Favor Ideas? Help On Sugar Boxes?

Decorating By PerryStCakes Updated 12 Jan 2006 , 3:38pm by cuillere

PerryStCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PerryStCakes Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 5:21pm
post #1 of 22

I wanted to make the favors for my wedding (since I was banned from doing my own cake by my fiance who wants me stress free on our wedding day). Anyway, to add a personal touch, I was thinking about making those little boxes of sugar I saw on the food network once (I think on Sugar Rush) as my wedding favors (it could say a little something like "made by the bride").

Luckily, I have a book that shows how to make them so I bought some molds and tried it out. They totally fell apart! I blended the caster sugar and water as the book instructed but I think I need to tweek the ratio.... has anyone ever made these sugar boxes? Please advise.

Anyone have any other ideas for favors i can do way in advance....maybe roses made of "chocolate plastic"? How long do those last?

HELP?

XOXOXO
-Perry

21 replies
Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 5:27pm
post #2 of 22

Congrats on your wedding! I've been following your other post about the cake designers. I am totally wowed. Like you said everyone chooses what to splurge on and lucky for you to be in a place with access to such talents.

Anywhoo, for the ?? at hand, didn't someone on the foodnetwork spotlight a cake designer who made those keepsake boxes from gumpaste or fondant? I think they were filled with those coated almonds. I gotta run to stats class but I'll hunt around when I get back and see if I can post some info for you. I think it's cool to make you favors, nice touch! [/code]

PerryStCakes Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 5:30pm
post #3 of 22

Thanks!

I found a link to those sugar boxes - Gail Watson does them:

http://www.gailwatsoncake.com/sugar.html

I would fill them with the usual - almond sugar things, I just want to do a little something personal like make the favors (might even get the groom to help!)

Thank you so much for the well-wishes! I'm very excited!

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 5:36pm
post #4 of 22

Take a look at this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tiffany-Box-Petit-Four-Kit-2-Cake-Decorating_W0QQitemZ4422386948QQcategoryZ79631QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

She was ACD magazine. I just order the kit plus one extra mold for $3. You would have to e-mail if you want extra molds and she puts a bill togethe and sends it to you.

You can bake the cake a month or two ahead of time, cut the shapes and freeze. Make the buttercream a couple weeks a head of time. If you use the accents peices she gives you in the kit you decide in to color the fondant early or make tiny little flowers out of fondant. the kind the come in the wilton gum paste kit or they have another kit to use for small flowers. Make those head of time to the color of your wedding.

Decide to package in clear bags or box, you can put two in a box per person.

Everything is made ahead of time, the only you will need to do is;
let say you are getting married on Saturday you cn start Monday with help from some friends. Make mold, let set. take out of mold. give to next person to a some BC in side, pass to next to put cake in and then back to set with the chocolate on the bottom. Tuesday Put flowers on the next day and package and conitue making more cakes.

Just break it down do not do ALL the cakes in one night you will be tired.

Good luck.

PerryStCakes Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 6:00pm
post #5 of 22

Thank you! I appreciate all the advice I can get!

sofiasmami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sofiasmami Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 6:19pm
post #6 of 22

there is no such thing as an UNSTRESSED bride ... break that news to your fiancee..... if I had your talent I would be stressed about trusting someone else to do the masterpiece...lol

good luck at the wedding!!!

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 6:30pm
post #7 of 22

i've made sugar boxes; i basically followed the instructions that are in the wilton yearbook. i made pink and blue ones for my baby shower then filled them with raspberry truffles. also, have you seen the decorated jordan almonds? i saw them in a bridal magazine when i was getting married and they were going for $1 each! so, i decided to make them myself, they were very easy to do. my color theme for my wedding was pink so i made little pink flowers on the almonds, everyone went nuts over them.

i also made the chocolate dipped spoons, those are really simple and people just love stirring their coffee with them, you can make little royal icing flowers and attach them to the spoon or just drizzle white chocolate over the dark chocolate spoon for some contrast. have you thought about making hand-decorted cookies? i made some for my wedding, i basically made the cookies a couple months in advance and froze them naked. then, a couple weeks before the wedding i decorated them. it depends on the design you choose but these could be decorated all in one day. wrap them in cello bags and tie with a satin ribbon. i sell hand-decorated cookie and people are always so impressed with them. for my wedding i did pink gerber daisies. alot of brides love the "wedding dress" and "tuxuedo" heart cookie that i offer, and to tell you the truth, those are so easy to make! another special touch you can add is decorated sugar cubes. you basically decoated them the same way you would the jordan almonds, most people have never seen them before and really appreciate the extra touch and class they add to a wedding.

good luck with your wedding!

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 6:38pm
post #8 of 22

I have instructions for this one if your interested. Since they are royal they could be made way in advance.
LL

talking_head Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
talking_head Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 6:39pm
post #9 of 22

its so sweet to make your own favors. rally.. i'd be totally stressed to do anything straight icon_smile.gif
Do post picturs of the sugar boxes and the cake icon_biggrin.gif

cuillere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuillere Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 6:39pm
post #10 of 22

Dailey
Your ideas are incredible, I was wondering if you have a site I would love to see your work. I also saw the gorgeous nut cracker it's out of this world.

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 6:44pm
post #11 of 22

Decorated gingerbread cookies last 2 to 3 weeks wrapped. I did every guest's name on a cookie for my wedding and it was a huge hit...some people even ate them at the reception. Guess I didn't feed them fast enough...jeez!! hahaha icon_lol.gif

I used them instead of placecards on their tables.

Here is a photo shoot I did of my cookies for a bridal magazine, it shows what I mean:
LL

PerryStCakes Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 8:57pm
post #12 of 22

Wow - these are great ideas!!!

sofiasmami - thank you icon_smile.gif

dailey - great ideas! What Wilton Yearbook (what year?)

NEWTODECORATING - wow! are those solid eggs? I'd love the instructions!

talking_head- i will totally post pics!

antonia74- you are AMAZING! I dont think I can do all of that (we are having 250 people - 20 of whom I know, lol!)

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 8:59pm
post #13 of 22

The basket is royal and the eggs are Jordan almonds I think.

PerryStCakes Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 9:02pm
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTODECORATING

The basket is royal and the eggs are Jordan almonds I think.

That is SO SMART! It never even occured to me to do this out of royal!!!!

Thank you so much - this site is really a wealth of knowledge!

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 12:38am
post #15 of 22

cuillere, thanks so much! i don't have a website, yet. maybe if i can figure out how to attach a picture to this thread i can show you the sugar boxes, almonds,etc.

perrystcakes,
its the 2002 wilton yearbook but if i'm not mistaken i believe all the year books have instructions for making sugar molds.

tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 1:13am
post #16 of 22

Take a look at these boxes by Earlene..wow!

http://www.earlenescakes.com/sweet_little_boxes.htm

mjsparkles2001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjsparkles2001 Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 1:15am
post #17 of 22

wow ... those are amazing.

tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 1:17am
post #18 of 22

Just a thought, you could also do molded chocolate/candy melt boxes, they might even be faster than the sugar ones. You could do them in your wedding colours and still fill them with goodies.

talking_head Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
talking_head Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 2:30pm
post #19 of 22

antonia74 - Those look fantastic! What a cool idea. You must be super-woman to do that at your wedding!!

sofiasmami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sofiasmami Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 3:25pm
post #20 of 22

antonia74 -- I think I'm going to start your fan club!! I love your cookies .. I'm planning my son's birthday party next week and I thought of making cookies ... since the party is chicken little I thought it would be too complicated ... but making cookies with each kid's name in the chicken little colors would be sooo cute

PerryStCakes Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 3:32pm
post #21 of 22

Earlene is RIDICULOUSLY GOOD! I mean - sheeeeesh! Those boxes are OUTRAGOUS!

I would charge $30 a box if I could make those. LOL. But I can't. icon_smile.gif

cuillere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuillere Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 3:38pm
post #22 of 22

Actually if I could make those boxes I'll simply put them in a museum lol, what a great idea. I think we can use fondant: cover a tiny box let it dry and you have a sugar box, then pipe and decorated the box. That sounds too easy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%