What Is 6X Powdered Sugar???

Decorating By rlsaxe Updated 3 Mar 2007 , 7:32pm by rlsaxe

rlsaxe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlsaxe Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 9:27pm
post #1 of 15

I just saw a recipe that I want to try, but it calls for powdered sugar that is 6X. I check in my local grocery store and only saw 10X. Can someone tell me what 6X is and where I can find it?
Thanks!

14 replies
SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 10:38pm
post #2 of 15

I think they are talking about the finest of the sugar! Sorry I can't help but I can bump you to the top

crumbscakeartistry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbscakeartistry Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 10:45pm
post #3 of 15

It mean how many times the sugar has been sifted. My Wilton teacher taught us that in class 1.

Love2Create Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Love2Create Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 10:46pm
post #4 of 15

From what I learned in the Wilton classes, the 10X means the sugar was sifted 10 times. I've never heard of 6X, I'm pretty sure you'll be o.k. with the regular 10x conf. sugar.

SSCakeman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SSCakeman Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 10:52pm
post #5 of 15

6X is describing the partical size of the sugar. 6X sugar is primarly used for making icing. It is finer than the sugar you buy in the grocey store but not as fine as 10x. 10x sugar contains more cornstarch to help the sugar from sticking to itself. Thus some would say that your icing would be less sweet with the 10x due to more cornstarch. I use 6x because it is my personal preference. I've done a lot of tastings and just switching 6x for 10x isn't that noticable, but when you add more commercial ingredeints like Hi Ratio Shortning. It makes a huge difference in the sugar you choose then. The difference is night and day..

rlsaxe Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 12:53am
post #6 of 15

Thanks so much for everyone's answers. So, my next question is "where do I GET this 6X powdered sugar?" The only thing I've seen at the grocery store is the 10X, and the recipe I want to try demands the 6X. Anyone know?

SSCakeman Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 3:13pm
post #7 of 15

6x is commercial grade. You can buy it at some sam's clubs, GFS (gordon food services), Bakemark, and other bakery supply places. Where are you located?

FaithsPlace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FaithsPlace Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 3:19pm
post #8 of 15

I am located in centeral Illinois, any idea of where I can find 6x ps? I too, have only heard of the 10x...Thanks!!

SSCakeman Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 3:24pm
post #9 of 15
SSCakeman Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 3:26pm
post #10 of 15

They sell them in 25lb boxes for about $14.

kbrown99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbrown99 Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 3:28pm
post #11 of 15

So does that mean it's between "super fine" (or caster sugar) and the regular powdered sugar or is it the super fine sugar? I've heard you can make the super fine sugar by pulsing regular granulated in a food processor (alton brown).

sweetamber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetamber Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 3:35pm
post #12 of 15

Super fine sugar is nothing more than granulated sugar ground more finely. Powdered sugar is a different animal. 10x and 6x refer to the size of the grain- not the number of times it's been sifted and I really wish that the Wilton instructors and others would stop spreading this misinformation! The higher the number, the finer the grind of powdered sugar. Even if it doesn't say on the bag, if you got it at the grocery store, it is most likely 10x. I have used them interchangeably in recipes with not much noticible difference- the 6x is usually used in bakeries because it is cheaper than the 10x. There are more numbers too, but you probably won't encounter them unless you're working in a bakery.

kbrown99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbrown99 Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 3:50pm
post #13 of 15

Thank you for the clarification.

hopesmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hopesmith Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 4:55pm
post #14 of 15

I've seen the 6x at Publix and I think at Walmart before.

rlsaxe Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 7:32pm
post #15 of 15

I'm in NY, so with all this great info, I should be able to locate a bag of 6X at one of the places mentioned. Thanks so much everyone. Really is appreciated.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%