What Do You Charge For Sheet Cakes?

Business By cookielicious Updated 12 Jan 2006 , 3:35am by MommyEdzards

cookielicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookielicious Posted 6 Jan 2006 , 6:54pm
post #1 of 17

What does everyone charge for sheet cakes?
I know we are all in different areas, but just curious.
Especially the 11x15 or 12x18?
Thanks!

16 replies
briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 6 Jan 2006 , 6:57pm
post #2 of 17

I am in texas.. I charge 35 torted and filled BC or whipped icing for an 11X15.. Yes it really depends on where you live.. It's pretty hard here to get any more than that.. Sometimes people just don't know the value of your work!

cakebybek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebybek Posted 6 Jan 2006 , 7:01pm
post #3 of 17

I am in Michigan and I get 35-40 for 11x15 and 45-50 for the 12x18 for min. decorations price can be higher for moer decorations.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 6 Jan 2006 , 7:42pm
post #4 of 17

Moderator Edit; Moved to "Cake Decorating Business" Thanks!!

cakebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebabe Posted 6 Jan 2006 , 8:24pm
post #5 of 17

I'm in central IN.

I get $26 for an 11x15.
I get $40 for a 12x18.

All of my sheets are single layer, no fillings.
This ncludes most decorations. but I do charge extra for lots of fondant accents and for GP and chocolate pieces.

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 6 Jan 2006 , 8:29pm
post #6 of 17

I'm in Georgia: I get $35 quarter sheet and $45 for half sheet and $60 for a full. These are double layers all buttercream with drawing or flowers.

cookielicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookielicious Posted 6 Jan 2006 , 9:04pm
post #7 of 17

I was going to charge $40.00 for a 12x18. Looks like I was in the right range! Thanks!

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 10 Jan 2006 , 4:20pm
post #8 of 17

I only charge $25 for an 11 X 15" and $30 for a 12 X 18" which is significantly lower than the rest of you, but I wonder how do you compete with Sam's and Costco? I live within minutes of both, so at least for me, I have to consider this. The price I charge doesn't include extras like fillings, torting, or elaborate designs, but I do wish I could get more for my cakes. For me I think it would be a risky thing to try.
Is there anyone else in the Kansas City area that charges more than I do??? Just curious.

wendysue Posted 10 Jan 2006 , 4:25pm
post #9 of 17

I only charge $25 for an 11 X 15" and $30 for a 12 X 18" which is significantly lower than the rest of you, but I wonder how do you compete with Sam's and Costco? I live within minutes of both, so at least for me, I have to consider this. The price I charge doesn't include extras like fillings, torting, or elaborate designs, but I do wish I could get more for my cakes. For me I think it would be a risky thing to try.
Is there anyone else in the Kansas City area that charges more than I do??? Just curious.

mikaza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mikaza Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 4:29pm
post #10 of 17

I get $60 for an 11x15--but its also double thick (2 layers of cake, each torted and filled)

I dont try to compete with Sam's and Costco--people are welcome to go there if they want, and they will get a great quality cake.

What I offer is different though--home made taste, with a completely custom design.

Its the difference between ordering out for pizza, and making it at home...sometimes I am in the mood for the Dominos $5 bucks deal...and sometimes I want the taste of a fresh tomato on a warm chewy crust grilled on an open flame. I always end up spending more when I make my own pizza, but it hits a different spot!

wendysue Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 4:42pm
post #11 of 17

I think I'm going to reprice my cakes by a couple dollars and see what happens. I know the price of sugar has gone up in my area over the last year, and the silly boxes and cake boards are very expensive.
One thing though for those of you who charge $30 + for an 11 X 15" are you using a 2" deep pan or 3"? I only use a 2". I think for torting and filling you should get $35-$40 no problem.

VACakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VACakelady Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 2:29am
post #12 of 17

I just recently adjusted my prices based on the 3x cost method. Some of my prices really jumped, so I lowered some a couple dollars. I now charge $26 for 11x15 and $31 for 12x18. These are just 2" thick sheet cakes with buttercream and basic decoration.

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 2:42am
post #13 of 17

I charge $25.00 for a 11 x 15 and $30.00 for a 12 x 18. These are 2 1/2 in high and basic decorating. If it has a lot of extras I charge a little more, but I am actually a little higher than the bakeries. I am told I should charge more, but I do it by word of mouth from family and friends, work full time, and teach classes at the local community college, plus family. I keep pretty busy so I am OK with it for now. I dont like that part of it! Crazy, but I enjoy it!

snicker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snicker Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 3:06am
post #14 of 17

WendySue
I live in Spring Hill!! I charge $25 for a 9x13, and$40 for a half sheet.
That is NOT torted and filled, however I will sometimes do that and charge a little more. You should have no problem going up on your prices! People will eventually learn that your product is superior to those wholesale cakes and plastic decorations!! (I know where your talking about, one on one side of I35 and one on the other, they have their pick!!!) I've had to learn that if I'm confident in my price and in my product people will not question me, I have a rule that I don't preheat my oven for less that $25 PERIOD! Its not worth the stress and time away from my kids! BTW nice to meet a neighbor online!! icon_biggrin.gif

wendysue Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 3:14am
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by snicker

WendySue
I live in Spring Hill!! I charge $25 for a 9x13, and$40 for a half sheet.
That is NOT torted and filled, however I will sometimes do that and charge a little more. You should have no problem going up on your prices! People will eventually learn that your product is superior to those wholesale cakes and plastic decorations!! (I know where your talking about, one on one side of I35 and one on the other, they have their pick!!!) I've had to learn that if I'm confident in my price and in my product people will not question me, I have a rule that I don't preheat my oven for less that $25 PERIOD! Its not worth the stress and time away from my kids! BTW nice to meet a neighbor online!! icon_biggrin.gif

Snicker,
I hear ya! I'm more and more certain I'm not charging enough. You're post is very appreciated... living so close to me, I have a better idea based on what you charge... what I might charge. Thanks for the help! Now if I could just get my husband off the phone so he could help me get these kids to bed all would be great with the world! icon_cry.gif

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 3:29am
post #16 of 17

Hi!
I am in centeral Ia. I charge $30 for an 11x15 & $40 for a 12x18. They are not torted/filled-that is not commonly done in this area. They are a 2" cake. Good luck!

MommyEdzards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyEdzards Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 3:35am
post #17 of 17

I am in Lees Summit, MO and I charge $35 for 11x15 filled and torted.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%