The Best Way To Make Black Mmf???

Decorating By tabs8774 Updated 11 Jan 2006 , 10:31pm by Doug

tabs8774 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tabs8774 Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 4:47pm
post #1 of 21

hey i need to make black mmf for a cke in less than a month. and i know that ive seen alot of topics about making this but cant seem to find exactly what im looking for now(isnt that the way it goes.. if your looking forget it and you'll find it?). i thought about using the powdered black but im worried about it blending as well. then there is the paste but i need BLACK not gray at all so what should i do?? tia for reading and helping me out. icon_biggrin.gif

20 replies
Cake_Geek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Geek Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 4:49pm
post #2 of 21

The difficulty getting black depends on how much you need to make. I made a small amount to make a witch's hat for halloween and it came out jet black. I did stop adding color when it was a dark grey and the next day it was black.

If you make a large amount, you'll probably use quite a bit of color as well as lose quite a bit of strength in your hands from kneeding. I say, employ a spouse or kid for this. icon_smile.gif

tabs8774 Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 4:56pm
post #3 of 21

thank you for the quick reply thumbs_up.gif .. i have 4 kids so the kneading will be "dispursed" evenly. haha icon_lol.gif if i make some this wk end it will be ok wrapped in plastic wrap in the fridge for about 3-4 wks... right? that way it will be sure to darken to black (hopefully) icon_smile.gif thank you again

ColorBoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ColorBoy Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 5:15pm
post #4 of 21

Pardon me but what is mmf ?

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 5:16pm
post #5 of 21

homemade Fondant, based on MarshMallows....MMF

ColorBoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ColorBoy Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 5:34pm
post #6 of 21

Dont know about marshmellows but I know you can reach a black fondant using our super black...all FDA approved color will darken over time this is called oxidation so you need to practice to end up with the color you want on your end procuct

Let me know if you try Super Black Soft Gel Paste and how it come out icon_smile.gif

Cake_Geek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Geek Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 5:41pm
post #7 of 21

No need to put it in the fridge. Just wrap it tightly in some lightly crisco coated plastic wrap and then in a zip top bag. When you go to use it, just nuke it for like 5 seconds and kneed it a bit with some more crisco. It will come back to new.

tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 5:43pm
post #8 of 21

As mentioned it will depend on the amount that you are making. If you need a large amount then put the colouring in when the marshmallows are melted, before you add the powdered sugar. If it's a small amount you need then colour as you go.

Also, do not put it into the fridge. There is nothing in the MMF that will 'go bad'. Just make sure it's wrapped tightly and stored carefully and you will be good to go.

MelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelC Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 5:45pm
post #9 of 21

With regular fondant you can add chocolate or cocoa powder to get some of the darkness first... less colour needed that way, and YUMMY!

Chef_Mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Mommy Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 6:08pm
post #10 of 21

I just made a cake for new years that I needed black MMF. I used Ateco- super black and it came out perfect just a small drop of the gel, at first it was dark grey but by the time I was putting it on my cake it was blacak and perfect. Here is the cake I made.

Jackie
LL

Chef_Mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Mommy Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 6:10pm
post #11 of 21

oops! Sorry can't really see much of the black on the sides.

Jackie

tabs8774 Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 6:12pm
post #12 of 21

i thought about the cocoa but was worried about it being to dry. should i decrease the ps a little, to even out the dry ingredients? i do add cocoa to my black bc and it works great. maybe if i did both? added the color with the marshmallows and the cocoa with the sugar? this is for a darth maul cloak that has to cover a wig head and drape around, so i need alot... im so excited about thisa cake now!!! thanks so much every one!!

MelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelC Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 6:48pm
post #13 of 21

Sorry, I don't know abut making MMF ... I always buy my chocolate fondant pre-made, then I airbrush black over it (I did this for 2 different Darth Vader cakes)

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 10:34pm
post #14 of 21

For dark colors-no matter what size batch I make, I always add my gel color to the melted marshmellows. Get the MM to the color you want then you can start adding in your PS and let it sit for about 1/2 hr after needing in the ps and any white will turn to your color.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 6 Jan 2006 , 3:18pm
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

For dark colors-no matter what size batch I make, I always add my gel color to the melted marshmellows. Get the MM to the color you want then you can start adding in your PS and let it sit for about 1/2 hr after needing in the ps and any white will turn to your color.

I did the same thing with my batman cake..I needed a nice dark black and I added the color with the melted marshmellows. It turned out looking like a really cool black leather!

fytar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fytar Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 9:55pm
post #16 of 21

I'm making a keyboard (music not computer) cake and I'll need black fondant. Has anyone used the black Wilton Spray that comes in a can? Do you think that would work if I start with Chocolate fondant and spray it black?

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 9:59pm
post #17 of 21

I used to use the wilton sprays some. If you start with chocolate fondant I think it would work. If you started with white and tried to spray it black with the wilton I don't think it would look nice. (too hard to control the spray evenly and it would take a LOT!)

ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 10:00pm
post #18 of 21

I don't know if you're interested in Wilton's fondant, but they make black fondant in their multi pack.

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=0D29B5A2-475A-BAC0-5F6AC8F3DDF3786D

fytar Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 10:06pm
post #19 of 21

Thanks Amy. That was another question I had. I wondered if it would look splotchy.

fytar Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 10:24pm
post #20 of 21

ChrisJ, I looked at that and I'll need more than that. I'm going to play around with candy clay tonight to see if it ends up too hard to use to cover a cake and if not then I'm going to add black color paste to it and see if that will get me the desired color. Thanks for replying.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 10:31pm
post #21 of 21

i needed black fondant once....

but I didn't make it.

instead made gray (ok just how do you spell it!?!?!?!?)

and then painted it w/ black color for a true jet black.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%