Help With Roses...which To Use??

Decorating By BlueDevil Updated 3 Mar 2007 , 3:15am by BlueDevil

BlueDevil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueDevil Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 10:52pm
post #1 of 4

I am making a cake (duh!)...a 4-layer 8" dark chocolate cake with chocolate BC. I want to use roses to decorate the top. In general, I enjoy the stability of the RI flowers I have made. My girlfriend wants dark chocolate colored, milk chocolate colored, and burnt orange roses.

Any thoughts about BC vs. RI? Does adding chocolate to RI ruin the texture? Should I sued just coloring instead, or stick with the BC?

Any thoughts appreciated! icon_biggrin.gif

I am also going to try the Melvira roller method on this one...will post pics when I am done later this weekend.

E usaribbon.gif

3 replies
SheilaF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheilaF Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 1:07am
post #2 of 4

For chocolate, I'd probably just go with chocolate buttercream. After you make the roses, freeze them and then transfer them to where you want them on your cake. Frozen roses are sooooooo much easier to handle than using the do dad to pick them up from off the flower nail (name escapes me) and allows me to re-position them while I'm adding flowers without squishing. You do have to work quickly as they defrost very quickly.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 1:22am
post #3 of 4

Chocolate buttercream, fer sure! I do chocolate cakes all the time with chocolate buttercream roses. I'd refrigerate them overnight, not freeze them (I freeze my other buttercream flowers) because chocolate can get crumbly if it's too cold. Sheila is right though, work fast!! If they start to thaw before you need them too, pop them back in the frig (or freezer for a little while).

BlueDevil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueDevil Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 3:15am
post #4 of 4

Ladies,

Thank you for the replies. I seem to have better control wit shape with the royal icing, but I can make some chocolate roses with BC, and reserve some of the icing for other colors.

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%