Questions For Cheesecake Experts

Decorating By washipaper Updated 2 Mar 2007 , 11:34am by darcat

washipaper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
washipaper Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 10:37am
post #1 of 5

I am making a chocolate caramel pecan cheescake as a dessert to be auctioned off tomorrow at a business function. The base layer is vanilla wafer crumbs and margaine. The body has a first layer of caramel topped with toasted pecans. A few questions since I have NO knowledge of how to cook cheesecake. I am going to take the cake I made today and cut it up into pieces as a "sample" for what they are bidding on and make another cheesecake which will give me a chance to try and correct a few things.

1. The springform pan wouldn't pop open. I think the caramel layer had fused the pan closed and I had a really hard time prying it open. I found another recipe on the net that said press the base layer 1 inch going up around the sides. My original recipe didn't call for that which might be the key to keeping the carmel from sticking to the sides of the pan. But are they any other suggestions?

2. My husband didn't think it was very sweet (recipe calls for 1/2 cup sugar) and I thought the "cheese" part was a little more soft than I would have liked. I cooked it at 350 for 45 min and the center was almost set. Is there a way to make it a bit more dense?

TIA - Joan

4 replies
lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 10:45am
post #2 of 5

Can you line the pan with parchment paper so it won't stick??
If you could post the recipe, it might be easier for others to see where the problem might be re sugar and density.

mjjandz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjjandz Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 10:46am
post #3 of 5

I always have my crust go up the sides a bit. I also use a water bath. I cook for mine for about 30 to 45 minutes,but leave in the oven off for up to 6 hours.

how much creamcheese did you use?

KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 11:31am
post #4 of 5

I make specialty cheesecakes for the bakery I work at to the tune of about 25 a week. I make a caramel pecan one but I do not layer the caramel until after I have removed the springform. It runs down the sides and really makes it pretty.

Although I bake mine in a convection oven now, I use to use a regular oven with a temp of 325 for about 55 minutes. Then would crack the door open with a pot holder and leave in the "off" oven for 1 hour.

I put one cup of sugar in my mixture and 1/4 cup in whatever type of crust I'm mixing. When using Nilla Wafers, I line the "whole" cookies around the sides of the pan and gently press them into the crust to hold them in place.

I hope I have been of some help. If you have any further q's please don't hesitate to ask icon_biggrin.gif K'ly

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 11:34am
post #5 of 5

I always run a hot knife around the pan before releasing the ring that prevents the cake from sticking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%