How Do You Conduct Your Cake Tastings?

Business By cakesoncall Updated 27 May 2016 , 5:03pm by Cakesbylea

Cinnamongirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cinnamongirl Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 1:52pm
post #61 of 92

Indydebi,

Great idea!! I've bookmarked your post as an idea for when I setup my own portfolio!!

nicegirl22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicegirl22 Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 8:06pm
post #62 of 92

wow thank you so much for all the info, you have no idea how helpful this has been for me.. Thanks!!

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 3:19am
post #63 of 92

bumping up for a new member who needed some ideas! thumbs_up.gif

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 1:01pm
post #64 of 92

Thanks for bringing it back up! It is an oldie but goodie!

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 1:37pm
post #65 of 92

This is a great post. Full of great information.

* I email/call the client 4 days before the consultation just as a friendly reminder and to make sure they have directions etc. Also to make sure of a count of people coming. I work out of my home and most my consultations are done at my kitchen table.

* 2 days before I make the samples and frosting. I do the same with the wedding cake. Just in case something happens, I'll still have time to re-bake. I do this, like other posts, so the couple knows exactly how their cake will taste on the day of their wedding.

* Day of the consultation, I put out plates of samples and plates to eat off of. I also provide water. I think that tasting lots of sugary things makes it all taste the same after a while. So a little water helps to cleanse. I don't want all my samples to taste the same.

* I will take down notes about the wedding and what kind of cake they are looking for. I usually do most the talking as they are eating. I'll show my portfolio and make suggestions for designs. We'll flip through books etc.

* I never pressure a couple to pay for a deposit right then and there. I tell them to take their time on make a decision and to shop around. But I let them know my strong points and how I started doing this. I also say that I'll send out a quote within the next 2 weeks. I always get flustered doing math in front of people. icon_redface.gif Plus this gives them 2 weeks to decide and think about things.

* I will walk them to the door, thank them for taking the time to come and see me and let them know I will be in touch with them.

I only do consultations on Friday or Saturday nights. I have 2 small children and want them to be in bed before anyone comes over. I find clients like coming over later because they can come home from work, get dinner, then head for some cake samples later.

hwhite0131 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hwhite0131 Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 4:38pm
post #66 of 92

Thank you for bumping this up and WOW!!! thank you for the very useful information!! thumbs_up.gif

Heather

antonia74 Posted 9 May 2008 , 1:04am
post #67 of 92

bumping up! icon_smile.gif

luvcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvcakez Posted 9 May 2008 , 9:37pm
post #68 of 92

Cake Central members rock! Thanks for all the info. Thank you much Antonia for bumping this up for newbies like me. From 2006 to 2008, still helpful.

trulyscrumptious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trulyscrumptious Posted 12 May 2008 , 3:49am
post #69 of 92

Thank you so much for bumping this up ya'll! I never saw this the first time around and I have my first wedding consult tomrrow night -and frankly I was freaking out! Now that I 've read through all of this I'm feeling much calmer. You guys are great! I was feeling sooo pressured to set a price per slice before I even know what she is looking for, now I know I can take some time to write up a full pricing and sketch package! dunce.gif

Has anyone thought of compiling all of this fantastic into a article for CC so it's a quick find? thumbs_up.gif

~Truly

kramzc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kramzc Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 9:31pm
post #70 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonia74

I can't share my actual cake recipes I'm afraid. I made a deal with my partner that any of her/our cake recipes would not be published if I used this chat group. Sorry...I have to keep that promise. icon_wink.gif

But...my icing is all based with Martha Stewart's Italian Meringue Buttercream, then these are added:

mocha chocolate - add 1/2 cup of very dark Dutch cocoa, 6 oz of unsweetened chocolate + 2 Tablespoons of coffee crystals dissolved in just enough hot water to make a thin paste

madagascar vanilla - different from the flowery Tahitian style vanilla, smoother and deeper scent, I add 1 T per recipe (I use the Nielsen-Massey brand. Truly $$$, but come on...it's only a tablespoon! The wedding cake is hundreds of dollars.)

fresh lemon - simple! get a very fine kitchen rasp and grate 2 washed and dried lemons into the buttercream, I use 3 or 4 drops of the Boyajian brand lemon oil as well

cream cheese frosting - any regular recipe + 1/3 cup of full-fat sour cream and the zest from one orange

walnut - toast about 2/3 cup of walnuts in the oven until you can smell them (about 8 min at 350), cool and chop by hand as small as you can get the pieces (or food processor for about 10 seconds), mix into buttercream

Where did u learn your topsy turvy and smooth b/c technique?
What type of cake turntable do u use for the tiered cakes?

Enjoy your posts informative

K

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 2:02am
post #71 of 92

great ideas for wedding cake consults-thanks!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 18 Jan 2012 , 10:34pm
post #72 of 92

I hope this thread didn't die out -- has anyone tried these techniques and how did they work for you?

Srkstrickland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Srkstrickland Posted 10 Nov 2012 , 1:45pm
post #73 of 92

AThank you so much for this! Great information :)

Original message sent by antonia74

I'll share mine here if you'd like...

-I book off one Sunday (or two if I'm not booked for weddings!) per month to hold the consultations throughout the day

-I make a timetable from 10am to 7pm and fill it in with appointments each hour

-one week before the appointment dates, I email the client to re-confirm their scheduled time/give them driving directions and tell them what to bring to the appointment (i.e. fabric swatches, invites, photos from magazines, photos off my website they liked)

-the night before/morning of the consultations, I bake all my samples fresh and ice them only that day. I want the client to taste exactly how fresh their wedding cake will be, so I NEVER freeze samples!

-I greet each couple personally and sit across from them in my studio

-I introduce myself and tell them a bit about my experience, my style and how long I've been doing this (always a question because I look about 25, but I'm 32!)

-I then ask them to tell me about their wedding/theme/feel of the day/colours/flowers/guest count and I write EVERTHING down

-I ask if they want their cake to feed everyone a main dessert slice, or is it to be on a buffet table later in the evening after the meal? (great for guessing sizes/numbers they'll need)

-they show me the materials they have brought and for each item I ask what it is that they like/dislike about it (this is the BEST question, you learn so much quickly!)

-I then show examples from my portfolio of cakes that seem similar to what they are asking for and see what sketch we can come up with on the spot. I personalize their cake to exactly what colours/design/feel they are going for.

-when that is roughly decided, I bring out the freshly-baked cupcake samples with big swirls of matching buttercream on top (which are the 5 main cake flavours that I offer) though I tell them everything is personalized, so if they can think it up...I can probably make it! I do leave the room at this point so they can honestly and privately say which ones they like/don't like to each other.

(I go to my kitchen where I pack a little box of samples and wait for 5 minutes for them to eat privately.)

-after about 5 minutes, I return and they have usually chosen a flavour or flavours.

-I give them a little box of extra cupcake samples to take home to let other friends/family try it out. THEY OOOOH AND AHHHH at this every time! It costs about $2 to give them 5 extra samples packaged in a gorgeous little box, tied with a ribbon with my business card on top...and it really makes the sale!

-I always walk them to my door and shake their hands again, letting them know it was nice to have finally met them face to face and that I will email them their information package within the next 2 weeks (IF YOU SAY 2 WEEKS...THEN MAKE SURE YOU ONLY TAKE 2 WEEKS!!! THIS IS YOUR FIRST PROMISE AND YOU ARE JUDGED ON WHETHER OR NOT YOU MEET YOUR DEADLINE!!!!)

-within 10 days/2 weeks, I type up their cake quote with a great colour sketch and email it to them. They either send their deposit cheque to confirm their booking, or pass. I'd say my ratio of booking to not booking is about 12:1 and I credit it to the little things like private consultations, fresh big samples, beautiful boxes of yummy cupcakes to take home and a fun sketch of their potential wedding cake.

[IMG]/img/vbsmilies/smilies/thumbs_up.gif[/IMG][IMG]/img/vbsmilies/smilies/thumbs_up.gif[/IMG][IMG]/img/vbsmilies/smilies/thumbs_up.gif[/IMG]

themasterstouch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
themasterstouch Posted 16 Jan 2013 , 4:36am
post #74 of 92

Thank you for this reply. This is awesome!

BahaQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BahaQueen Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 3:53pm
post #75 of 92

Quote:

I'll share mine here if you'd like...

-I book off one Sunday (or two if I'm not booked for weddings!) per month to hold the consultations throughout the day

-I make a timetable from 10am to 7pm and fill it in with appointments each hour

-one week before the appointment dates, I email the client to re-confirm their scheduled time/give them driving directions and tell them what to bring to the appointment (i.e. fabric swatches, invites, photos from magazines, photos off my website they liked)

-the night before/morning of the consultations, I bake all my samples fresh and ice them only that day. I want the client to taste exactly how fresh their wedding cake will be, so I NEVER freeze samples!

-I greet each couple personally and sit across from them in my studio

-I introduce myself and tell them a bit about my experience, my style and how long I've been doing this (always a question because I look about 25, but I'm 32!)

-I then ask them to tell me about their wedding/theme/feel of the day/colours/flowers/guest count and I write EVERTHING down

-I ask if they want their cake to feed everyone a main dessert slice, or is it to be on a buffet table later in the evening after the meal? (great for guessing sizes/numbers they'll need)

-they show me the materials they have brought and for each item I ask what it is that they like/dislike about it (this is the BEST question, you learn so much quickly!)

-I then show examples from my portfolio of cakes that seem similar to what they are asking for and see what sketch we can come up with on the spot. I personalize their cake to exactly what colours/design/feel they are going for.

-when that is roughly decided, I bring out the freshly-baked cupcake samples with big swirls of matching buttercream on top (which are the 5 main cake flavours that I offer) though I tell them everything is personalized, so if they can think it up...I can probably make it! I do leave the room at this point so they can honestly and privately say which ones they like/don't like to each other.

(I go to my kitchen where I pack a little box of samples and wait for 5 minutes for them to eat privately.)

-after about 5 minutes, I return and they have usually chosen a flavour or flavours.

-I give them a little box of extra cupcake samples to take home to let other friends/family try it out. THEY OOOOH AND AHHHH at this every time! It costs about $2 to give them 5 extra samples packaged in a gorgeous little box, tied with a ribbon with my business card on top...and it really makes the sale!

-I always walk them to my door and shake their hands again, letting them know it was nice to have finally met them face to face and that I will email them their information package within the next 2 weeks (IF YOU SAY 2 WEEKS...THEN MAKE SURE YOU ONLY TAKE 2 WEEKS!!! THIS IS YOUR FIRST PROMISE AND YOU ARE JUDGED ON WHETHER OR NOT YOU MEET YOUR DEADLINE!!!!)

-within 10 days/2 weeks, I type up their cake quote with a great colour sketch and email it to them. They either send their deposit cheque to confirm their booking, or pass. I'd say my ratio of booking to not booking is about 12:1 and I credit it to the little things like private consultations, fresh big samples, beautiful boxes of yummy cupcakes to take home and a fun sketch of their potential wedding cake.

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

=======================

I thank you for this invaluable information!

BahaQueen Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 4:34pm
post #76 of 92

Quote:

Originally Posted by indydebi 

You can get lots of photos from the same cake, too. Take a picture of each stage. You'll be amazed on how it looks like different cakes. Plus you can show the bride a simple cake and show her how she can take a basic cake and add designs to enhance the look.

Take a picture of it just iced and bordered. Then add some side decor (like scrolls or something). Then add flowers. Take a pic of each one.

This will help you get lots of pics without have to do lots of cakes.

OMG Ms. Indydebi I never considered that!  HUGSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!, from someone who is full throttle in trying to build a portfolio....GRATITUDE!!!!!!!

BahaQueen Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 4:40pm
post #77 of 92

Quote:

Originally Posted by momsandraven 

Hi Gingerela!
Congratulations on your upcoming tasting! I thought I'd chime in here with my thoughts on your questions, based on what I do with my tasting customers.

**Do you serve any beverages with the samples?
I make sure to have a tea kettle of hot water ready to go, and offer my guests decaf coffee, tea, milk or water. Most take nothing or water, but I personally can't fathom eating cake without milk, so I always offer!

**Should I set the table with a table cloth and napkins, etc.?
Definitely! You want them to see that you are classy, and that you take their visit seriously. They are getting ready to spend quite a bit of money with you, and want to feel pampered, imo.

As far as cake photos vs. dummies, I'd do both. Dummies give people a great sense of what size product they are ordering. I recently had a dummy that I was redoing. I took a pic of it before I redid anything. Then I iced it in plain smooth white and let that set. Wrapped some gold ribbon around the layers, laid on some artificial grapes, snapped a pic. Took the ribbon and grapes off, and replaced the gold ribbon w/navy blue snowflake ribbon. New topper placed on top, and snapped another pic (in less than 20 minutes from the last one!) I ended up with three photos for my album in less than an hour. (You can see the pics in my gallery, they look quite different!) You definitely want to start building a photo album, that's one thing nearly every one of my customers wants to see the first time they order with me.

Good luck!!

OMG @momsandraven so incredibly glad you CHIMED in on this...gratitude!!!!!:judge:

BahaQueen Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 4:48pm
post #78 of 92

Quote:

bumping up! icon_smile.gif

==========

Fall 2013 still helpful.

Kldesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kldesserts Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 11:34pm
post #79 of 92

AVery helpful ladies:smile:

nancylee61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancylee61 Posted 29 Jan 2014 , 11:34am
post #80 of 92

A-when that is roughly decided, I bring out the freshly-baked cupcake samples with big swirls of matching buttercream on top (which are the 5 main cake flavours that I offer) though I tell them everything is personalized, so if they can think it up...I can probably make it! I do leave the room at this point so they can honestly and privately say which ones they like/don't like to each other.

I get confused about this. If I offer 4 or 5 main cakes, and 4 or 5 main fillings and 4 or 5 main icings, and made 5 cupcakes, how could they taste each cake with the different fillings and icings? I assume you out your most popular combos together? Can they mix and match anyway? This sounds so much more practical than 5 cakes and 5 fillings and 5 icings on a plate or in a box but do they get to try all your differe combos? Thank you! Nancy

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 29 Jan 2014 , 2:07pm
post #81 of 92

I go fancy on tastings. I want them have a memorable experience so I set the table with my crystal, linens, nice plates, the whole mile. Everyone oohs and ahhs when they walk in and see it, they take pictures, it's a part of the whole wedding experience to them. I have 8 balls of different buttercreams/fillings in 2 rows across the top of the plate (just use a small cookie scoop to get a pretty little ball) and 5 squares of different cake flavors in 2 rows across the bottom of the plate. They can mix and match. I also have a template of their plate with the names/flavors printed out beside their plates with a pen so they can make notes. I have a pitcher of ice water on the table for them to refill their glasses. I stay the whole time, and get additional details of the wedding, engagement, just getting to know them better. I only have room for 4 and I make that clear before they schedule their appointment and I go through all the important details while they're tasting to keep things moving along and on track. I have my dummies set up and I also have additional styrofoam rounds so we can put together the size/shape of the cake the are thinking about to give them an idea of what to expect. I have them on my counter top across from my table. I have my laptop on the table with a slideshow of my website going also.

There are a bunch of different ways to handle tastings, this is just how I decided to do mine! :smile:Don't stress, just be yourself and have all your paperwork and what you want to go over with them printed out and prepared. Be professional and friendly, but remember, you are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you. If you get a bad or weird feeling, you don't have to work with them either! Good luck!

cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 29 Jan 2014 , 2:15pm
post #82 of 92

ASixinarow that sounds so fabulous, I could just picture it. I love how you let them choose what flavours to mix and match, I can't imagine anyone coming for a tasting with you and NOT booking!

nancylee61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancylee61 Posted 29 Jan 2014 , 2:21pm
post #83 of 92

AThat sounds great! Thank you for those details. This on is on the go, I'm dropping off the cake, etc, but I'll do what you did in the box. Thank you! Nancy

sixinarow Posted 29 Jan 2014 , 2:24pm
post #84 of 92

Aw, thank you cakealicious! It's given me a really good booking percentage, so I'm sticking to it! :wink: I like to host things anyway, so it's fun for me and I think it makes it memorable for the brides and their family/friends too. Even if they would choose to go with someone else, they'll still have a good memory of the tasting at my home.

A pretty tasting box would make a great visual impact too, Nancy. People eat with their eyes first, so if it's pretty and packaged professionally, it just sets the experience up in a good light before they even taste anything. Good Luck!

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 30 Jan 2014 , 12:27am
post #85 of 92

Wow, amazingly I conducted my tastings in a VERY similar way to Antonia!

But, I baked 8-inch cakes that were torted, filled, and frosted, so they can see how beautiful each piece of their wedding cake will be.  I just love the way a cake slice looks with 4 layers of cake and 3 layers of filling, especially if there is a beautiful pink raspberry filling in a light yellow lemon cake! I made 3 flavors, always a vanilla cake with fruit filling, always a chocolate flavor of some kind, and then usually something seasonal, all with my vanilla IMBC frosting. I served them one wedding cake sized slice of each, and box up another slice of each with a bow and logo sticker on the box. It looked very professional! Also I included plastic forks with the to go box in case they wanted to eat them in the car.

I would also set aside an entire day for tastings and book them back to back to back with 15 minutes in between to reset and clean up. I would also make tea and coffee to serve with the cake, I shared my kitchen with a caterer so I had a nice selection of tea pots and a percolator.

I really felt like the most important thing I did was box up more slices for them to take home. I closed about 90% of my tastings too, I attribute that to the take home box!

Two or three more notes... I would slice the cake just before serving it and I would place a little square of waxed paper, like the deli squares on the sides of the cakes in the box so it wouldn't dry out. I made sure my cake was room temp before serving it too.

Of course, if your cake is bad and your portfolio is poor then sending home extra samples won't matter.

Good luck with your tastings, and yes it is very awkward watching people eat your cake, leave the room for sure!

sixinarow Posted 5 Feb 2014 , 11:38pm
post #86 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeanneW 

I served them one wedding cake sized slice of each, and box up another slice of each with a bow and logo sticker on the box. It looked very professional! Also I included plastic forks with the to go box in case they wanted to eat them in the car.

It sounds so pretty! I need to get some logo stickers made. :)

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 7 Feb 2014 , 7:07pm
post #87 of 92

Quote:

I also give the kitchen complete written diagrams and information about the ingredients used (waiters are often asked regarding alllergies).

What a great idea! As a person with diet restrictions myself I just don't eat cake unless I made it myself, but I love the idea of giving the caterer/banquet manager an ingredient list!

Cake Addit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake Addit Posted 13 Feb 2014 , 10:34pm
post #88 of 92

wow, thank you so much. always wondered how to go about it.

thanks again

Leigh1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leigh1127 Posted 24 Mar 2016 , 5:55am
post #89 of 92

Antonia74, Hi I have been looking through the treads and I have been following them..  I was looking at your post and was trying to find your templates to use and can't find them. You are so awesome.. I am opening at bakery at home. I am practicing and buying all the items that I need in the meantime and also I am trying to remodel my house.  I have my name for the business, my license, and my food handlers permits. Also, working on a website as we speak, but don't know when it will be ready since I am going slow with it because of the house work. I just want everything already done before I open that way I don't have to worry about anything.  Is there a way for me to get the templates? Thanks so much.

Leigh

antonia74 Posted 25 Mar 2016 , 12:29am
post #90 of 92

Hi Leigh!

Holy cow....it's been about 10 years since my reply on this thread. I read a little of it, but not sure what "templates" I was referring to? Cake designs? Can you help me out so I don't have to read it all through? :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%