sticking" thing when I used waxed paper too.

jukesbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jukesbox Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 10:07pm
post #10 of 14

Thanks for the tip! I'll try that the next time.

hjanotta Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 4:45am
post #11 of 14

Okay, I tried it and it didn't work. icon_sad.gif I didn't have time to do another, so I just did something different. In the end I was happy with the finished product as was my daughter. I think the icing was the problem it was pretty thin and it just would not come off the wax paper. I am not discouraged though, I will try again someday.

Thanks for all the responses and tips. I will try the parchment paper next time. icon_smile.gif

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 1:02pm
post #12 of 14

They are easy, but they still take practice to get really good at them...(note to self...still need practice!) But if you have the proper consistency that helps. (there is a recipe that squirrellycakes said was the best for FBCT..but it does not crust, but works nicely. I did the Uncle sam cake with it) I might have to search around for it.

Also as a side note...I too recommend parchment paper. I use the wilton stuff, the silicone treated kind and it works beautifully. Nothing sticks to that stuff! I dont love all of wilton stuff, but this I do! I have read a lot of people complaining about FBCT sticking to wax paper. Some people say they coat it lightly with crisco though and apparently that helps. Just get the parchment though!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 1:04pm
post #13 of 14
hjanotta Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 1:36pm
post #14 of 14

Thank you! I will definitely try that next time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%