Meringue Based Buttercream Confusion!

Decorating By aandsmommy Updated 19 Apr 2007 , 1:15pm by berryblondeboys

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 6:38pm
post #31 of 36

I only use the meringue powder for my meringue buttercream - I have had no success with using real egg whites, but it always comes together easily and perfectly when using the meringue powder.

You can use the meringe buttercream with fondant and the bc doesn't have to be refrigerated. It will last longer in the fridge, however.

fat-sissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fat-sissy Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 1:39pm
post #32 of 36

Glad to find this post. I think I'll make some next week.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 2:30pm
post #33 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisha311

Shirley,

In the recipe you referred to, it says to whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form, how do you know what the peaks look like? I have seen my egg whites turn to foam, is that what you mean? I have wondered about this for some time and would like to venture out and make a meringue based icing this weekend.

Thanks.

By the way, I didn't mean to hijack the post!

Kisha,
I consider them to be stiff peaks when you can pull the beater attachment out, lift up on the whites and they make a peak that holds it's shape but the tip falls over just at the end. If you whip them until you can pull a spatula through the center and it leaves a trough that does not come back together, they are too stiff and dry. They need to build up in volume, if they are only foamy they will break down as you add the butter and the icing will be too soft and soupy.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 12:43pm
post #34 of 36

I just have to jump in to say that I made ShirleyW's IMBC recipe last night and it is absolutely divine. It was my first time making any sort of the Eurpoean BCs and oh WOW! Absolutely loved it.

Dare I say goodbye to my regular "too sweet" BC recipe??? I just might have to!

kisha311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisha311 Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 12:58pm
post #35 of 36

Thanks for the information Shirley. I will definitely give this icing another try next week. I need to buy some more butter! icon_cool.gif

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 1:15pm
post #36 of 36

is there any literature out there that says you can keep this frosting out for TWO DAYS? I'm afraid to leave buttercream out for more than 2-3 hours!!! This will make my life a lot easier if I don' thave to worry about letting it sit out for 5-8 hours or a bit longer!

Melissa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%