Mmf-How Long Will It Keep, And Best Way To Color It?

Decorating By missyb Updated 8 Apr 2005 , 12:41am by missyb

missyb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyb Posted 1 Apr 2005 , 11:11pm
post #1 of 9

I am going to try my first attemp at MMF using a recipe I found here, but it does not say how much this will make, or anything about storage and or if it keeps at all. can someone help? Alos, what is the best way to work with the stuff? I have an idea, but am new to decorating. Tahnks for any help you can offer

8 replies
melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 4 Apr 2005 , 4:13pm
post #2 of 9

I want to second this request! I am making DD's 1st birthday cake in a couple weeks, and it has part fondant/part buttercream, so I thought I'd try this marshmallow fondant and see if it tastes any better.

Melissa icon_smile.gif

abbey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abbey Posted 4 Apr 2005 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 9

I have recently tried the MMF and I love it! It is much better than Wilton fondant. The recipe I used is the one with 16oz. of mini marshmallows and it makes a fairly large amount of fondant. When coloring it I put on my throw away gloves and rub just a tiny amount of shortning on them. Then I stick a toothpick with the color I want in the fondant several different places. I work my fondant like playdough until I achieve the color I want. It does take awhile to get your color smooth and even but if you keep working it gets there. I use a little shortning on my mat when I roll it out as well. I found it stuck slightly when I used corn starch. I put my MMF fondant in the fridge after I was finished and then when I worked with it later I just put it in the microwave for about 15 seconds to soften it up. I haven't kept it for long so I am not sure about how long it will stay good maybe someone else could answer that question I'd like to know as well! Hope that helps.

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 2:55am
post #4 of 9

Thanks! I think I am going to try that for my daughter's birthday cake. Did you find it stiffer in texture than the Wilton's fondant? Was it harder to work with or the same?

Melissa icon_smile.gif

abbey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abbey Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 6:00pm
post #5 of 9

I prefer working with it in comparison to Wilton. If it gets firm after sitting for a little while just pop it in the microwave for a few seconds and it will be more workable

missyb Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 11:37pm
post #6 of 9

Well, i made the cake and still had a good deal left over, so I put it in a ziplock and tossed it in the fridge. I took out what i need later and let it come to room temp before trying to work with it. it had been in the fridge for 4 days and was still good. I am sure this will keep for at least a week or so in the fridge if sealed, cause its basically pure sugar. I mean, marshmellows dont really go "bad" they just dry out, right.

zoozieqv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoozieqv Posted 7 Apr 2005 , 4:13pm
post #7 of 9

Ok, I may be a freak, but I have made the marshmallow fondant and kept it for 2 weeks and longer. It still tastes great to me. I kept it in a ziplock in the pantry and don't have any problems so far. Of course, I don't use a lot of fondant! However, when I have gotten it out to use a little I have to stick it in the microwave for about 5 to 7 seconds to get it workable....but no problems! icon_smile.gif

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 7 Apr 2005 , 4:28pm
post #8 of 9

I don't know why but I keep mine in the fridge. It seems to keep forever!

missyb Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 12:41am
post #9 of 9

Great. i am so glad to know that i am not the only one with fondant hangin around my fridge. It just seemed like such a waste to have to toss it when the recipe makes so much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%