Too Many Questions To List!

Decorating By Jcfuwbs Updated 12 Mar 2007 , 6:45am by Jcfuwbs

Jcfuwbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jcfuwbs Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 10:08am
post #1 of 16

I'm new and this is my first post! I am definatly an ammeture cake baker. I interviewed many bakers in my area and no one had my flair! so... i decided to make my own cake fpr my wedding! My first attempt came out great but i want gold frosting and my frosting came out kind of too orange and i really like the look of the fondant frosting. My wedding is pirate themed but i am just going to do a 3 tier cake and i want it VERY gold and i will add jewels and what not to it. I have a airbrush set (actually 3 brand new ones) and I am handy with an airbrush. but i am at a loss as to how i would achieve a 25karat gold effect on my cake! And i have no idea how to even start with fondant frosting. Any help would be awesome! Thank you so much and I a so excited to find this place!

15 replies
CakeLadyM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeLadyM Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 10:30am
post #2 of 16

First of all, WELCOME TO CAKE CENTRAL!!! party.gifparty.gif

Next, I'm thinking that in order to get the really gold look you're talking about, you might do fondant, and then spray on some gold luster dust.

I've never used an airbrush, so the others here at CC will answer that one, but I do know that the gold luster dust will give a great effect and you can spray it on.

WELCOME!! (to your new addiction!)

-M-

kelly75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelly75 Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 10:52am
post #3 of 16

Hi! I've no personal experience with creating gold effects, but what CakeLadyM said sounds right (you could also try doing a search about creating gold accents, there have been a few posts about this in the past)

Just really wanted to say 'Welcome to Cake Central!' and heed the warning...it really is addictive!!!!

Kelly

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 12:23pm
post #4 of 16

yes welcome welcome welcome...... we are so glad to have you here..... please post your wedding cake..... I would love to see it!

Jcfuwbs Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 12:32pm
post #5 of 16

Thanks so much! i feel so welcome WOW!
I have been on here for hours! I have waaayy to any ideas now and boy am i in trouble! icon_lol.gif
I'm going to buy some of the luster dust and maybe the disco dust and try them out this weekend.
I'm going to try and make some fondant too (wish me luck!)

Now i am thinking of making a pirate ship cake topper out of cake (those pirate ship cakes are way too cute to pass up) I'll post pics of my tester cake as soon as possible!

Thanks so very much!

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 1:08pm
post #6 of 16

for the best gold, use fondant. Color it orange, the paint with a paste made with gold dust and vodka. It needs to be a paste, not runny. see my photos for a very gold cake

gingersoave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersoave Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 1:15pm
post #7 of 16

Welcome to CC, I've been a CC'er for less than a month and I am SO ADDICTED!!!!! You will learn so much on CC it will blow your cake mind! I use luster dust. I have not used gold but I have used silver. Works great!
Again, welcome to the CC family!

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 1:16pm
post #8 of 16

Welcome to CC. I have no experience with an air brush but I've read that colors are much easier to achieve with the brush than by painting. Please post the photo of your cake. Really quite an undertaking to do your own wedding cake and prepare for the wedding itself.

Gale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gale Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 1:22pm
post #9 of 16

Welcome to CC! This site has truly made an addict of me! I have used both the silver and gold luster dust for accents and painting... they work great.

Again welcome!

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 1:45pm
post #10 of 16

Welcome to CC. You can do your own cake, for sure! Just practice until you're confident so that your special day won't be so hectic.

I have used the airbrush with luster dust, and I love the look. Check out my photos for the "Dream Baby" cake. The stars on that one were airbrushed with luster dust. I used Everclear for the liquid. And it has to be VERY thin to go through the brush. You will need to do several light coats to get an even gold color. Be warned! Once the alcohol dries, the dust returns to its original state...dust. It will come off if touched. It will look lovely...but will be easily marred. You'll need to plan your transporting and assembling so that gold won't be harmed.

I believe airbrush is the absolute best way to do luster dust. I've brushed it on with a paintbrush many times, but it's always streaky. It can be buffed on dry with a poofy brush, but I've never gotten the heavy, "solid gold" look with dry brushing.

Also experiment with your fondant color. I got the best end result by going with an "old gold" color underneath. I got this by going golden yellow first (mixture of canary yellow and a little bit of red). Then...dull out the red tone by adding green...tiny bit by tiny bit. You'll end up with a muted, slightly greeny gold. To me, that gives the best base for gold luster finishing. I'm still working on the perfect under color for silver. It's definitely gray...but I haven't found the perfect gray yet.

I love the idea of a pirate ship topper. I encourage you to use gumpaste so you can get the sails very, very thin. It'll be much stronger than fondant, too.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Good luck!

deenise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deenise Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 3:17pm
post #11 of 16

from one newbite to another, welcome! and I think you are way past ammateur status is you're making your own wedding cake.
I am a true ammateur, as I have no suggestions icon_wink.gif
can't wait to see your cakes --good luck!

Jcfuwbs Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 8:50am
post #12 of 16

Here are the photos of the cake i tried this weekend. I did not do the 3rd tier because it was really late and i was REALLY tired. I did not have too many issues with the fondant but it kept folding at the bottom of the cake and i could not get the crease out!
But it was my first try and this is how it went

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q31/jcfuwbs/IMG_1335.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q31/jcfuwbs/IMG_1334.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q31/jcfuwbs/IMG_1333.jpg
ttp://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q31/jcfuwbs/IMG_1331.jpg

The fondant swags I intend to air brush gold (waiting for the luster dust to come in)

scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 9:22am
post #13 of 16

That's looking great! The jewels make it look really "piratey"! Post another pic when it's finished!!

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 2:00pm
post #14 of 16

Wow, definately no amatuer! Great job on the pratice cake...can't wait to see it in all it's glory!! Jen

AuntEm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntEm Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 3:14pm
post #15 of 16

Welcome to Cake Central! The cake looks really nice!
Emily

Jcfuwbs Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 6:45am
post #16 of 16

Thanks! that was the 2nd cake i have ever made! your kind words are so encouraging! hopefully it will turn out just as nice for my wedding! (crosses my fingers)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%