Plaid Frosting

Decorating By baileysue Updated 14 Jan 2006 , 3:35pm by Kitagrl

baileysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baileysue Posted 14 Jan 2006 , 2:53pm
post #1 of 7

I just received a cake order for a 11x15 sheet cake and she wants the design to be plaid going up the sides and over the top of the cake. She seemed to think this would be easy. Has anyone ever done this? I am concerned about the lines being straight.

6 replies
cookieman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieman Posted 14 Jan 2006 , 2:56pm
post #2 of 7

I'm not really sure about this, but the first thing that comes to mind is using the basketweave technique using 2-3 different colors. Keep in mind, I've never tired this!

dolphindreamers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolphindreamers Posted 14 Jan 2006 , 2:57pm
post #3 of 7

You could do it fairly easy with an air brush. Never did it any other way. Do you have access to one?

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 14 Jan 2006 , 3:00pm
post #4 of 7

You could take a piece of paper to guide your lines....just lay it over the cake and slide it down. Actually if you wanted to, I would think you could buy a piece of cardboard or better yet some sort of plastic mat, and then cut a few thin, varying rectangles in it...then lay them over the cake as templates. It would probably take awhile to make them nice and straight but it would make your cake a breeze.

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 14 Jan 2006 , 3:04pm
post #5 of 7

I just replied to your other post about this. I used MMF to make the straight lines seen in my cake here:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=luv2cake&cat=0&pos=20

It was super easy. By the way, the cake inthe picture is also a 11 X 15.

Good luck!

baileysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baileysue Posted 14 Jan 2006 , 3:30pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for all of your help!! I do have an airbrush so I may try that on some cardboard first. The picture of the plaid cake that luv2cake posted was a big help, thanks so much. I am going shopping, maybe a craft store has a template for plaid, if not I will just practice, practice, practice. icon_biggrin.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 14 Jan 2006 , 3:35pm
post #7 of 7

Yeah maybe in the painting section they have some stencils that would help...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%