Can We Have A Whining Session For A Moment???

Lounge By Cake_Geek Updated 7 Jan 2006 , 2:12am by okieinalaska

Cake_Geek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Geek Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 1:02pm
post #1 of 14

I'm soooo tired icon_cry.gif

Work has been horrendous this week. I had dates mixed up and project I'm not even finished coding that I thought was going for demo on 1/31 is actually to go to pilot testing. My boss is pulling task priority on me and adding another horrendous task to be completed before I leave for vacation on the 15th.

I've been baking and cooking non-stop after I get home from work since Saturday (except Monday) for my friend and for cakes due end of next week. I only stopped early last night b/c I had to iron clothes to wear to work this week!!

I gave DH dinner and a cake to take to our friend's house last night in disposable containers so nothing had to be left there. He left everything including my oven mitts!! So I'm done a set of mitts, a tray, and a silpat! Now I need to go by on my way home to get them. And I'm embarrassed b/c my mitts look awful despite being clean! I really need new mitts.

OK, whine over for now... tapedshut.gif

13 replies
bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 2:16pm
post #2 of 14

My turn. Baby dd was up for 2 hrs last night. What's the pc term for a non-sleeping, hyper, into to everything child? Maybe when she learns how to walk she'll burn more energy and finally sleep thru the night? icon_razz.gif

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 2:35pm
post #3 of 14

bubblezmom-is she around a year old? My ds was sleeping thru the night great and then when he got close to a year BOOM he was waking up like crazy. I read it's normal and for him it only lasted maybe 2-3 weeks I think. He's back to normal now, thank goodness!!!

and I think the term would be "she's exploring her surroundings with all the excitement and wonder a little one can have!" Good luck! icon_smile.gif

MainCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MainCake Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 3:43pm
post #4 of 14

barefoot contessa - I can so understand where you are coming from! I get frustrated with my husband sometimes because he comes home and he's done for the day. I know he works hard, but sometimes I just want a little understanding (empathy would be nice too) that my day doesn't end until my head his the pillow! You have my empathy contessa icon_rolleyes.gif

bubblezmom, the pc term would be 'Sebastien' (that's my son's name). Everything you described is my son thru and thru, only you forgot determined and defiant. Not to be personal but are you nursing? My son didn't sleep thru the night until about two months after I stopped nursing him. I stopped a little bit earlier than I wanted to (he was about nine months) because he was using me as a pacifier. He would only sleep in our bed and he would wake up every time he realized he was no longer nursing. I would wake up several times a night and in the morning I was tired and sore everywhere. He is 21 months (today actually) and sleeps thru the night perfectly now unless he's not feeling well. My husband set up his big bed last Friday, just to get him accustomed to seeing it (the boy hates change!) and to our shock, he loved it and refused to sleep in his crib. So I had to scramble for sheets and a blanket. I really wasn't prepared for him to be ready to sleep in it. He looks so small in it! I'm so proud of him, but sad at the same time. My baby isn't a baby anymore. He's my first and only so I'm trying to hold onto as much as I can and it's just going too fast! icon_cry.gif

dodibug Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 3:51pm
post #5 of 14

rvallee's post made me think I am very lucky!! I'm still breastfeeding (ds is 14 mos but he only bf 1xper day now) but he started sleeping thru the night at about 7 mos. Granted it took about 6 weeks of a new routine to accomplish it and I had to change his before bed feeding to a before bath feeding. Typically he liked to bf to sleep. We did and said the same thing every single night and he finally got it!! He started sleeping 10-12 hours at night. Changing the last feeding to before his bath made a huge difference. He was the same way though. He would only sleep with us with the same results. So at 2 am one morning I was crying and ordering the book "No Cry Sleep Solution" because I couldn't stand that "cry it out" method!!

Good luck!!

MainCake Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 6:14pm
post #6 of 14

dodibug, I couldn't do the cry it out method either. It just made me feel so bad to hear him cry when I knew I could do something to make him feel better. And my son has a piercing cry. When he was very little, his cry would literally hurt your ears. My husband has a very loud voice that carries and my son will have it too, that I'm sure of. You are very lucky. I wanted to nurse for his first year anyway, then wean him slowly. I wasn't very lucky in the fact that I couldn't nurse him exclusively. I had to supplement with formula because I just couldn't make enough to satisfy him. But it worked out because I ended up going back to work after 10 weeks and my mom was able to watch him. Thankfully he took both bottle and nursed no problem.

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 8:05pm
post #7 of 14

I am the youngest in my family and have been around a lot of babies. I only remember one worse than my baby dd. Baby dd is high-needs which is a fancy way of saying she's been a pain in the neck. icon_smile.gif

Baby dd didn't sleep at night in utero and still has sleep issues. She would scream at the sound of lullabye music. She has never been soothed by the patting and "shh, shhh" method.

She did not tolerate breastmilk, Enfamil, Goodstart, Enfamil Soy, or Nutramigen. I got a sample in the mail of Similac Isomil Supreme. It said on the can that it was guaranteed to work in 3 days. 36hrs later the constant fussiness stopped. (thank God for small favors)

If someone outside the immediate family even looked at her she would start to cry. She finally decided other people were ok this past month. Before when we would try to leave her with people she would scream non-stop until we returned.

She goes all day non-stop, but only needs a 1/2hr nap. She seems to have read a book on 101 ways to torture your parents and is determined to try them all. icon_razz.gif

If one more person tells me that I've spoiled her, I make choke that unfortunate soul. icon_biggrin.gif Baby dd came into this world tough as nails. Her temperment is like that of a willful toddler instead of crawling baby.

dodibug Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 8:26pm
post #8 of 14

Take a look at the book "The Baby Whisperer" She talks about different types of babies and how to respond to them. She has some interesting ideas!

Funny, the shh, shh used to tick my son off too. He does like the Baby Einstien lullybyes though.

Cady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cady Posted 5 Jan 2006 , 11:27pm
post #9 of 14

ok i have to add to the calming down your baby... When my 1st son was about 2mts. he got sick and I swear he was up crying for days (that how i felt) well i was sooo tired and my voice was horse from being so tired that i tried to sing to him and it sounded more like a old car that is getting ready to stall...lol Well he stopped crying and went to sleep FINALLY!! I guess he thought if he had to listen to that he was better off alseep!!

MainCake Posted 6 Jan 2006 , 1:44pm
post #10 of 14

Hey contessa, are things going better now that it's Friday?

kellyh57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyh57 Posted 6 Jan 2006 , 5:59pm
post #11 of 14

Hey, I'm not the only one who sleeps with my baby and nurses all night! I am so embarrassed to tell people that he sleeps with me. I used to sleep in the recliner with him and my husband had the bed but a few months ago we switched. He sleeps in the spare room and us in the bed. Husband tried sleeping with us, but just can't do it. I feel safer anyway with just us! Jared turned one last week so I'm trying to wean, but he just doesn't like food. The doctor said it may take a while but to keep trying different foods. I figure I'll get rid of the day nursings then work on the night. We did it with Grant and he did awesome. Of course, he ate baby food and regular food normally and slept in his crib too...I just keep envisioning Jared at 12 still nursing! I just have to keep reminding myself that in many other countries nursing and co-sleeping is normal until 2 or 3.

Kelly

MelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelC Posted 6 Jan 2006 , 6:39pm
post #12 of 14

Both my kids slept with me (& DH) and nursed until almost 2 yrs! Don't be embarassed - you're doing the best possible thing for your child!

Another plus for us co-sleepers... they don't know why, but the risk of SIDS is lower in babies that co-sleep with their parents! And don't believe the scare-mongering specials you see on the news periodically about co-sleeping... all of their statistics are based on ALL smothering deaths... including babies left alone in a waterbed, those in cribs with pillows and bumpers, etc, babies left in armchairs with pillows, etc, etc. The actual numbers for co-sleeping accidents are actually MUCH lower, and usually involve a known risk factor (like sleep apnea, drug or alcohol use, etc) For me, the risk of SIDS was MUCH scarier! Add to that the fact that my babies could be fed & back to sleep with neither of us really waking up... can't beat it! (However, once my kids approached the age of 2, they started getting more active in bed, and my DH & I would wake up perched on opposite edges of the bed, with the child spread out diagonally in the middle! That's when we knew it was time for their own beds... neer used a crib!)

My son flat out refused ALL baby food too... home made, and every brand/flavour I could find! I finally started feeding him yogurt (the kiddie stuff which is actually "fromage frais" like Minigo, and he LOVED IT!! Mushed bananas were also very popular. Aside from nursing, that's all he would eat until he was almost 18 months!

He's now almost 2-1/2 and is still pretty picky, but getting better every day!

dodibug Posted 7 Jan 2006 , 12:39am
post #13 of 14

Congratulations to you Kelly! Breastfeeding is the hardest but most rewarding thing I have ever done for my son! He was 8 weeks early and it took him unitl he was about 11 or 12 weeks old to breastfeed so in the meantime I would feed him, pump while he was laying upright on my legs (he had reflux) wash everything and get ready for the next feeding. I was so glad when he learned to take the breast!!!! We still co-sleep for his early morning feeding (the only one he still takes)! Go with your gut and do what you know is best for your baby!

Contessa-How did Friday treat you??? Better I hope. Take a weekend breather! icon_smile.gif

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 7 Jan 2006 , 2:12am
post #14 of 14

Another breastfeeding co-sleeper here (and cloth diaper user)... : )

I recommend the baby whisperer too. But where it really helped me out was when she got a little bit older and wanted to make choices and didn't want change....

for example: I said it was time to get out of the bath. She threw a fit...

baby whisperer taught me a better way:

after reading it I would say: ok you can push the button (to let the water out) or I can push the button. (bottom line is you are getting out of the tub, LOL)

Worked like a dream. Sometimes it was hard thinking up the choices to offer though, LOL.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%