Color Flow Question

Decorating By bambuf Updated 2 Mar 2007 , 10:20pm by bambuf

bambuf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bambuf Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 7:32pm
post #1 of 4

Hi there all! I just made my first batch of color flow last night, according to the Wilton Cake Class 2 instructions. It was REALLY stiff. I was hoping to try it out on some sugar cookies, but found it was too stiff to work with. I added water to it to thin out the consistency enough to pipe a couple of cookies, but then it became too stiff to work with. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I did wrong? I have to make some for my class tomorrow and don't want to be embarrassed icon_redface.gif when my color flow is way to stiff to work with! I appreciate any help you can offer!

3 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 7:49pm
post #2 of 4

You won't look stupid when you go to class. I have seen all kinds of color flow and royal icing. It is not very often someone comes in with perfect icing in Lesson 2 of Course 2.

It really shouldn't thicken back up after you thin it down though. So that part has me a bit puzzled.

Angelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angelgirl Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 9:07pm
post #3 of 4

After you thinned it, did you leave it exposed to the air? That can make it get hard. Otherwised, I am confused too. It shouldn't get stiffer after you've thinned it.

bambuf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bambuf Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 10:20pm
post #4 of 4

It thickened inside the disposable decorator bag. Maybe I just a had clump or something stuck in the tip? I was wondering, though, is it common to have to add a considerable amount of water to get a piping consistency with it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%