Tiered Cakes-The Dreaded Soggy Board- Is Contact Paper Safe?

Decorating By elvis Updated 2 Mar 2007 , 7:49am by RisqueBusiness

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 9:08pm
post #1 of 21

I want to offer more tiered cakes. The few that I've done, I haven't wrapped my cake boards--just did a simple dowel beneath uncovered board.

I've read lately that this is dangerous b/c boards get soggy. I don't want to invest in the plastic boards--so, is contact paper really safe to use? Do enough people do this that I shouldn't worry?

I've been afraid to cover with anything else for fear that they'll get a piece of foil or even worse-TAPE in their cake!! Your advice please!!

20 replies
jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 9:10pm
post #2 of 21

hmmmm? I would also like to know the answer to this!

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 9:11pm
post #3 of 21

Technically, contact paper is not food safe. BUT I know lots of people use it anyway without any problem. I'd say it's up to you, if you want to take the risk, however small it might be.

cakerunner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerunner Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 9:12pm
post #4 of 21

I use freezer paper.

mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 9:16pm
post #5 of 21

I use wax paper.

elvis Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 9:17pm
post #6 of 21

With freezer paper, do you tape it in a certain way so that the tape isn't touching the frosting? I'd worry about it becoming unsticky and winding up on somebody's fork.

Maybe I'm paranoid icon_rolleyes.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 9:17pm
post #7 of 21

I e-mailed the people who make Contac paper. Their response was that the clear stuff is OK for short term food contact.

My solution (from Colette Peters) to this problem is to use foamcore (3/16th inch) cake boards. Neither the paper surface or the center get soggy and they provide wonderful support. Sharpened dowels go through them easily but the holes don't expand, so the board sort of grips the dowel. I cut the boards with a hot craft knife.

Rae

jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 9:19pm
post #8 of 21

where can i find the foamcore and how much are they?

amberhoney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberhoney Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 9:21pm
post #9 of 21

i think what ou are talking about is something we call coverseal in new
zealand, sticky backed plastic...i use it for all of my boards. always have done with no problems.

Mickig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickig Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 9:22pm
post #10 of 21

I use Glad Press N Seal. Works great.

Mickig icon_smile.gif

dadams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dadams Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 9:22pm
post #11 of 21

dont know if contact paper is good

I have not done a stacked cake
but have been looking into how it is done

some people say they put wax paper between the cake board
and cake
that doing this makes it easier to cut the bottom cake
just take off the top cake w/ board and then peel off the wax paper

cakerunner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerunner Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 9:24pm
post #12 of 21

doublesided tape, never had a problem, but you could use the press and seal plastic wrap!

BlakesCakes Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 9:24pm
post #13 of 21

I get foamcore at JoAnn's or Michael's. A 20x30 inch board runs about $1.00 on sale. You can get 6 10 inch cake boards out of that, so they're very cheap.

Rae

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 9:46pm
post #14 of 21

This is an interesting thread for me! I've never made a stacked cake with just cardboard between it. I always use the plastic plates. Interesting options! icon_smile.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 12:29am
post #15 of 21

I don't like using the plastic plates either for a stacked cake. I like to hide the board easily and not have to worry about getting all the pieces back. I always wrap my boards in wilton fanci-foil and on the bottom I tape a piece of wax paper to it Before I wrap in fanci-foil. I have never had a problem with any paper coming off. but I only use a crusting buttercream or fondant. No problems here.

HTH

Kyleen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kyleen Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 12:52am
post #16 of 21

On small stacked cakes, I use card board cake circles sprayed with craft adhesive and covered with decorative floral foil. For large, heavy cakes and European style column cakes I use foam core board. Yes, foam core cost more, but it is worth it if you really don't want to risk sagging or falling cake. I buy from logicpic. Collette Peters suggested it in one of her books. They have a full line of support systems. icon_biggrin.gif http://www.logicpic.com/index.htm

mkorbal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkorbal Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 12:54am
post #17 of 21

I just had the food safety inspector at my house last week (so I could get my license!!!) and I actually ask him this question, since I always use contact paper. And he said it is perfectly fine!

elvis Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 12:57am
post #18 of 21

Thanks for all of the great suggestions! That's good to know mkorbal- thumbs_up.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 2:38am
post #19 of 21

Please let me reiterate that the people who actually manufacture Contac paper told me that clear or white is OK for short term food contact.

Patterned Contac paper IS NOT OK FOR FOOD CONTACT BECAUSE THE DYES USED TO MAKE THE PATTERNS CONTAIN CHEMICALS AND/OR OTHER SUBSTANCES THAT COULD LEACH INTO THE FOOD.

Rae

designsbydelights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
designsbydelights Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 7:31am
post #20 of 21

I have used florist cellophane for many years (the kind you see Easter baskets wrapped up in) and the labels on the roll say approved for food products. The brand is "clearphane" and it comes in any color you might imagine. I buy it at the wholesale florist supplier, it comes in 100 foot rolls in 20 and 30 inch widths. Works great. I just wrap the cakeboards like you would a present.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 7:49am
post #21 of 21

what about using the good ole cake drums at the bottom? you can still use the cardboards between your cakes especially if you stack them...just use the English drums.

They come in Silver and Gold..and if I'd like to match them to the cakes, I can use my icing to cover the boards, scrape the edges and glue some pretty ribbon around the sides.

If you use any paper that is not considered "food" safe, just place a layer between it and your cake....in other words...you can use contact paper, gift wrap...newspaper..anything you'd like...under your cake you would place a cake board and with some hot glue all over the area where the cake goes and place your cake on top...

this way your cake is not touching the " TOXIC PAPER" that will leach into your cake and KILL all that eat it..lol

I'm sure if you just use a bit of common sense and a little precaution, you will not have problems with whatever you decide to use!

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%