Really Need Help - Not About Cakes, Sorry So Long

Lounge By megankennedy Updated 2 Mar 2007 , 6:44pm by megankennedy

megankennedy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megankennedy Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 13

Hi guys, I have been having some pain problems lately and I really just need someone to help me, it's a shame that it is so hard to be able to talk to a health professional. And the internet is limited in that you can only read and interpret for your self. So anyway, I am breastfeeding my 8 mo daughter and have been having extreme pain the past week or so. She had thrush a while ago (yeast infection) and we were treated with a cream on me and drop in the mouth for her, but this time she does not have any symptoms. My nipples are cracked and red, sometimes swollen. It hurts to go out in the cold and I feel deep sharp pains in my chest and over onto the other breast when I am and when I'm not feeding her. this whole experience has been a roller coaster for me, it's fine and painless for a while and then it keeps coming back! I'm inclined to wean her, but she refuses to take a bottle, even when I am away for hours!

In addition to that, unrelated though, she was born by c section and since healing, something just feels "wrong" in my stomach area. Sometimes if I roll over, or am in a certain position in bed I can feel what seems to be my ribs, rubbing up against something. It's not really painful, but definitely feels like it shouldn't be hapenning. Just wondering if anybody else has had the experience as well.

12 replies
megankennedy Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 5:04pm
post #2 of 13

I'm so sorry, I forgot to say thank you for anyone who is able to help/support. I didn't know of anywhere else to get answers from people who will actually respond. CC is an awesome place! icon_biggrin.gif

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 13

I would recommend contacting La Leche League.
http://www.lalecheleague.org/resources.html?m=0

Lanolin cream after feeding should help.
http://mommysthinkin.com/lansinoh_lanolin_cream.htm

Having the wetness there can irritate! If you use pads, keep them dry and change them often. With washable pads, if you go that route, make sure to use a non-irritating detergent, like Dreft. Tide is the WORST for causing irritation.

As for the C-section, have you talked to your doc about that? How long ago was she born? It takes a while for your body to get everything back in place, but continued problems would warrant an ultrasound to determine if everything is okay.

Feel free to send a PM if you want to talk indepth. I've had 2 c-sections and breastfed both of them. Oh, one more thing! How is your milk supply? If it's low she may suck harder and longer than normal to try to get more, which can cause troubles. I took Fenugreek, from nutrition stores. 3 capsules 2-3 times a day to increase, then lower it to keep a good supply. You will smell like maple syrup when it's in good supply.

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 5:29pm
post #4 of 13

Get some lanolin to help heal your nipples. I'm sorry, I can't remember the brand name, but look for the one endorsed by La Leche. My nipple used to get so cracked I would cry when I nursed my son. He tended to pull and turn his headed when he was latched on, which did plenty of damage to me!!
I'm sorry I can't be more help, but you should definitely talk to your doctor about the discomfort in your abdomen.
Good luck, and hang in there! It will get better.

alip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alip Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 5:52pm
post #5 of 13

Sorry to hear you're in pain! I would definitely recommend you see a doctor or lactation consultant about the pain you are having in your breast. It's possible that you have a breast infection or a yeast infection on your breast. Both would be treated with antibiotics. I breastfed my son for a year and am currently breastfeeding my 10 month old daughter. I had a breast infection with my son and it was very painful. If you don't feel comfortable talking to your doctor I would say you get in touch with a lactation consultant or La Leche League. They would be able to give you more information and refer you to a breastfeeding friendly doctor if you need to see one. Good luck!

megankennedy Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 6:04pm
post #6 of 13

thsnks guys, i left messages with both a local la leche person and my dr. i amhoping they get back to me soon.

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 6:30pm
post #7 of 13

Also use hot packs and cold packs and place them on your chest, they will help with the pain. Also you can take a pain reliever if you need to.
thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif I give you 2 thumbs up for breastfeeding, I also breastfed my son and I was so glad I did, he didn't get an ear infection until he was almost a year old. His pediatrician was so amazed when she had to put him on his first antibiotic.
My son wouldn't take a bottle for anyone either unless he was in a car moving icon_confused.gif The only bottle he finally took without car movement was the playtex bottle with the disposable liners, and it took me at least 6 months for me to find one he liked.

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 6:45pm
post #8 of 13

i breast fed my son for 4 months. i had to have surgery and wasnt able to continue after that. we gave him a bottle that looks like a sippy cup. they are fairly cheap or perhaps you can go ahead and switch to a sippy cup. my ped said by a year they should be off the bottle anyways. my niece was off a bottle by 6 months using the soft spouted sippy's.

rlsaxe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlsaxe Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 6:46pm
post #9 of 13

speaking from personal experience with both thrush and mastitis (having a 6 month old).....you need to go to your doctor again. I went to mine five times in the first two months because of thrush and then mastitus. Also, see if you can talk to a lactation consultant in your area. they were very helpful to me. good luck.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 6:59pm
post #10 of 13

my son use to nurse so much that he fromed huge cysts (sp?) in both of my breasts. So big in fact that I had to go and get checked for breast cancer. Not cancer just huge lumps that formed because of my ever-hungry child! These lumps hurt bad too, he refused to take a bottle and I just dealt with the pain, but I'm not sure I'f I could ever do it again.

My friend had a hard time healing after her C-section and months later found out it was because she is allergic to the threading they use to stich up with.

I hope your doctors can help you, there are so many different reasons this could be happening. I hope you get your answer soon.

navywifetrat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
navywifetrat Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 3:21pm
post #11 of 13

I feel your pain. I had the same problem with my 3rd child. I had no idea that you could get a yeast infection on your breast. This happened about a week after she was born. I was in so much pain that I was ready to give it up and I had successfully nursed my 2nd child for 14 months. It burned and it was worse after she ate and in the cold air. Just made my toes curl every time. After dealing with it for about 2 weeks - I had been to the lactation consultants and everything - I noticed she had white spots in her mouth! I knew exactly what that was. My nipples were never red bu they were a little cracked. We dealt with this for several months. It would go away and come back. I basically continued putting the cream on my nipples several times a day for several months. I also started drinking the yogurt drinks (I hate yogurt so it was very hard for me to do). I did try and stop putting the cream on after the amount of time the doctor suggested but it just kept coming back.

As far as the c-section, I think I would go to the doc about that. I had 2 of my children by c-section and never felt anything like that. I do have some numbing feeling but nothing sharp. I would also request an ultra-sound.

You are more than welcome to PM me if you want to talk more about this.

Ann

koolaidstains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolaidstains Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 3:37pm
post #12 of 13

If you were already diagnosed with a yeast infection, I'd be inclined to say that you haven't gotten rid of it. It can be hard to get rid of it and you can be passing it back and forth forever. I used GSE (grapefruit seed extract) and both me and my baby's mouth when i had it. You get it at a health food store and dilute it with water. I used it well past when things felt better because I know how tough yeasties can be. Eating yogurt or taking acidophilus is great too as a support, but I would count on that along to get rid of anything. It's a great preventitive if it becomes a recurring problem.

I've also had mastitis. I did my best to get plenty of rest and used frozen cabbage leaves on my breasts (I smelled funky). You have to be careful not to leave it on too long or it can depleat your milk supply, but it works wonders.

In any case, it's best to confirm a diagnoses with the doctor before anything gets worse. I have no idea about the c-section, but iif it were me I'd be persistent about getting it checked out. Don't let a DR dismiss you or tell you you need more time to heal. If there is something wrong, you don't want to wait until it becomes a real problem!

megankennedy Posted 2 Mar 2007 , 6:44pm
post #13 of 13

thanks guys, i appreciate the support. the pain is alot less today, and now i'm thinking that its just the infection coming back and going away. i am going to ask my dr. for an ultrasound though. thanks again!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%