Writing With Gel Filling / Piping Gel

Decorating By Cake_Geek Updated 14 Jan 2006 , 11:56pm by sweetsuccess

Cake_Geek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Geek Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 1:46pm
post #1 of 14

I strained the seeds out of my bought raspberry filling to use as "ketchup" for the burger cake I'm making for my nephew's birthday. I was wondering if it is possible to write with it like piping gel? I was going to write on the board not the cake itself.

13 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 1:48pm
post #2 of 14

as long as it is thick enough, should be easily done. Just need to have the right size tip (#3 or 4 i would think)

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 1:57pm
post #3 of 14

I think it might melt or get runny. I would test it first!

Doug Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 2:01pm
post #4 of 14

if it isn't thick enough....

put jam in small sauce pan and start to simmer it. can reduce it to desired thickness. just remember it will thicken even more as it cools.

if in a rush...
mix a TBS of cornstarch w/ about a 1/4 of water and add to jam. Bring to boil. Will noticeably thicken and will get even thicker on cooling. May get so thick you have to thin with water to get to writing consistency.

Jenn123 Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 2:06pm
post #5 of 14

Wow Doug! You always have well researched answers! icon_smile.gif

Doug Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 2:12pm
post #6 of 14

or is it just plain old being old!?!?!? (the avatar would be more accurate with grey hair!)

Jenn123 Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 2:18pm
post #7 of 14

Well...... Thanks for sharing your old brain with us! HA HA

Cake_Geek Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 4:55pm
post #8 of 14

Thanks a bunch!! I think it is probably thick enough or maybe a hair thinner than piping gel. I'll do some writing when I get home tonight and see how it turns out after a couple hours. If it doesn't work, I have red icing. The gel just looks more like ketchup!!

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 13 Jan 2006 , 2:55am
post #9 of 14

I was making some lemon curd the other day to use as filling on a cake...found myself wondering, too, if I could use it for writing...lol. It does set up, eventually, and is pretty sturdy, but I was too chicken to try it. Please let us know if the strained rasp. jam works out! I'd love to see the results, too. thumbs_up.gif

Doug Posted 13 Jan 2006 , 3:04am
post #10 of 14

it occured to me while driving home today that the jam will dry out after being piped and will be come stiff, if not down-right rubbery...much like those fruit roll-up strips. (after all the roll-ups are nothing more than a jam that's been dehydrated and then cut into strips)

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 13 Jan 2006 , 3:22am
post #11 of 14

But wouldn't that be ok if you're just writing on the board and not the cake? I'm not sure....unless it dries out to the point that it shrinks and/or loses its sheen? hmmmmm....I think I have to try this out..lol icon_lol.gif

Cake_Geek Posted 13 Jan 2006 , 12:31pm
post #12 of 14

I used the rasp filling last night to write on the board and squiggle over the "fries". Take a look in my photos. I imagine it is going to get rubbery and probably ick to try but I don't expect them to eat that part!! I figured it was just better than regular icing or using say real ketchup!!

Doug Posted 13 Jan 2006 , 12:36pm
post #13 of 14

maybe you won't eat it....but I bet the kids will. after all they do love those fruit roll ups.

i think kids are attracted to a food based on its "gross out the adults" factor. the more we are grossed out, the more they like it. icon_confused.gif

sweetsuccess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsuccess Posted 14 Jan 2006 , 11:56pm
post #14 of 14

Never tried it, but I am interested in knowing the outcome.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%