Does The Melvira Method Work For You???????????????

Decorating By sunflowerfreak Updated 3 Mar 2007 , 4:03am by NikkiDoc

sunflowerfreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunflowerfreak Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 2:44am
post #1 of 60

I just can't seem to get the roller to smooth out anything. I waited for the icing to crust and everything. Does it matter which icing recipe you use maybe? I really want this to work. I need my icing to be smoother. Anyone else have a problem?

59 replies
Feefs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Feefs Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 2:45am
post #2 of 60

can't get that method to work for me either - i've tried adapting it different ways but not luck yet -- i either have icing coming off, too hard to roll, just when it is right to roll it leaves "track marks" where the roller ends... must just be me though - everyone else seems to like this technique

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 2:47am
post #3 of 60

I just have been adding a little more milk than the recipe calls for to make it softer...and then using a spackle knife (whatever you call it) around the cake to smooth most of it...and then if I have to, use the Viva paper towel. The spackle knife is my all time favorite icing smoother, I learned about it last year and love it, esp for cake sides!

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 2:47am
post #4 of 60

yes! i use meringue powder in my bc and can roll it almost immediately. i wait no more than 10 minutes. if you chill it in the fridge, that will complicate it...basically you have to let it come to room temp again. sometimes if you wait too long it will crust over too much and it wont really work.

southrnhearts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southrnhearts Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 2:48am
post #5 of 60

nope hon I couldnt get it to work either....went and got the rollers she described and well I got less than perfection so I ditched them

My Vivas and my pampered chef pastry roller work great...notta prob so I am sticking with them

(and I use the 50/50 crusting buttercream recipe)

bbunnychic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbunnychic Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 2:52am
post #6 of 60

i have found wax paper squares do a fine job to smooth out... let the icing sit and crust a little bit put in the fridge if need be, once it hardens over then take the squares place on top and use your finger and rub gently to get it smooth lift the wax paper up and move on to another spot if the icing is starting to lift on the wax paper it can be one of 2 things you are pressing to hard or the icing is soft, which all you need to do is lighten up if you are hard and place in the fridge if it is soft. hope this helps

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 1:38pm
post #7 of 60

It works for everytime I use it! I havent mastered it just yet but it looks alot better than when I didn't use the roller!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 1:49pm
post #8 of 60

It works for me and it's all I use now. I use 50/50 butter and crisco and have never had a problem. You just have to be careful and not use too much pressure on the roller. If you roll too fast it leaves the track marks you are referring to. Light pressure and slow seems to be the key.

thems_my_kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thems_my_kids Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 1:49pm
post #9 of 60

It works pretty good for me. I need to get a high density roller like she suggested, I just have a yellow one from WalMart. But yeah, I do get track marks from the end of the roller like someone else said sometimes. I'll look for a longer one when I get a chance.

gilpnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilpnh Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 1:54pm
post #10 of 60

I went to Home Depot and got the high Density rollers and LOVE it, you can't let it sit to long to crust. My icing is so much smoother, I use my 6 inch the most, mainly becuase it is tapered on the end and does not leave the track marks. I'm sold!!

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 1:54pm
post #11 of 60

I love it. I use a 50/50 crusting buttercream (medium consistency) and roll it right away. Then after it has crusted I lightly roll it again. I've been using this idea before it was posted on CC and use a different roller. I have not tried the one she suggested. I thought about trying that one but why change from what's working for me. Here's a link to a picture of it:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-1281151-.html#1281151

It's on the bottom of the second page.

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 1:56pm
post #12 of 60

It worked beautifully for me. I have the yellow one from Walmart. It's a long one, so I don't get tracks. I didn't measure it...maybe five or six inches wide. I rest the edge on the cake plate and just whip it around the entire cake. It was like magic! I use a lightly crusting BC, and it wasn't super lumpy when I did the final smoothing. So, maybe that was the trick. I haven't tried it on the heavy crusting BC...nor with a cake that was a long way from smooth.

deb12g Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deb12g Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 1:58pm
post #13 of 60

Works great for me! I don't have to wait very long before using it. And, go slow and light. If the icing sticks to the roller, you didn't wait long enough for it to crust. This has saved me LOTS of time when finishing a cake!

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 2:07pm
post #14 of 60

Works GREAT for me every time! I did purchase the high density rollers in 4 and 6 inch and have used them both with great success.
Roll away roll away roll away all! icon_smile.gif

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 2:15pm
post #15 of 60

I'll never be without my roller again!!! I bought the high density 6" roller but the 2" roller was not the high density and it doesn't work. I was having so much trouble making my cakes smooth that I was ready to give up. Now that I use 'Melvira's Method' I do a much bettter job. The only icing I have tried it with is the buttercream made with all Crisco.

Diane

fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 2:18pm
post #16 of 60

Works great for me when I use the Wilton's class buttercream but I'm having trouble with it when I used buttercream dream. I'm not sure why. Maybe I let it sit out too long in the refrigerator.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 2:37pm
post #17 of 60

Another thing you can try which is similar to Melvira's method is take a triangle of parchment paper, lay that over the crusted buttercream and take a fondant smoother and smooth it out. That works well too.

christabelle682 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christabelle682 Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 2:41pm
post #18 of 60

I used this method last week and it worked so well for me, I can't wait to use it again! I teach Wilton and wish I could teach it to my students!! I used a 4 inch foam roller, that was very thick/dense.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 3:14pm
post #19 of 60

It works fantastically for me....my instructor and the other students were all very inquisitive about how the heck I got my icing so smooth! I told them all about CC and the Melvira Method.
Not all techniques will work for everyone...thats just the way it goes sometimes...for those its not working for, I would e-mail her, Melvira, and ask what might help.
thumbs_up.gif

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 3:22pm
post #20 of 60

You know, I can't even find the rollers. Everything I see is 4"!!! I would like to try the method but honestly, the method I use works well for me. I use Viva and my small and large angeled spatula. I also have a different technique I use for my edges/corners. I've done it for so long that it's very quick.

I am going to keep looking for these infamous rollers. I will try it I just hope they aren't expensive because I would hate to waste my money on them.

Amy

bambuf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bambuf Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 3:23pm
post #21 of 60

I am very new to cake decorating (have always done cookies) and I tried the Melvira Method and I absolutely loved it. Wish it worked better for you because it has been the best trick I have learned thus far!

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 3:25pm
post #22 of 60

Sometimes it seems to work for me...other times it doesnt.......I can tell you if you put parchment paper down first (before you roll) you will not get the tracking marks....so that is better......but at least for me, it seems to push the icing more than I want it too...........I think my favorite is really the scraper or putty knife.........I love how you can just set it on the cake board, spin the turntable and it smooths!

rhopar33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhopar33 Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 3:27pm
post #23 of 60

Seems to work so-so for me, although seems like I have to add more liquid to soften my B/C. I use it over my Viva papertowels but can't seem to get the bottom not, but oh well, I put a border on that anyway!

rocketgirl96 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketgirl96 Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 3:30pm
post #24 of 60

It works every single time for me! You are a genius Melvira! icon_smile.gif
I only use the wilton BC though (all crisco) so I'm not sure how it works on other icings but for me, my cakes have never been so smooth.
For those that can't seem to find one, I found a high density roller (6") at Lowes. It's not the same as the one Melvira posted because she got hers from a different store, but it's high density. Mine cost be around $3, I think so not very expensive for those that want to try it. I am loving it. So quick and easy (except if you're a perfectionist like I am and then it takes way longer than it should hahaha).

Christine

wesmanfamily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wesmanfamily Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 3:36pm
post #25 of 60

I have only used it once so far, but I really loved it. I liked it so well I called my girlfriend that teaches Wilton classes to ask her if she had heard of it or tried it yet. She is also a CC member. She haden't tried it until I told her it was amazing. She tried it out and liked it so much that she showed her students at the next Wilton class. I love the results that you get!

sweetviolent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolent Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 3:37pm
post #26 of 60

loooove it !!! it has been a lifesaver for me- light light touch , I also found it helps bigtime with square corners- I hold a spatulas on one side of the corner and roll up to it, oh and when i have to even up sides or the frosting is too thick- i just use a little extra pressure-and it smooths it right down to the bottom edge!

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 3:38pm
post #27 of 60

It has taken me a few times, but I finally got it to work and it is nice.

Rachel

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 3:43pm
post #28 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkerton

Sometimes it seems to work for me...other times it doesnt.......I can tell you if you put parchment paper down first (before you roll) you will not get the tracking marks....so that is better......but at least for me, it seems to push the icing more than I want it too...........I think my favorite is really the scraper or putty knife.........I love how you can just set it on the cake board, spin the turntable and it smooths!

I 1000% agree you with the on the scraper. I have a pastry scraper/cutter (metal) that I use after the initial icing. I use that to scrape off excess and at the same time it gives me my sharp edges. I use my other tools to help smooth but the turntable and the scraper is the best and so fast!!!!!

Amy

Gale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gale Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 3:43pm
post #29 of 60

I love this method! It has definitely helped me. I love getting that smooth look!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 3:44pm
post #30 of 60

I have tried it on the last 3 BC cakes I've done. It worked great! I do not use the Wilton BC and it worked just fine with the BC recipe I use. I do not use the paper towels any more. I just use a light touch and have had no problem. It seems to work better for me each time. The rollers are not the same as the one Melvira used, but it is high density. I got it at HD and it was only $3.49 and $3.29 for 3 refills.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%